Chances of Unexpired Pledges on August 22nd?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Trina, Aug 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trina

Trina Avatar

Hello,

What are the chances of them re-opening all of the pledges on August 22nd for the 12 hour marathon? That way if you upgrade your pledge, you will get all the items you may have missed that expired on all pledges up to your newest pledge. Also, if you were on the edge of buying the game because of all of the early access hype that had caught your eye, you could now pledge without filling you waited too long to find out about the game?

> . <)

2. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

To paraphrase dumb and dumber..

Even if I said.. 1 in a million, I'm afraid you'd take it to mean that I was saying there was a chance..

3. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

So what your saying is... theres a chance! YAY!

Time Lord, Leelu and Audacity like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Way back when, the announced Founder rewards would expire on a certain date. But there was a website bug where if a Founder gifted you a pledge (even past the cut-off date) then the recipient got Founder rewards. People used this bug to sell their gifting services for a profit. It angered people. Portalarium handled the situation as best they could be announcing a new, second cut-off. The original cut-off now made you a Royal Founder with a different color scheme. You'd have a while to continue to gift Founder accounts, but they cut that off as well.

Then they started to expire second lots, houses from lower tiers, etc.

Adding that stuff back would anger people who backed a week ago and missed out, or people who backed a year ago who feel their rare items were just de-valued.

Even if it would make new backers happy, it means going back on previous statements so it is extremely unlikely. You could however go to the Player Marketplace and see if you can buy a Founder pledge from someone else.

Solazur, Ember, Acred and 4 others like this.
  5. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

This is a good idea, and will create a 12-hour "Mad Rush" sale, and generate a bunch of funds. For those against it: Why not...how does someone else being allowed to purchase a Pledge affect you and/or your game-play. It does not.

Time Lord, Leelu and Fauxpas like this.
  6. enderandrew

I'm not opposed myself, but I could see how others would be.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

people are getting wound up on "omg i paid that amount and now i feel like beeing screwed".... seriously... all you bought is a ticket with early on benefits. back then you felt it was justified. what changed?

you see people ingame catching up? if it werent that way, the game you paid as much for, would tank.

theres been incentives, and most of us didnt choose the 45 usd pledge just to play it. but added some, hoping it would pay off. complaining at this point, has a massive mimimi factor to it imo.

[edit] ever bought a game you didnt like? back then its been bad luck. now people try to brute force their way through, asking for a refund if it doesnt turn out to be exactly what the expected.

get a grip?
    [/edit]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    Leelu likes this.
  8. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

Saying that letting someone else have something that was expired slights anyone in some way, or makes the value of what they already have less in some way is a perception that exists only in their mind. The reality is that this is a freakin VIDEO GAME -- a glorified toy.

Any money anyone "gave" to Portalarium was to help fund the development of said TOY. The pixel crack they're having a coronary over means nothing...it's all pretend. Stop trying to be a wannabe day-trader trying to sell expired pledge rewards and go play with your toy.

Edit: As someone involved in sales for over two decades I can tell you that having the "last minute" sale during the telethon of previously expired pledges is a good move on any merchandiser's part--it creates that "Black Friday" mentality in the consumers who need to "beat the clock", and spurs sales/spending...it will only last 12-hours, I think all the "chicken-littles" who think it will mean the end of the world will survive.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  9. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

This all sounds exciting for Episode 2 content!

Aimend, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  10. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Can we please not capitalize unnecessarily? Let's also tone down the personal jabs for everyone else :). Thanks.

Time Lord, Stahlknecht, Acred and 5 others like this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Stryker Sparhawk likes this.
  12. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I have everything I need and/or want, but thank you. But as the OP pointed out there may well be many who will be happy to purchase pledges that were previously expired, and since Portalarium's primary responsibility as a business is to grow and produce income, her idea/suggestion is good for them.

Leelu likes this.
  13. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

While we understand the desire for these items and pledges we will not be doing this. This would betray the trust of those who we told these items would be expired and not be coming back.

Lord Bankee, Retlaw, Aimend and 31 others like this.
  14. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

While the suggestion may appear to be good natured and well intended, it would be a logistical nightmare in the customer support aspect of it to arrange such an event. All that in a week? This is not even to suggest the staffing issues that would be needed to handle all the customer support tickets generated. The ROI is very much against this, which is one reason pledges are ending and the creation of bundles are here.

Ember and Leelu like this.
  15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Unless if deep pocket spenders (you know, the ones purchasing the most exclusive and time-constrained pledges, promising them "rarity" and "value") feel betrayed by this breaking the promise, and stop spending.

Then what would have done Portalarium to their bottom line? A quick firework, and fizzling thereafter.

Nowhere near a wise move.

Fake edit: oh, Darkstarr just replied, basically carbon copy with what I'm about to post.

Solazur, Ember, Acred and 2 others like this.
  16. enderandrew

@Trina - Have you seen the new bundles? These are meant to effectively replace the old pledge tiers. There are some items exclusive to these bundles (like the Kobold and Viking bundles) that will be rare some day.

x_Selene_x, Ember, smack and 4 others like this.
  17. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

its not? people spent that money because they were told supply would run dry. and thats all fair imo. you raise prices when you feel you can and lower them if feel you need to catch up.

right now SotA seems to be doing well imo... people spending a lot of time ingame to get where they expect to be.

should early backers have an advantage?
    absolutely. they made possible what we experience now. we would still have ugly avatars/scenes/animations/etc, if they/we wouldnt have paid upfront. i wouldnt have returned if avatars would have stayed the way theyve been back when we would do the hat-tours. i wouldnt been pissed neither if that happened... i paid quite some cash for games turning out to be unplayable for my taste.

imo its a misconception what this is going to be.
    would you expect to be on top of the foodchain paying for 3 months of WoW? at some point all this will even out and people will invest more time into shaping their character into what they want to play, instead of whining on forums how screwed their perception of their choice seems to be.

"i paid 10usd to get whatever item"... what did you expect? it making you win the game? in sp maybe.
    and that seems to be what some paid for and care about most. you can have as much as you like in sp, if it comes to me.
    but entering a persistant multiplayer world things need to be balanced. you not like? me [not really] sorry for you. you're not gonna win SotA, aswell as you couldnt win UO. (remember there aint been quests at all?)

i respect the fact that some paid for sp experience.... they shouldnt be allowed to sell on mp though tbh. if youre spending your time dealing with others, therefore making the world seem to be more lively, you should get some benefit.

Ember, Time Lord, Mykll and 1 other person like this.
  18. Trina

Trina Avatar

Thank you for all the replies! See you all next week for the marathon!

19. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

As Darkstarr already said - it's mainly about trust. And lost trust is much harder to recover, if at all, than the short term gain is worth.

Ember and Mykll like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

That sounds great DarkStarr! "So this mean we can have all new pledges" :D!'

"All New Pledge Packages":)!'
    [​IMG]
    Roll back time and let the new pledging begin ;)!'

~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Bushmaster and Mykll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.