Bow Testing - Xen ,Envy , Crossbow of Accuracy ,Crafted Bows and Crossbows

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elrond, Feb 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I run 100% of the time with my best gear and buffs.
    Gear wore down? Major repair!
    Out of consumables? Craft and buy!

The thing is: I personally craft my gear and as soon as I'm able to craft anything better, I'll sell the old ones.

Expect to see my 5MW+3E crossbow socketed with 2 Deadly Bandit gems listed on my vendor in Crafter's Town soon, as I'm in the middle of a fight with RNG to get a perfect 5MW+4E crossbow.

StarLord and Time Lord like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Yes, bows wear down really fast! I have Weapon Preservation at 120 (+30%) and I use potions of preservation (+37.5%) just to make it sane.

Time Lord and FBohler like this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I need to watch your vender so I can better outfit for a trip to play with the Ice Giant
    Indeed! I have the chr' Auto Swing's Weapon Presurvation up to 140 and I still... But this is the price for such simple oddity skill builds aye :D
    :eek: Wow! :confused: Curious question time... "About how much Exp was that recovered?" :cool:

I've watched your chr @Violet Ronso for so long now in it's many instructional videos that it's sort of legendary, like that of @Sara Dreygon o_O

I myself have 5 accounts, 4 of which I'm preparing for demo use at internet cafe' parties, once our provence's internet cafe's are allowed to re-open. Thus I'm now working on what will eventually become an archer/water mage, with one of my wife's unused chrs named "Pure Water", yet without the archery rapid fire or super level Flurry the chr "Auto Swing" has... thus only precise archery attacks will be used on "Pure Water".

OT: (The plan is to be able to field a total of 8+ chrs, 4 chr prebuilt on demo accounts and hopefully 4+ new accounts made by the internet cafe's patrons who join in our internet cafe' party.
    Thus far in it's concept design, the plan is to bill it as "การต่อสู้อาหาร" (translates as "Food Fight") where those not on a demo account compete for one of the 2 for one pizza's I bring along with me, one all shared together just for playing).

"Pure Water" had little to no exp when I began further developing her a few days ago. I was going to use a Greater Unlearning scroll on her until I saw she had only a grand total of 1.9 Mil exp recoverable from a full unlearn of all adventure skills.

Having not the Auto Attack as the desired main archery damage and looking for more precise attacks, I now wonder which precise archery attacks should be most/best reached for, in a crafting minded way, because @Elrond's info here deals strictly with and for auto attack measurements.

~Time Lord~

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  4. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

For some this might be a lot, but I feel like this is "Rookie Numbers"

When I used the Greater Unlearning scroll to unlearn all my skills, it gave me back a little more than 2 billion experience points.

Hahaha thank you, but I do not see myself anywhere near the level of the great Sara! I struggle to stick to one build for too long, and I struggle to do one activity for too long, I need change, often! This results in me learning a lot about everything, but never mastering anything (except Bard, I would have considered myself a master bard at some point). The thing I have going for me is that I love complex systems, and I love figuring out all the little ways systems work together and using that to my advantage. I've had some amazing people teach me stuff since the beginning, notable ones are Mimner who helped me discover the fastest way (for me) to use dynamic decks, or Grumpy who made me realise I built my dynamic slots the wrong way. Vesper and Sara helped me learn so much about physical combat (they are swordsmen, but the things they can teach you can be applied to nearly everything!)

So yeah, thank you, but I feel like I do not deserve at all the level of praise you give me, Violet Ronso is the result of tips and tricks from these amazing players as well as tons, and I mean TONS of theorycrafting/studying the game and its systems.

FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Boy, @Elrond - that was some WOT there 2 yrs ago . :)
    Do you still play ?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't think he does. I believe he sold his PoT and all his stuff.

