Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Assuming this combat system is almost final...

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by Bubonic, Nov 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

ok. So please keep in mind this is coming from the perspective of someone who will NOT be focusing on pvp, and I have not spent a HUGE amount of time with the system. However, I believe that this perspective is important, because it could possibly represent a decent sized percentage of the SotA user base.

so...
    dunno.

After all the hype and bluster about this being an original combat system, it feels an awful lot like every other mmo combat system i've ever used, ever, with LOTRO being the most recent.

Here's my workflow:

1. build a deck. Sure, its cool i guess, but all i'm really doing is choosing which skills i get to use, instead of being able to choose any skills.

2. attack!

3. click all available buttons

4. wait for said buttons to become available again

5. click all available buttons

6. wait for said buttons to become available again

7. click all available buttons

you get the idea. rarely if ever do i actually look at the characters on screen, im simply looking at the buttons, waiting for them to become available. Most often, i don't even realize when my target has been killed.

its ok, but it certainly doesn't feel original, or different.

Dr Ikirouta, Artair Geal and G Din like this.
  2. Dreamwriter

Dreamwriter Avatar

I dunno, as a primarily magic user, I look and see which buttons pop up - not all attacks are useful in all situations, and some of them are just wasteful to use. Figuring out how many of each thing I should use in a deck for its random popping up is a fun strategy. And when I only have one or two of a certain card in my deck, it's great when it suddenly pops up. Also, having slugs in the deck due to your armor are definitely a unique way of representing how encumbering a full set of armor is on the ability to move and attack.

As for not having to look at the guy you are attacking, that's a common issue on any MMO these days - the only time you have to look at one is if he does some special attack you need to avoid or mitigate in some way.

Artair Geal, Net and Duke Raas like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol I doubt this is a final version of anything. It will go on and on. I've seen games change things way into release,
    so it should keep getting tweaked so keep up the good feedback it is still needed. :)

4. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

please note I said ALMOST final. im sure there will be tweaks, but the combat system is quite fleshed out, and the odds of the basic mechanics changing at this point are so low as to be almost nonexistent.

Joviex likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sometimes its a bad idea to use defense moves because they aren't strong enough and the enemy will attack you during that time while remaining just as healthy. If your attack is stronger, you can wind down their health more effectively than you defend against them. However, if you wait for defense moves to come up before you rush into battle, then you can get an advantage over them before the battle starts. Plus, doing something like a tumble could allow you to gain an advantage to put up a defense move without being attacked at the same time.

Hmm.. they said something about slugs being slated for removal... too many people complaining about them.

Joviex likes this.
  6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I do know what you mean about looking at the keys though. I like the combat myself, but I just know there is a cool way to do it to make it more fun. How about well I am just brainstorming but what if the cards flashed up on the screen kind of see through over the monster/creature/whoever with a number below it and a cool look to them, not that they aren't already but easily discriptive of what they are if not already? I use my number keys anyway since I know 10 key by touch. Anyway just thinking. ;)

7. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Think I have asked for that since combat first arrived but before the cards came out, and every single release since. I saw the whole random popups as a problem because at least in a standard keymash you know exactly where stuff is, i.e. it aint popping up randomly.

Frankly, let the "hotbar" be moveable at least, so I can position it closer to my character. That totally blows, as I dont want a hotbar across the mid-section of the screen, but its better than trying to find the popup on a bar within a monster size resolution.

I still, regardless of what people keep saying, that I will get used to it, am not used to it, and have to play hunt the popup card, looking away from combat.

And yes, watching combat is the whole point, regardless of if it affects anything (timing) or not.

Why would I want to watch colored icons flash up on the screen rather than the cool creature models beating my skull inside out?

No sense.

Cheers.

Sir_Hemlock and Zassik like this.
  8. Borg

Borg Avatar

Most often I even realize I died when trying to manage my innovative combat Deck system.....
    Its quite funny removing your eyes from the Deck just to realize you are dead.......

I want to look my target when fighting, I think UO combat system created 30 years ago is far better than this.

And what about skill system, just another Level system, no matter what they say.
    I have to disagree with you, those systems are here to stay.

Joviex likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Borg I'm not saying the system is going away or that I want it to go away even, but I do believe there will be a lot of tweaking to it, and of course the look of components could change over time. Great feedback can and will help to make it something fun for everyone is my point. I don't have the answers, but I'm willing to play with it and throw thoughts out. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.