Can we have a Project Update that is not trying to sell me something."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oren, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leom_Tanith

Leom_Tanith Avatar

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one Vyrinor.

"No, a critique is a critique. What kind of a critique? It's a critique. A critique is a critique, and when you have a good critique, it's because it has quality."

Vyrinor likes this.
  2. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Point is - no matter the critique - accusing people of taking things personally is a pretty weak way to discredit someone's opinion. Let's just not try to assume people's motives unless they tell us what they are? Forensic investigators have a hard time figuring out motive - it's not as easy as people make it out to be.

3. ArcanumVeritas

ArcanumVeritas Avatar

I guess its back to forum ettique ... people making "I" statements ... "I believe ...", "I feel that ..."

There should be no need to discredit others opinions, if you're content to just state your opinion and let the discussion follow its course.

I believe, that Portalarium is a business first, if it stops making enough money it will not be able to tell great stories ... So if it tries to counteract that by having things for sale gradually, rather than big bang, it can do it in more of a low key approach which will have less negative repercussions/able to deal with in game.

And you're entitled to your own opinion

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I cant belive RG bald faced lied. He specifically said he wouldn't be nickle and dimming people, that the game would be buy to own and then he goes and does the exact oposite

BillRoy likes this.
  5. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Im not quite sure I'd go there (yet if ever hopefully).

I would say that the way they are marketing the game to entice new people who are either on the fence, or completely unknowledgable about the mechanics and ideals wanting to be put into the game, is not the best approach so far.

While we know there are no pay to win things (promised many times), the marketing materials have confused a number of new, would be clients.

I also agree, that regardless of what someone asks (only HOW they ask), we, as the community, should not be jumping all over them.

Be it their first or 1000'th post. You would not be helping shape the positive image we would hope this community turns into.

TemplarAssassin, rild and BillRoy like this.
  6. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Actually of all the items for sale the Fishing pole shows the most "pay to win" of them all. All the founder items are stated as being starter items but not this

Pay to win, change it to a weapon and there would be zero subtilty. Ie bald faced lie by RG and probably also deceptive and misleading conduct in advertising as well which is illegal

TemplarAssassin, oren and BillRoy like this.
  7. Kazin

Kazin Avatar

I'm not going to get upset over being lied to, it happens, but I will agree that microtransactions are an ugly business model. And I would really like to see more focus on other aspects of the game, I'm not personally interested in purchasable junk.

8. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

I agree with OP and frankly am astouded by all the sales pitching that has been going on lately. If you have any doubts, just take a look at the add-on store, or the updates, or the progress video which are all trying to sell us something.

If one thing is for certain, it's that the community are not fools and are surely noticing things. If such activity continues it will surely lead to an outcry.

One by one, more and more of us are beginning to change our minds about this game and regret ever backing it.

Willard, oren and BillRoy like this.
  9. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

Hello devs & others.

I think it's imperative you see some of the talk of late about SotA in your own forums and also here & here.

I and many others are deeply troubled that it is turning into exactly the type of game we hoped it would never would become. That is, a game that is less focused on gameplay and more on business model and rewarding players who contribute the most. Not only this, such dramatic monetization is happening well before the game has even been released!

Please tell me it ain't so. It really pains me as a backer to see SotA heading in this direction. I feel like the community is gradually drifting away...

Thanks.
    - A deeply concerned adventurer.

TemplarAssassin, oren and BillRoy like this.
  10. GimmeUOPlz

GimmeUOPlz Avatar

I am deeply concerned that this business seems concerned with bringing in income to continue its own existance along with the game. I hate when businesses do silly things like concern themselves with money. Jerks.

All kidding aside, they have to do this guys. Everyone forgets that they're doing this without publisher support, and that even 2.6 million is probably just a part of what they will use to make this game and grow their company.

11. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

I am deeply concerned about people's forum doubles posting this kind of junk.

12. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

When the Store items become necessary to complete the game and not just some nice extras, let me know. Until then, I'm not going to get all upset over voluntary purchase options.

13. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

Maybe next time try reponding to the actual concern that's been brought up... It's more effective in case you didn't know

Norse and Joviex like this.
  14. CaptainJackSparrow

Totally agree with you and OP. We should cut all crowdsourcing for the crowdsourcing game. We should get instanced housing which nobody but us can see, inpliment my new combat system, and due to the changes enjoy playing OPO by ourselves.

Seir and Gunga Din Wins Again™ like this.
  15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I think the demo was ill timed (some parts), but overall, there is nothing there to cement anything about the economics of the game.

Especially a game that doesn't even see the light of day for another year

Looks like you are new. I hope that is sarcasm because I feel this is not the voice/tone we would want to convey throughout the community for new players trying to decide between the mixed marketing message being presented curently.

16. CaptainJackSparrow

Why, your post is worse than a repost. Everyone who is unhappy about this have already either created other threads or initiated hostile takeovers of the other threads with this nonsense. Why would anyone here be happy to see yet another QQ post by a fourm double pop up?

17. Jatvardur

Jatvardur Avatar

I'd stake a fat chunk of in-game cash (tm) that it was. ;-)

18. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

You've proven my point yet again. Call me when you get it.

19. CaptainJackSparrow

calls you
    whatever!
    hangs up

/PK

Kal Morte and Wsye like this.
  20. Donferth

Donferth Avatar

Perhaps this can add some focus to what is going on with the updates. It has been posted before, Alpha should begin in December.. Now when the game opens for Alpha, those who own properties can place them, but the only thing that is priority is that the game is functional. It is not meant to be fully ready to play and be relased. Not in the least bit. There is still nearly a year for that. It is only meant to be functional and therefore testable as all Alpha is meant to be. So before we say "zomg h4x this game sux! lolololol!!!11!1" remember, it will look shoddy until the final product. These are only updates to show what is done in such a short amount of time they have had already and to show that the game can actually operate so when it is Alpha time we can actually get to testing, finding bugs, make more input for improvement and over all break it if we can.

So please, have patience before panicking.

Also just a food for thought.. So we seen how much has been done in 6 months of prduction. The game is looking at a total of 1½ years of creation... How long is the average game in production? If I am correct, the average mmo is in production for 2-5 years, and in some cases, such as star craft 2, 10 years despite being a genre and not needing as much space and immersion.. So for the add-ons, that may be feeding quite a bit of over time work their doing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.