FrostII, Time Lord and Anpu like this.
  7. Yigg Endimion

Yigg Endimion Avatar

IMHO, do not use deadly bandit gems in a bow or xbow, 15% more DMG to a bow is meh. Since they have a low base DMG to begin with. I could be wrong, but if you used a deadly bandit gem in a hard leather chest, that's 17.5% and then use ranged combat gems in bow/xbow, that might get you better results.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

I think 20 levels in base ranged combat skill is lower than +15%.
    I don't have the exact numbers with me, but it would add something in the 12-13% range for auto attack and +10 levels to every ranged active skill, which will vary in % final damage depending on your current skill level (the higher the level, the lower % increase you'll get). One way to figure it is looking in the tooltip the 20 level gap difference and calculating the mean. If your skill level is higher than 100, I believe you'll end up gaining less than 10% bonus in skills (again, I don't have the exact numbers but I think this is pretty close to assume).

So bandit gem = 15% bonus for all attacks and skills.
    Ranged combat gem = 12-13% for auto attack/free attack and 10-ish% (at best) for skills.

We all know SotA math is sometimes more complicated than that, but my experience and testing shows the Deadly Bandit Gem is the go-to for highest DPS output.

If you're short on money, the Ranged Combat will do almost as fine especially if you're not top level player (skill levels 150+).

On top of that, there's no skill to increase base weapon damage, so no matter how far you level up, you'll never compensate the choice to not use +15% on bow or xbow and +7.5% on chest.

Now for the Ranged Combat one, you have a skill you can level so you get that bonus, so it's obtainable from other source and thus not the bottleneck for any given build as long as you're willing to grind XP.

If there was a way to "unsocket" gems, I would do the testing with the exact same bow/xbow and give actual results. But I'm not willing to:
    1) waste 2 Bandit Gems in a xbow that's not perfect, or;
    2) waste a perfect xbow with Ranged Combat gems just for test's sake.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I thought it had been determined that the base Ranged skill only affected auto attack, and had no effect on other skills. I think @Barugon had done some testing and saw that other skills did the same damage whether ranged was at 40 or 140.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

I'll admit I haven't tested it myself, but I thought that had been fixed a few releases back? @Coswald_Dirthmire Do you remember testing this lately?

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I believe that this was changed not too long ago to be the average of the skill and the base ranged combat innate.

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ah, okay. I missed that it had been addressed. And I suppose that fix explains why I never noticed much of a change in damage, as my Ranged and other skills aren't that far apart. Though, that seems like a weird fix.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Coswald_Dirthmire

Coswald_Dirthmire Bug Hunter

Yupyup, the fix was tested a bit after it went in, but seems nobody updated the bug thread (erm, sorry about that): https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...crease-polearm-skills-damage-tooltips.168514/

So base damage skills are increasing glyph attack, though it seems the +10 combat foods and gems aren't. That might just be a tooltip bug, and as of my last testing they do at least improve auto/charge attack damage. I'll try to look into it more if I get a chance. And for anyone that wants to follow the whole saga, here's some more links:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/today-on-qa-r89.168378/ (Starts on page 3)
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...combat-skill-modifiers-have-no-effect.168571/

14. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

A question about range: Last hour I tried to shoot a squirrel with a Longbow and got 0 damage with Auto-Attack for several shots. After a while I moved closer and the squirrel finally died. Usually all times before 1 or 2 arrows was sufficient to kill a squirrel or rabbit.

When looking in the combat log it wrote for each miss that
    I was attacking the squirrel "out of reach, dealing no damage"...

So - how can I shoot an arrow at something that is out of reach? Why would the auto-attack start shooting while still out of reach? How could I see the reach of the bow or crossbow equipped?

FBohler likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The game has to verify that your target can actually reach you via pathfinding. If it can't then you do zero damage.

16. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Avatar

I just walked up to the Squirrel. There were no obstacles whatsoever between me and it. That´s how I noticed that the constant 0 above it, suddenly changed to actual numbers after a few steps.

FBohler likes this.
  17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anpu likes this.
  18. FBohler

FBohler Avatar

Probably a bug. Never happened to me though.
    If it happens again, I would suggest you to fill up a bug report.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.