Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Bots Will Rule This Game

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by Teralitha Tokomi, Feb 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

considering the title, in 2017, bots already rule the world; youtube comments section is mostly populated by sock puppet bots (~80% are bots) conversing with each other to skew public opinion on certain issues and to raise the stock price of google by creating fake traffic. bitcoin traffic is already 95% bots shifting coin to generate the illusion of traffic just to raise its value, many people have been stopped but the concept isnt going anywhere. its a never-ending cold war style race and i doubt homo sapiens will win, eventually bots will emerge in the physical world, i cant wait :D unemployement will sky-rocket :(

to stay back on topic though, anything they do, scripts will find a way around, best idea is not to waste resources on a fight you cannot win

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The ESO Dev team might tell you a different story. Forcing people into groups didn't work for them. They rolled it back to the most parts except for dungeons of course.

MrBlight, Spoon and Numa like this.
  3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Think its same point just worded differently.
    The value of the gold is less. But i also feel the value of items would go down, since a lot of things have a base cost in SoTA.

I have 500g.
    My bow costs 500g in fuels to craft atm. The bow sells for 1000g. Thats 50% of the bow. Thats a noticeable amount, that helps regulate the supply of how many bows i will make. (I make 1)

I have 5000g.
    The bow costs 500g in fuels to craft. The bow sells for 10000. Thats 5%. The fuel cost is ignorable. This alters how many bows i will make. (I make 10)

With decreased value of gold, when fuels and in game items dont inflate as well as the player average goes up, comes a higher supply of items aswell. Essentially making them worth less **

Its a silly thing.
    I think with proper vigilence they can control it and offset the risk vs reward.

4. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

You are the only one I have seen in this forum that has less likes than postings. No wonder as you appear crying and stating about things which relations you havent got yet. Better calm down, play the game and learn how things work.

Alley Oop, Cassyr Dubois and Spoon like this.
  5. uhop

uhop Avatar

There is clearly some misunderstanding. Forget about Offline and SPO/FPO for a moment. Let's talk about pure and simple MPO. If you look closely, you will see that quite a few areas are instanced to solo/party (look closely just under the name of an area on your screen, and you will see an announcement of that). For example, all (?) mines are instanced per player/party. Meaning that if you and I are going in the same mine solo, we will never meet, nor compete for resources, because both of us will have our very own instance of the mine. If you want, you can camp in your instance 24/7, then proceed selling whatever you mined. I will still have ore to mine in my instance. All you will succeed is to drive ore prices down from cheap to very cheap.

Yes, bots can be a problem, but not at the magnitude you imagine it to be.

6. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

If the game has no bots and goldsellers it is a dead game.

EDDYCORP, Spoon and E n v y like this.
  7. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

If the banning are done often, buying a new account over and over will deter the botters. Having more of a resource in game decreases the price of that resource, abundance decreases prices, rarity increases prices. There is only one way to know for sure if this is going to be a problem, and that is to wait and see. You are not a prophet, you cannot predict the future.

8. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

ESO is a different animal, and people didnt quit because of grouping. Seems you are just trying to make excuses or grasping for straws here.

9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh but they did because of grouping.
    And also of a massiv black hole after reaching max level of course.
    Non the less they fixed both and it got better.
    People do usually do not want to get forced. Dosen't matter what it is about.
    That counts for grouping as well.

Lord Baldrith, MrBlight and Spoon like this.
  10. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

Well your feelings dont dictate what really happens in an economy.

11. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

Tough love is never popular.

12. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

I have not yet entered a zone that was instanced for me alone. But instanced zones is just another thing that makes botting easier.

13. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

No one really forces you to group. I made it to max level in EQ by soloing, but grouping was more fun sometimes and necessary if you wanted to get your epic weapons. But it wasnt a requirement to play the game. Some classes needed a group though, and if you liked grouping you would pick those classes. My suggestion is only to make static spawns needs a group, for their level. A high level player would still be able to solo a lower level group spawn, but it wouldnt be easy by design. Again, you people are grasping at straws here.

I think its very easy to solo in this game no matter how you build your character. A lack of challenge in the game makes it more boring. And people quit games because of boredom too.

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

But it is. Let me quote Starr Long from the recent Polygon interview: "In our case we have been very clear that the game would be a combination of an MMO and a single player game and that is exactly what it is today."
    Let me quote the official website: "Single Player Offline Mode: Players will adventure through over 40 hours of story in an interactive world where their choices during ethical paradoxes have consequences."
    Let me quote from the Kickstarter Website: "Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content. Shroud of the Avatar can be played as an offline DRM free solo experience or online, where our servers will enable player to player transactions, group finding, patching, streaming of dynamic content, and exploit prevention."
    Let me quote Richard Garriott from two videos: "A storydriven basically soloplayer experience akin to Ultimas 4, 5, 6 or 7." "A storydriven soloplayer experience that harkens back to Ultimas 4, 5, 6 and 7 but that also has the ability to play online".

15. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

So your saying, that all the content in the game is solo? If thats true then whats the point of guilds? I mean sure its for socializing, but from a standpoint of gameplay they are totally useless, yet they have spent alot of time and resources on guilds and guildhalls/housing which are useless in a solo game.

I see that as a contradiction in development. 'we want the game to be a social enviroment but there wont be any content to support that...'(paraphrasing) So... the game is just a glorified chatroom then? I just paid $40 for a colorful chatroom...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  16. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

SotA wants to be both, a single player RPG and an online game, and I agree that this is a challenge for the devs. I don't even know if it will work. Surely not without a lot of trade-offs on both sides. We already have those - no choices with visible and lasting consequences for the story for example, which is basically a no-go for a modern single player RPG.
    Not all content in the game has to be solo. But there has to be solo-content, too. And this solo-content should play and feel like in a single player game. Otherwise what is the point of SotA being advertised as a single player game, too?
    Of course there also needs to be group content and PvP content. But as you can see, the game wants to please a lot of different groups with a lot of different playstyles so the question will be how "perfect" will each of the modes be in the end and how many trade-offs will every group have to accept?

17. Teralitha Tokomi

Teralitha Tokomi Avatar

Well as you said, it might not work. It has been attempted before, with disasterous results. Though I do hope it succeeds.... naturally.

Lord_Darkmoon likes this.
  18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Going to close this topic down as it's gone off the rails. As I mentioned and will PM individuals, please do not spam thread with constant separate replies, and keep on topic. If you are wanting to discuss something that is not of the OP topic, then post a new thread. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.