Can we have crafting stations access to materials in a chest placed next to it?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by SabeSr, Jun 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

It would really help with carrying large amounts of materials for crafting.

Place a chest next to station and select "access nearby storage" on the crafting station.

Then we could stock chest with staple crafting supplies, stock chest with crafting materials over time then when we are ready to spend a few hours crafting we could without having to keep dragging mats from chest to our personal inventory just to use at crafting station.

Anyone who does serious crafting (and since the game wants to have crafted items key to whats available in game) trying to do large quantities of crafting is extremely tedious, even to the point of being difficult.

As for agriculture I've had to make several trips to and from town to carry water buckets in order to plant things. I stocked over 300 buckets at my house for doing it. It would be great if I could stock all the water in a chest (preferably a large water tower would be cool to catch rain water) and then when I'm planting I have to get 50 buckets and barely carry them from spot to spot to plant with. If I could just leave water in a chest next to planting area and allow planting bed to access the chest to pull water from each time I plant a seed that would make my life much happier.

In order to do large bulk smelting and milling we have to carry very heavy amounts from chests to crafting stations.

I have set up chests next to my stations and I stock them until I decide I have enough to spend time crafting... would be nice to not have to pull mats back out of those chests.

Or even make stations also be chests themselves and be able to stock them full of materials.

moko, Cally, Sara Dreygon and 7 others like this.
  2. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Oooooh... this I like! They could even be specialized containers for things like wax, coal, creosote, etc... and I'd be happy. Very nice suggestion!

I do something similar - I stock a few containers with mats and one main container with everything for all stations - and that main container, when I try to move all of its contents at once, sometimes my link breaks... crafting specific organizers would be awesome.

A little trick I stumbled upon, for containers that are heavy, place them on a small paver... then move the paver freely without any penalty for encumbrance.

3. icekiss

icekiss Avatar

Good suggestion for the crafting stations.
    Unfortunately, it would not help the masses, i.e. everybody that does not have his own expert crafting station. After all, you wouldn't be able to put a chest next to a crafting station you do not own... ;)

Well, one could have it on the normal crafting stations in one's house, but there are a lot of tasks that benefit from those 5 levels...

But it would make normal crafting stations in the house more attractive, since it becomes a tradeoff. Alright, thats got my sign of approval. :D

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

you can do this and be heavy when crafting no need just drag everything into your inventory, be nice to be able to out stuff in a bag in a chest thow so it could be easily grabbed.

And this I am sure would be hacked so when you open a table the container there open too and then poof all your items are gone since somone took them :-(

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Yes please.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/crafting-chests-suggestion.17892/
    An old discussion.
    Having containers that looked appropriate to each station, where one could mark it and pair it with the station.
    Or re-using the station as the container where one would need to have Permission to access the container part of the station.
    But also my own take that I'd like an inbox and an outbox pairing to be possible.

6. Nick

Nick Avatar

I suppose we can't convert pets into moving containers for public tables.:p Like the chest mimic.
    Yes I agree it'll be really useful for crafters.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

At the risk of creating controversy I will say I am not in favor of linking chests/containers to crafting stations so that materials are pulled from the chest or container automatically...if that is what is being suggested/requested?

Crafting stations, in my opinion, in this game should not be "automated" so that one just has to mash buttons to mass produce items. Next will be "macros" and/or scripts where one just spams one button endlessly while watching TV, etc. -- in my opinion I would not like to see this game start down that trail.

Time Lord and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

For this reason I am strongly opposed to this suggestion which offers convenience to some people only. The same goes for using the crafting station as a container to store stuff in.

9. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I see the convenience of having resource specific storage linked to crafting stations - but I don't think it's any different from any other benefit attributed to property ownership. From the perspective of immersion - to me, this makes more sense than just having trunks and cabinets with infinite storage capacity everywhere.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

With that analogy I shouldn't be able to purchase an expert crafting station only available for my use... its not fair that others won't be able to use it even though they haven't spent the gold/cash to have it.

I wouldn't be able to have a bigger house then other people. Or better sword/armor because that wouldn't be fair to others who can't afford it... even though I play more and gain more gold and want somewhere to spend it... I should just be stuck hording my gold with nothing better to buy to give me an advantage over others.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Hrm I'm not trying to be a smart ass here, But:
    Do any of you actually craft?

Because you can allready do this with no problem.
    Simply place a storage chest of any kind next to your crafting station.
    You can access your chest, the open your back pack, then click into your crafting station, ( I actually access 2-3 different chest) I like to keep things separated for convenience (and my OCD.)
    you can now craft all day, if you run out of resources or need more ingot molds in your pack simply drag them over from your chest or chests.

