Are all the UO players gone?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blitz101, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A reminder that we do not use the word "Carebears" here in the forums as a derogatory comment.

2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

A reminder that we do not use the term ******** here in the forums. Thanks.

3. Brother Oak

Brother Oak Avatar

I get what you're saying, but Shardfalls are still presented like a PvP arena, where people specifically go to PvP. I'd like to see 40/50% of the world be PvP flagged, a bit like Eve Online's low/nullsec. So it's like PvE areas but with added risk.

Time Lord and Modu like this.
  4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

We don't need a uo pvp System.
    We can farm enough tears here on the forum as soon as the topic comes up, lol.

5. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

Risk makes for more satisfying reward.

6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh but it is risky.
    You might get moderated or even banned.

Apollyon9515, Time Lord and Armar like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Isn't going to happen. And 100% of the world is PvP flagged right now for those that choose to forsake the protection of the Oracle. It is the PvP Community that has access to 100% of the map today. The PvE community has already ceded the Shardfalls, the three game supported PvP non-shardfall scenes including the soon to be "Bucaneer's Den", and all Player Owned Towns whose Governors choose to flag as PvP+.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Time Lord and Baalice like this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Present!!

Uo best game on this earth imop, sota will be good even though its missing alot of that uo charm.

I bet givin time it will have some charm to call its own.

Time Lord and Snowdog like this.
  9. Brother Oak

Brother Oak Avatar

Flagging yourself doesn't really work, it's just a voluntary disadvantage. I don't think many people will participate in that system. I like the way the devs talk about increased risk for increased reward. Make risking PvP something enticing and exciting, not just a downgrade flag.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

As is ceding access to the PvP+ scenes.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Time Lord and Baalice like this.
  11. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

that doenst sound all too voluntarily to me tbh. ^^

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thinking you would get UO2 is as [redacted] as thinking this will be a new Ultima 7, although something in between was promised but hey that was a long time ago ^^

We get a completely new game it seems. Maybe it can get there in the future... The base is there to become really great... It's a 50\50 thing.

I play it a lot, and I have fun. But we desperately need more content, and sandbox elements... and no I don't mean a new house to decorate.

Good thing is they seem to be recruiting.. that means it can't be going too bad for the game. On the other hand it is still several month until launch,
    and I have no idea how with the current mediocre reviews and the ruined reputation on steam, it can attract more players.

This will be the biggest challenge.

Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Where have all the UOers gone?
    Long time passing
    Long time ago

Young girls have killed them everyone
    Oh, when will they ever learn?
    Oh, when will they ever learn?

Apollyon9515, Time Lord and Vescovo like this.
  14. brentw

brentw Avatar

I would usually agree, but in the state SoTA is in at the moment the last thing I want is to deal with is PvP.
    The combat in a game actually needs to be fun for PvP to work and not just be a pointlessly annoying and frustrating experience.

Time Lord and Armar like this.
  15. Armar

Armar Avatar

We got Wasteland 2, a formidable game in the true spirit of its anchestor. We will get the new Torment soon, which looks very promising, Warren Spector is now working on System Shock 3 and i am sure he will not "Forsake his Virtues" like Lord ******** did.

So why do you think there cant be an UO2 or new Ultima 7?

Yes, it had. I now got the idea why the game is called "Forsaken Virtues"......

Apollyon9515, Time Lord and brentw like this.
  16. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

The reason immature kiddie words like '********' are moderated is because everyone knows they are just 'cute' words people use when they want to say something far worse. That's not censorship. You can get your point across without insulting people. Well, maybe 'you' can't but most people can.

I still have an active UO account from September 1997. I've been through all the changes. I'm well aware of how 'some' players loved the dark ages before Trammel/Felucca. That's great but it's no wonder it didn't last. How long are people gonna stay butthurt over that split from like 13 (thirteen!!) years ago? Give it a rest already.

As far as SotA, what exactly were you expecting? This was never billed as the successor to UO. It was going to have elements from the single player Ultimas and UO but not some direct translation of it into 3D. PvP was 'always' going to be consensual so why were you so shocked to find this out in the game? If this were open PvP from the start, I wouldn't be here. I certainly wouldn't be trying to force development away from their direction by crying about it. I never played EVE Online. I knew what that was about and knew I wasn't going to like it. I didn't go to their forums complaining about open PvP.

Considering your posts in this thread, I have to ask: Why are you still here? You've obviously made up your mind about the game already. No need to haunt the forums with your attitude. It's perfectly simple. If you want respect for your gameplay style and the things that make a great game 'to you', be an adult and give some to the many varied people in these forums that all have different views on it. You get what you give. You want to talk about RG and his 'forsaken virtues'? How about you figure out what your 'virtues' are first 'cause right now, you sound like a hypocrite.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Time Lord, Modu and Jens_T like this.
  17. Armar

Armar Avatar

Hi,

Interesting, for me its a description of a play/game-style i dont like.

