Are we going to start the Game, upon actual launch with Skills pre-selected ???

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Weins201, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

@DarkStarr , @Chris, @Attenwood , anyone else on the Dev team -

I am really curious if when the game launches if we are going to start with ANY chosen skills.

If so then this is going to create a problem, as those that fit into any part of those templates are going to have a HUGE head start.

I don't plan on really using any of the chosen templates completely Ranged - No Air, Defiantly no one with Blades, and as a Mage I have no desire for Fire either. I know I am not the only one.

So please if we start with stuff it needs to be pickable, or at least the individual schools need to be able to be chosen; Weapon Types, Spell Trees . . .

2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Damn Skippy! Preach on Grumpie.. Even add one more generic path to the creation questions. And like UO did put a disclaimer this could be tougher!! No starting skills preselected, x amount of points to distrubte where we see fit.

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I would love to see a custom creation option, since it's handy when making the character I want to play :D

4. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Every time this has been brought up the devs have clearly expressed that they aren't going to do this in anyway. I 100% agree that it would be nice if they did though. Mage builds having 5 in every melee weapon is wasted, and having the path of fire forced down the throat is really unfortunate for those who don't want to be a fire mage as their primary casting school. Here's hoping that they listen to those who keep saying let us pick which skill set we want in the "path" they allow us.
    Even if its just as simple as giving a simple extra option of what magic school or melee weapon do you specialize in (if going either of those routes).

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I sure hope the dev's have figured out what the plan is.. and I sure hope they answer in this thread in a timely manner!

FrostII and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I am glad to see others have same question, I am not saying any of these low lever skills are hard to train BUT why should some who want to just glide along and play with one of the choices we have now have a HUGE advantage :-(

Fister Magee and Mordakai like this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If they add the "untrain" option on skills then most of this will be sorta mitigated without having to spend much effort on it.

8. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

No, no, no. Works as planned. You can unskill it if you want. Learn to play the game as designed, it is not that hard.

{Done turning the tables}

But I do agree as many of us have in the past. Old topic, devs do not want to alter the tutorial which depends on these initial skills. I think they would have no problem in E2 when there is more time, but that is just my guess. Lum has enough to do right now, but I get the feeling he understands but has his hands tied... well, tied to the keyboard at least. :p

KuBaTRiZeS, licemeat, Elnoth and 3 others like this.
  9. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I would rather pick all the skills myself. Just give me starting gold and the XP that would be the equivalent of the pre-selected.

Let Arabella gives us an option, "I like to play it dangerously"

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

How exactly, does one go about "unskilling" something GreyMouser2 ?

11. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

They are going to be implementing an untrain feature at the trainers. Has been mentioned in a few threads and during one of the dev hangouts.

Also, technically just locking a skill should untrain it as well, which is why they implemented the maintain option as well (so it actually gets exp to keep it at the same skill level).

Ice Queen, GreyMouser2 and 4EverLost like this.
  12. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

yeah locking doesn't untrain currently, it just lets the xp fall into the negative. maintain prevents it from dropping while "maintaining" current state.. I lock all my gm's at 100 ish and not worry about them, because this wipe cycle m not going above 100 on any skill, so why waste xp maintaining it.. since no matter what it is @100 and the effective skill will never decrease. Only the amount fo xp required to take it to 101 would be the factor.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

For one that does absolutely nothing to offset the head start those that use those skills will have, and two pretty weak since you know I know better than most how to play the game.

Also you have no idea how untraining is done or what it will do - so it is one of the worst speculatory posts I have ever seen. You started it.

To the devs why would you continue down a path that clearly leads where the majority of the players appear to not want to walk. The ability to pick after the last question is/was a start but still does nothing to alter the fact that it handicaps players

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  14. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Currently, no, but long run it should if they stick with what they have said they are going to do.

Ice Queen likes this.
  15. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I get Port wants to tailor the tutorial areas for new players, but, honestly, this has only ever manifested as the help pop ups. I've yet to see any beginner zones that actually required a specific skill set.

Unless they are planning on dropping down new mechanics and story elements in stater zones, I fail to see the need to force everyone to pick from only three skill layouts.

At the point someone is picking customized skills, I don't think having the starting quest specific pop ups is very useful.

Sure, having the help tip that tells you what fire spell to use might come in handy, but some may not want that help.

I know port said they only wanted the "classes" to help tailor the starting experience, but really all that means is they want to make sure the help tips reference the skills a new player has.

16. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

OK. I will fess up since clarity seems necessary. Everything above this part of my quote is paraphrasing as to how you react to other people's suggestions. Guess it would have been better if I used direct quotes concatenated together, but replying on a mobile phone is not always that easy.

Yes, this was intentional, see above.

Quite impressive. We are all in awe. <--That is irony. I am being more clear this time.

@Solstar I agree with you wholeheartedly, but during the real part of my message I was merely pointing out what Lum has said in the past. Agree or not, this has been thoroughly discussed and it seems like a no-go for the devs no matter how many good suggestions we give. Just picking bludgeon instead of swords by picking up the hammer instead of the sword was given a no.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Thanks, Moiseyev, but GreyMouser2 was referring to NOW. I am aware that the plan is to have the ability to "untrain" in the FUTURE.
    Had he said you "will be able to", as opposed to you CAN, then I wouldn't have asked him about his comment..;)

18. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I know, and I even supported it because I thought they actually had to tune the starter scenes for specific skills. When I discovered that the only "tuning" they did was just in the help tips, and that the starting areas could be completed by any mish mash combo of skills...let's just say I no longer support tying virtues to preset skills, regardless of how "Ultima" it's supposed to be.

I reserve the right to change my stance if new game play is introduced, so yeah.

And I get that the decision has already been made. I'm not going to waste any energy screaming at a wall.

19. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Is there even any benefit to untraining a skill? I mean... There's no cap on skills you can have right?

Mordakai likes this.
  20. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

Your experience bar dwindles down as you level up skills - that's your skill cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.