So what is the big issue?

12. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

All the dragging around...

Do you really craft much or just play with it a little? I probably don't do anywhere near what some do but I've been trying to do it and gather all materials which alone is time consuming. I'd like to economize the system a little with simple solutions for the dev's.

The game is HIGHLY focusing on crafting and a very high rate of deterioration factor for items of quality and enchantment... which means being able to craft efficiently is far more important then other games previous to this one. With that in mind... whats wrong with a simple solution to a potential future problem some of us see coming down the road before game is released... (First impressions last... don't release a game too difficult and scare people away from it with tediousness... I get enough of that in real life I want to come home and enjoy my game time not WORK more)

and yes, I have chests next to my crafting stations and open them to be able to drag them to my inventory

13. Nick

Nick Avatar

I speak as a first time MMO player with no crafting experience. While I do enjoy a bit of crafting, I find it annoying at times when I have to exit crafting tables to refill the raw materials, fuels that I have used up, or when I forget certain moulds. Sometimes I wonder why can't I access containers next to me without leaving the crafting UI.

Its not a big issue really, but it does make my gameplay (casual player) more enjoyable. However, I do agree with Kara Brae, it only benefits certain players. Perhaps such a convenience should only be attempted when pack animals come into play in later episodes, where public tables can be linked in similar fashion and everyone benefits?

Some of you have had bad experiences in other games, could anyone care to explain why it would be bad for this game? I think a good discussion is important to improving the game.

14. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My objection has nothing to do with purchasing convenience. The original post talked about "crafting stations" in general, and most crafting won't be done by a single person on their own lot, so you would be adding a functionality to a common object used by everybody to add convenience for only a few people.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Have to agree with Nolove. Although currently focusing on gathering I've GM'd blacksmithing in 2 releases and in my opinion the suggestion in the OP is nonsense. This is not supposed to be "easy".

| Grave |, Celthon, Retlaw and 2 others like this.
  16. Demetria

Demetria Avatar

In ARK, you can keep resources in crafting stations. It makes it easier for things like repairs, since you have the raw materials on hand.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  17. Nolove 0369

Nolove 0369 Avatar

Don't get me wrong I think its a good Idea, and definitely adds a little more convenience to crafting. Ans I hope to see it added some day. But at this point id rather see them work on the stuff that's actually broke, like the B/S Repair system that's a disgrace.

Time Lord and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  18. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I'm curious how many people have ever played EVE if any and have an understanding about extensive crafting systems and one that requires extensive participation by players in order to have the best a game has to offer. Unlike WOW for example where you could gain the best weapons and armor by killing a Raid Boss (which this game has suggested will not be the case, crafting will be the source of those items). Wow could create ok epics but never the best, you had to Raid if you wanted the top gear.

Eve had, in order to obtain the best items such as Titans, mother-ships, dreads, carriers... a player had to build them in order for them to be in game, not only that they had to craft all the parts, and all those parts required sub-parts, and sub-parts required an even lower level of sub-parts and even those required materials which also required refined materials and those required raw materials which had to be mined from moons. Over 5 years most of which I spent building ships and components... I can fly a Titan in Eve, the last time I played unless they changed spec's. You couldn't "loot" a Titan in Eve, you had to build it.

I understand in great detail what an extensive crafting system requires from the players point of view... I used to build capital ships in Eve, and I built everything from those down to the very moon mining and asteroid mining involved and producing the required materials. I still own a Jump Freighter, Freighter, Two Carriers, Dreadnought... as well as several of every class below capital ships in Eve, I still own many of the Blueprints required for building them all and all the POS systems for mining moons in Eve.

I really do want you to hear me out when I say I UNDERSTAND crafting systems EXTENSIVELY. You may not agree with my opinion but before you dis what I'm saying... Please be sure your knowledge of crafting systems within a MMOG, at the very least,... equals mine. I spent several years working 8+ hours a day 7 days a week into crafting in Eve. It was all I did when I came home from working long days in a manufacturing facility building precision sheet metal structures for the computer industry as a manufacturing engineer... it was easy to do in a game, what I did in real life. On a mass scale. I used to craft computer mainframes now I craft houses from the ground up...