Yes, it sure is censorship. And a extremely pathetic one.

Why should i give "a rest" to the best gaming online gaming experience ever? I just move on to a different game. SotA is really catering for the game aspects/features i liked the least from UO: Items, Housing, money grinding, and, low and behold, it even has taxes, LoooooL. And i especially hate the store where you can buy in-game items.

Well, they kinda marketing it as UO successor but its clearly not. I did read up on SotA only back when it had been on kickstarter and never really did read into it since then. I just thought ill give the game a try. I thought "they" cant be so insane to make the chars fully unlootable. This had been a real Shock. You have a resurrection point nearly always very close and then everything stays on you? How lame is this? In Shadowbane you would keep your armor/cloth and readied weapons. Thats a compromise. This decission alone shows where the game is going and which priorities "they", or Mr. Garriot have/has.

It had been more shocked about keeping all of my stuff on death. I had been shocked by Cities full of player owned houses with gazillions of Vendors no one needs in front. Not to mention how laggy the game is. The PVE is pretty lame too. Like someone else said, it seems to be a game for people who want a kind medieval second life with some undisturbed PVE.

No wonder most of the UO Players are leaving. Early UO had been about PvP, making your own story. Not about buying fancy hats and houses in online stores for (a real lot of) real-life cash. You didnt need any fancy equipment in UO. You needed reagents and maybe some cheap skull armor, done.

Further i cant see the "elements from single player Ultimas". Where are they? So far the quests had been utterly lame, mostly Fed-Ex quests. Where is the "compelling story line"? How long is this game in development again? Do you really think they will ever introduce something only remotely reminding of the great stories of the old Ultimas? I doubt it.

LooL. So far i did made 4 postings in a thread with the topic "Are all the UO players gone". And you call this "haunting the forums with my attitude". - You and this game are a perfect match.

I am moving onward to this, looks more fun, to me.

I dont need nor want respect for my playstyle. I just write off the 45 USD for SotA and move to another realm.

I am not the guy selling fancy hats, wings and pipes on an online shop. An pathetic end for the Ultima Series and a very sad one.

[removed by Berek]

// Armar

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2016
    Apollyon9515 and Time Lord like this.
  18. Blitz101

Blitz101 Avatar

Look dude we get your passionate about the dark ages of UO. So am I but this is still alpha.

Theres nothing really constructive about what you posted. It was a wall of angry text. Yes you put in 45 dollars, no it's not looking very much like ultima at this moment but you have two choices. Wait it out and see what the end product is or leave and don't come back. You want to change the game and help shape it? Try changing your attitude and people might be more receptive to hearing what you have to say.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Alexander, Time Lord and Baalice like this.
  19. Baalice

Baalice Avatar

Then why didn't you just 'say' that? That's my point. There's a difference between not liking something and just being derogatory.

Not at all. Had you stated it like above, it wouldn't have been touched. You just want to call people stuff and not have it removed or else it's censorship. Big difference.

Yep, and every one nothing but complaining. That's pretty much what haunting a forum is. I see other people adding nothing to the forum discussions too that haven't changed their tune at all and have been here a good while. What's the point, exactly?

Finally something in your 4 posts (of mostly complaining) that actually states anything sensible.

Sounds good. Take care.

Rufus D`Asperdi, Tibs and Time Lord like this.
  20. Armar

Armar Avatar

Which kind of constructive stuff could i post in a thread about UO players leaving SotA?

The game mechanic decissions are all made and i am sure all aspects of PvP+ versus PvP- and full/partial/no looting have been discussed years ago already. This game clearly (over) emphasizes Crafting and Housing. Aspects i never had been really interested in. I logged out at the bank and had a box in a friends house in old UO. Thats it. I wont spend my cash nor my gametime for building a house and then game-taxes to sustain it. I never understood how people could like this.

And who wants to stay in a game where you are not allowed to say "********" in the forums? "Lovepanda" is probably next because someone could feel insulted.

Looking at the state of the game, the game mechanics in place, the online store, the gazillions of empty player houses with rows of vendors in front, i know this game is not for me and will most probably never be. If they ever happen to implement a story like the classic Ultimashad i may come back and check it out but i doubt this will ever happen.

Quote from the Kickstarter campaign:
    We all know those projects take longer than announced but i dont even see the first steps to a "compelling story" line.

I should have known that this would be a disapointment but i followed my urge to try it after i did read about the final char wipe. My mistake....

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.