Can we have a Project Update that is not trying to sell me something."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oren, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

The game has the word "Virtue" in the name so you'd think that would mean something around here.
    Don't let it drive you away, we need more people around here that aren't lickspittles and apologists.
    Just be honest and call it like you see it and those who rage against you will show themselves for what they are.

Sorry that you didn't recieve a better welcome, friend.

*btw, welcome new friend...enjoy the show.;)
    **Also, I don't think the remark you were refering to was as meant to sound as harsh as it may have seemed.
    ***I still stand by the rest of what I said though.:rolleyes:

oren likes this.
  2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Portalarium has way more than $2.x million to spend on this game. They did a funding round a year ago that raised about $7 million.

"The money is being pushed into the final stages of development on the company's first title, Ultimate Collector, which is slated for release later this summer on Facebook, mobile, and browser-based platforms. Some of the funds are also earmarked for development on the company's second game, alternately known as both Ultimate RPG and New Britannia, which does not yet have a release window."
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/10/richard-garriotts-portalarium-raises-7-million-in-funding/

There is also RG's personal investment in the company, to go with the two investors. There is also a chance he has some money from other contacts. So they don't have a publisher, but they do have other people who have put their money into this project.

So as far as 'nickel and diming' goes, this game doesn't have a subscription. Most MMOs charge you $60 and a $10-$15 monthly fee, or charge you nothing to download and then microtransaction to make money. The SotA strategy seems like it's in the middle, with a one-shot per episode fee, which would come down to about $5 a month. It's not going to be pay-to-win, but there will be some pay-for-fun type things, like houses and a fishing rod that doesn't wear out and probably looks unique. I don't know about you, but I don't foresee fishing rods in the game being terribly expensive, so perhaps over a long period of time you'd make your $10 investment back. Perhaps you'll enjoy the game so much you'll spend a few more bucks here and there. In the end, a lot of the complaining is because psycologically, some people don't like the idea of reaching into their wallet numerous times. Those people feel they are better off doing it all at once, even if over the long run they'd be spending more money.

Will we see other items like this? I don't know. Probably. Ever since the Viking house, we've been getting monthly offers. They said they wanted to see how different strategies work. If you don't like the special item with a game use, then don't buy it. Perhaps they'll decide it's not worth the time and go a different route.

In the end, servers cost money. Charging players a one-time fee (per episode) isn't going to keep them running by itself forever. By spending a little here and there, you help them keep the game going, creating new content and hopefully bringing in new players.

Kuno Brauer, Wodin, Freeman and 4 others like this.
  3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

*Shakes head in exasperation*
    You and all your forum-alts are second to none when it comes to trolling these forums!
    /applaud

4. rild

rild Avatar

We spend so much time here we're cycling together :oops:

Key to this conversation is whether or not these items will be sold post-launch. Cosmetic items should not be a detriment to game play. As benefits for early backers, it's a reward for your involvement, and even a powerful item would not be a major detriment to future players.

And really? Fishing is about the most benign skill to buff. Still, I'm gonna try and find a way to win at PVP dual-wielding an uber-trout and my +3 herring of tree-chopping.

Kuno Brauer and Mordecai like this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

yes I agree. Depression setting in... Poor unfortuante souls: Little Mermaid

[​IMG]

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

Not the way I do it...
    I've faught and killed too many creatures to count with a fishing pole, weilded like a cross between a light saber and a buggie whip, I've carved a bloody path across Azeroth...and beyond.
    I've healed in many-a dungeon,as a Disc Priest with a fishing pole in hand...and nobody dies on my watch...unless it's to teach them a lesson...;)
    All toons at max level fishing, with a collection of special rods, pets and every one with a "Battered Fishing Hat"...I never got that damn riding turtle though...:mad:

*I do hope that you can get the fishing rod as your "indestructable tool" backer reward, that's the one I really want though I haven't seen it writen anywhere (fingers crossed:rolleyes:), if not I'll pay $10.00...and it better be indestructable!:mad:

rild likes this.
  7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I find it sad that people are SO concerned about PvP that it is all anything is measured by. Its ok, its not "nickle and diming" which RG SPECIFICALLY stated the game wouldn't be, its not a lie because its not PvP so its ok

8. Owain

Owain Avatar

Why should that be sad? That is an area of interest for may SotA supporters. Just because it is not among your interests does not make the interest invalid. The devs need that input in order to craft the game so as to satisfy demand from all segments of their target audience, not just you.

Isaiah and TemplarAssassin like this.
  9. High Baron Asguard

Just because something doesnt effect PvP doesnt make it ok, its still false advertising, its still a lie and its still illegal

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't follow your reasoning. How is it either false advertising, a lie, or illegal?

