Change game install location possible w/o reinstalling?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by VasKalCorp, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VasKalCorp

VasKalCorp Avatar

Want to put the game on a different drive. If I move all the files to a different drive, will the game updated the registry when I start it or do I need to uninstall then install on new drive? (different drive letter)

Acred likes this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm not sure. Since I use Steam, what I did was change the game properties to the new location. That started trying to download everything again, so I stopped the download, manually moved the files from the old location to the new location, then restarted Steam. Detected that the files were current, and everything was fine. Could probably do the same using the patcher.

Acred and NRaas like this.
  3. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Steam allows you to move around game installations, but it may not for the general game itself. You could try moving it, and if it doesn't work, just move it back. If it still doesn't work, ooops... then reinstall :).

Acred likes this.
  4. VasKalCorp

VasKalCorp Avatar

I went for broke and just moved it. Even though I changed the properties on shortcut, it said it was searching for launcher and then it fired up and everything was fine.
    So who gets the kudos for that... Windows 10 or Portalarium? :rolleyes:

Acred likes this.
  5. Snazz

Snazz Avatar

Since Win7 it's pretty standard. There are references to game dir and executables in the registry. Typically that is the only change you have to make in any scenario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.