Do I know how to build things? Hah! Do you know what a BOM is??? (its the simplest term in crafting)

So... from that point of view, I tell you... if you want a game with the items everyone uses and "burns up" (We didn't burn up, we "blew up" in Eve)... you need a "VERY efficient" system of producing large numbers of higher level items which by the present "loss" system due to enchantment and various other loss factors that are presently in system such as silly (strength stats on the mages dagger I just created, oh lord!)... if you do NOT streamline the crafting system you will in the end be seriously hurting the success of the game itself solely on the reasoning that you don't want it EASY to craft things... You will be WRONG. Trust me from YEARS of experience with an in depth MMOG system requiring player provided "capital" items. You want it EASY to craft the best items... because we will burn them up, daily.

So... take it all as you will, provide your opinion based on what experience you have with old school crafting systems... the design you have, is NOT optimized for what you want. Simple as that. Old school crafting is fine if I can still loot the best Epic weapons and armor from Raid Boss's as well as buy similar items... if crafting is only source... then make them easier to have or only the wealthy (offline) will own them... the rest of us will have the hand-me-down-second-best-worn-out stuff. (Bad for game success)

Streamline it, at every point possible...

The TOP items should be by order and only produce-able certain times of the year... Equinox or Full moons or something along those lines, time based production (put it in oven and come back in a week/month)... but most other epics should be available and produce-able daily and always in stock if not expensive.

In Eve you could start a Titan building out in PVP space ONLY but it took weeks to build it slowly... during that time it needed to be defended by your alliance or enemies could come in and tear down your space station and destroy the titan being built... consider that as an option for top line items, only craftable at houses within PVP zones that are subject to attack and destruction or capture.

I use Eve as an example because its crafting system is unparalleled in the gaming community IMO. It has no shards, only one universe everyone played within. It has battles of 500 vs 500 not counting the 100+ vs 100+ capitals as well all on the same screen and battle (yes laggy at times)... the battles were intense but the need for crafting new ships was also intense, thus the extreme crafting economy.

So, do I understand crafting? Economically? Yes... for those who say "who cares if a few have it easy" you don't understand the need for serious crafting and economies that require it extensively.

Have it your way, but they better just revert to dropping top gear from top bosses in game and forget the "all from crafting idea."

Or, listen to me and put storage into the crafting stations or allow them to access chests adjacent to them for crafting use not just dragging from chest to inventory and crafting...

I DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO BE WASTING WITH THE LITTLE THINGS. I spend enough gathering the materials...

If you think you can have "markets" where I buy from the ore miner/smelter... think again, you don't have a system setup for an auction house... (heck they wont even give us a trade channel or world chat channel) I don't have the time to be spending running around from player vendor to player vendor trying to find one with 1000 ingots then lugging them back to my house from halfway across the world... we don't have mules we dont have portals or runes to port thru... we don't have a real auction system and you want us to mass produce quality items? Hello! the game is supposed to go live in a few months... it ain't going to happen. Stop being nay sayers and let us have some convenience. Take it away if you create a better way but until then... allow crafting stations to hold storage/access chests/inventory or heck even pull from the guy standing next to me at station if he clicked the "allow the guy next to me to use my materials from inventory" box in his options menu because he wants me to create some epic item for him.

and enough with the "Macro Miners" and "Bots will take over the world" mentality... its not an issue yet don't make the player base suffer for a non existent worry. (I have a two page argument for that worry I'll save for another post)

What carpenter wants a nail gun that only holds one nail at a time and has to be reloaded every time you fire it? They want one that holds a rack of nails.

What manufacturer wants a single station punch press that only makes one part at a time? They want one that punches out 10 parts at a time.

What seamstress wants a loom that only makes one yard at a time? They want one that makes 100 yards and they want a spool that lasts days not hours.

What cook wants a fryer that only cooks one french fry at a time? They want to fry several batches at once... or else their restaurant wont be in business long.

Make it easier, make it simpler... or pay the price on release day.

But hey what do I know... I'm just some obnoxious twit. Ignore me...

In My Humble Opinion.

P.S. OoohRah Nolove 0369
    0311 here... I can't stand inefficiency
    1 shot 1 kill... stop wasting my bullets
    Semper Fi

Spoon, Nick and Time Lord like this.
  19. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Keeping it Game! o_O

Indeed, Keeping it game...
    At some point our marketing must reflect on what keeps players interested, 'as well as remaining entertained". Carpel Tunnel is another good reason for keeping it something we want to do without sacrificing our physical faculties.

Maybe not easy, but more fun and more game is enough to reflect on our gaming values, "and then see what we can do better"

~Rant Time Lord Approved~:cool: for reflecting on keeping it "game"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Nick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.