Can I build a better PvP(mouse) trap?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Ristra, Mar 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Personally, I prefer to dial up the PvP just a bit. If I engage in PvP, I lose. No doubt about it. Nevertheless, I do like some feeling of risk. Worrying that maybe someone will jump up and attack me is exhilarating. Being almost certain of it is frustrating.

BTW, I'd love to tackle how a virtue system works into a PvP system.

2. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

I don't have much to add since, as long as I'm able to completely avoid PvP, I'm happy. But I do think pointing to how a couple other games handle, or plan to handle, PvP availability might be constructive.

EVE online has a system tied to criminal acts, which includes stealing from or attacking a law abiding player in safe space, or needlessly killing a player anywhere (where the player was already defeated and looted but the attacker decides to go ahead and kill him); those players are labeled as criminals (and attacked on sight by the militia/guards) for a small time, but the victim can, if he so chooses, label the attacker as a "suspect" for up to a month (the victim alone can revoke that penalty early). Suspects are not considered law abiding players for this system, and police / guards won't defend them, so they can be stolen from and attacked with impunity.

Elite: Dangerous plans to have a system for choosing who one plays with online similar to the SPO/FPO/OPO system SotA plans to use; their answer to PKing is that anyone that does that is stuck into their equivalent to OPO for a time, allowing players to exact revenge on their attackers.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I totally agree. If a guy is a serial killer he should be stuck in OPO mode and labled a killer (red or something).

In UO a killer turned red after 5 kills or so within a specific period of time. The time a person is (in UO terms) "grey or red" they should be in OPO mode till the preset timer for that crime (or crimes) has been met.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

if you are in FPO and commit a crime it should flag you as well.

5. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

@Isaiah:

Yeah, crimes should have consequences even in FPO, but a way for the victim to pardon the "criminal" could be an interesting idea :)

It would serve, for example, to avoid punishing players when one accidentally attack the other and the victim agrees it was an accident, or even to allow for players to negotiate what would be appropriate compensation to "drop the criminal charges".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.