11. High Baron Asguard

RG stated in a video "this game will not be nickle and dimming people. We will ONLY be charging people extra for things which take a lot of extra development time. For example if we introduced a new skill tree"

That was his statement made during kickstarter to get people to buy the game. Statements and promises made are legally binding under kickstarters rules AND you can't say something in marketing which is blatantly false

Ie false advertising and illegal

12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I think the reason why so many people are concerned with PvP is because quite a number of PvPers came to support this game from UO.

UO has probably the best concept around PvP of any game around, that is why lots of PvPers still play the official shards and why many free shards were created.

It was kind of expected (due to who the development team are) that a similar combat system would be created. There is also nothing out in the market with regards to modern mmos that even comes close to the combat system in UO.

UO people are looking for a new game......the hope is that SotA will be it.

TemplarAssassin, Mordecai and rild like this.
  13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Well, if you think of it this way, the whole fishing system will take extra development time. It's kind of like a skill tree.

As far as legality goes, you are plenty free to sue Portalarium. In fact, anyone is free to sue anyone else, if they can afford the filing fees. If you can convince a judge that there is grounds for the suit, then there you go, you get to go to trial. The problem is that the definition of nickel and diming, microtransactions and pay to win are up for interpretation. Looking for definitions on the internet will result in an array of answers. Good luck with that. KickStarter seems understand that the legal option isn't really all that powerful because they put more emphasis on what 'failure' would be to reputation.

Kuno Brauer likes this.
  14. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

You keep using those words... I do not think it means what you think it means....

The nickel and diming Richard was referring to is how some games get you into playing but then you are practically forced to pay a little here, pay a little there, just to gain access to major features of the game, to stay competitive, to get the full experience, and so on. A SotA related example would be if they started you off with 2 armor choices, and you had to pay $ to unlock all the dozens more powerful ones they made but aren't giving you. And then do that with every feature of the game. That would be nickel and diming.

No one is even playing the game yet. No one is being restricted from the content of the game that was promised. The items in the add on store are in no way "nickel and diming" or what RG was referring to.

Kuno Brauer, Isaiah, Devoid and 6 others like this.
  15. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

The legal defence against claims of false advertising is "if you were stupid enough to believe our marketing campaign, that is your fault and we are not responsible" Apple and Coke use this constantly.

In any case, paying for optional extras is fine, the game is completly unlocked and you wont be forced to pay anything to get content inside the game to complete. None of that, buy a key to unlock these sweet chests sort of thing.

Methinks you need to keep calm.

16. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

I have to resonate the comments of CJS and Dame Lori. None of the add-on store extras are required to play the game. If during the KS campaign you pledged $25 or more, you purchased the game (DRM free I might add). You can take that game and play it to completion without ever purchasing another product. Portalarium is offering additional products that may or may not enhance your gaming experience, but are not needed to complete the storyline. Some people want to give more money for development, others want the items for vanity reasons, others want the items because they will enhance their gaming experience, but no one is required to purchase more.

rild, nightshadow and Dame Lori like this.
  17. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

I must say that is a completely inaccurate representation of the current state of the game.

1. Housing is a MAJOR feature of the game. Proof?
    Richard Garriott in the 6-month progress video, and I QUOTE- "Property player ownership we think is one of the MAJOR features, MAJOR attractions of Shroud of the Avatar."
    (indisputable with direct evidence provided by creator himself)

2. Housing costs a heck of a lot more than "a little here, a little there" (at least $150 in fact to guarantee property)
    (source is add-on store)

Now put 1 & 2 together and see what you get. Downplaying the issue doesn't change the facts.

BillRoy likes this.
  18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Having something be a big draw and be considered a major feature still doesn't make it required to win the single-player storyline part of the game. If you want to set owning a house as one of your own winning goals, that's fine. It may or may not be a challenge to earn that money and find 'the perfect lot.'

Koldar likes this.
  19. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Asguard's comments were referencing a nickel-and-dime statement made by Richard during Kickstarter - and what I wrote above is the context of his statements - and unless I am mistaken, were also in regards to the new fishing pole in particular. But if you want to talk about housing - Anyone can own a house if they so desire. Deeds will be available from NPCs, there will be undoubtedly be a thriving resale market, houses will be decaying, and anyone can also play with houses in SP offline.

Obviously housing is a major attraction. That is why it was used as the main reward for higher level backers. Having a house, or more specifically, "house style 3B", is in no way a requirement for the game as a whole, though again, anyone can acquire one in-game. The houses in the add-on store would not exist if they were not to be for sale in the add-on store. There will be plenty of similar houses for sale for in-game currency when the game is live.

It was also 100% CLEAR FROM DAY 1 that housing was limited. This was stated plainly right on the Kickstarter page from the first day it was open. You can disagree with that core idea if you wish, but it does not belong in a discussion about whether or not the game is turning into what was promised.

20. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

Just to clarify my statement here - I think it is fair to say that these are extras being made because they will bring in funding, and not that they are withholding core game content and trying to get us to pay for what would have been made regardless.

Kuno Brauer, Koldar, MagiK and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.