Character Limit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhawkas, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhawkas

Rhawkas Avatar

Why is there such a severe limit on how many characters you can create? With how many different skill categories there are, there are quite a few different combinations one can easily come up with for their character. So being limited to just one character seems, well, cruel. Especially to people with too much free time that like to play a variety of different characters. And that's just one aspect of it. What if you're a roleplayer but don't always want to roleplay the same character? Maybe one day you want to play the stalwart champion of justice and the next you want to play the wizened old wizard. Is there any particular reason why we're limited to just one character?

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Well, desinge choice.
    And probbably a financial choice as well.
    We all are pretty sure new character slots will find their way into the add on store at some point.
    Maybe the devs even said so but i can't remember tbh ^^

4EverLost likes this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Certain pledge levels have come with additional character slots.

As Atogrim suggested, watch the add on store in the future for other opportunities. :)

And welcome!

Armaden Restal likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You can learn all the skill oyu want so if oyu want to be a wizard one day and a warrior the next all you have to do is change your deck and wala. The time spent trainin both skills could be spent on one char making it better and stringer.

MagiK likes this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Originally the game was intended just to have a single character. The design was to think of the character as YOU... the digital manifestation of yourself in New Britannia. The additional character slots were a concession to backers that asked for them. They likely (when implemented) will share the same last name and reputation (virtue score) to reinforce that "you are you" even behind different masks.

FrostII, Net, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  6. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

Most in this game can be changed by the right amount of RL-money. You could order a big golden Gorilla if you are willing to pay for it :p

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Rawkas to Shrouds. Having another character in sota is not the same perhaps or as meaningful as in other games since you can't change your reputation to play for example a virtuous character and also have a non-virtuous character. As mentioned Your reputation will follow you but I understand your wanting one. I agree with others, additional character slots will probably show up on the add on store;), and since this is a buy to play game that would help.

8. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

how many can you have as a base number? 1? 2? usually 2 is plenty for me, but in Diablo I run one of each class...but thats a different type game

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Given skill decay and the time required to maintain skills, it really comes down to hours = skill levels. You won't be able to beef up one character, freeze it, then develop a second. Your first will degrade while you work on the other. Put all the skills on one, or split them between two; the number of skill points and their maintenance cost remain the same.

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It depends on your Pledge Level.

Ancestor got a 2nd character slot, and Virtual Collector got a 3rd.

I expect additional character slots to be made available in the Add-On store, though I've heard of no definitive plans or timing for that.

11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

oh thats plenty then.

12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Unless you were at our above those pledge levels before November 2nd 2015 then you only get one character slot.

13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Maximum decay is, I think, 3 days? And you can, I think (because I never tried) go to the Oracle when you log in and have that decay erased - since decay only is applied on death.

Mugly Wumple likes this.
  14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

What do you say to the Oracle for that?

15. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

That was something @Chris said at one point, but it may not be accurate still. I never have worried about decay because I wasn't power-gaming with all the wipes.

16. Net

Net Avatar

Well ,you can learn all the skills if you want to with single character, as skills are based on xp you got, it does nto matter whether you learn 50 skills with 1 avatar or 5.

4EverLost likes this.
  17. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

18. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Yes, you're right, @Lord Andernut. I recall now that the 3 day limit was implemented after users pointed out it penalized players who, for whatever reason, were unable to play for a long period.
    So, conceivably, one could develop a character, store it away, and work on a second without the first decaying. I does remain a problem if both characters are played on a regular basis without frequent visits to the Oracle* if and when that's implemented.

*I wonder is she's influenced by a treacly grovel?

Acred likes this.
  19. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

That isnt an issue :) at least for me, I can see how it might get be a problem for people with only one slot though.....I would think one alt would be a good minimum.

20. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

for those times like deployed over seas as active duty, or on the road for work to unfriendly places.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.