Chris new changes about decay.. death.. 10000 xp for newbies...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gatsu., Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

OMG .. there is something very strange on SOTA development.
    every day the game become more complicated for nothing.
    Chris
    i've a solution for decay issues chris.

REMOVE loosing pool when a player die.. and STOP trying to incentive players to not die (and to not fight and explore)

all players hate this thing.. it's not related to anything on real world... (losing experience?? what???)\

if you want to make player lose something.. make a IGG counter about how many GP player take from enemies when started current session... i think that loosing this money is a little bit more realistic... (2K ? ..ok i can deal with that.. NP)

and maybe reduce by 50% reagents amount and same thing for scrolls and repair kits

100 mandrake .. i die.. 50 Mandrake...
    70 garlic.. i die.. 35 Garlic...
    100 black pearls.. i die.. 50 black pearls....
    80 sulphur.. i die.. 40 sulphur...
    100 Spider silk.. i die.. 50 Spider silk....
    200 obsidian chips.. i die.. 100 obsidian chips....
    200 corpse wax .. i die.. 100 corpse wax....
    100 nighshade.. i die.. 50 nighshade....
    70 serp scales.. i die.. 35 serp scales...
    5 recall scroll... i die ... 2 recall scroll..
    10 teleport scroll... i die ... 5 teleport scroll..
    4 repair carpentery... i die ... 2 rapair carpentery..
    4 repair balcksmith... i die ... 2 rapair blacsmith..
    2 repair tailoring... i die ... 1 rapair tailoring..
    1 repair tool... i die ... 0 rapair tool..

i can understand that portalarium want to force players to connect to game again .. again.. again.. (it's a business... i can understand) but this can be made without any strange complication.. and without NERFING of REDUCING.. ore removing something..

when a player die.. give to player +3 of STR after 22 hours .. for 6 hours...

this incentive players connection... the player is more powerfull and maybe can retry to deal with enemy that kill it on previous day.

(P.S. yesterday i died 2 times doing the siege without food and potions ... when this happened.. i just stopping playing... i received just frustration from this.. an maybe an incentive to stress you and portalarium on the forum.. and maybe to take food and potions next time)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  2. mikedeathdealer

mikedeathdealer Avatar

They need to stop the negative pentalies of the game... It's already enough with the current style of the game where you need to gain 10% more exp every level. Just to gain a minor % every 10 levels.. Get rid of the decay, Bring back zones that give you good exp for group play ( Control points) Revert thing like Deep ravens wood old school mob density, Halberd drops from zones..! People want a worth of logging on and continuing progression even if its minor! Everything portalarium has done is discourage people from wanting to continue playing the game and progress. From mining to Adventuring and so on!..... Wonder why people have stopped playing and moved on???!!@!!! It's time to stop limiting players and let loose the time and effort people want toinvest into the game!!! #ReleaseTheChains We want to have fun! #MakeSotaFunAgain

Nikko, Gamician, StarLord and 21 others like this.
  3. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

there is somethign strange for parties... with a regeneration food i can do a siege without any issue killing the Lich or Indigno (other cabalist i can't for now) .. BUT if another player join party (maybe weaken than me) the siege become more difficult... ( i have to refill my health 2 times with potions )

or this is a BUG.. or scene are changing difficult based on number of player of the party.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  4. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Dont speak for others. I like the idea of skill dekay in generell.

Wrong.
    • I see this on a daily basis when i distribute tasks to employees who have not performed this task for a time.
    • If you do not regularly do your sport exercises you will suffer the first day: power, speed, coordination and the next day you have aching and you cant even train.

5. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

and sayants become more powerfull for ever ... :p all heroes become more powerfull after a die... and sorry.. i want to be a hero.. not an employee (maybe other players want to be a fastfood guy)
    [​IMG]

6. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Death should not be taken lightly, it needs a penalty. You are supposed to be scared of zones which are too high level. This is not a play ground, it's a dangerous and harsh wilderness. ;)

7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

please stop with these sorts of arguments, its really unfair. it also turns whatever else you said into weaksauce, I stopped listening after this line.

<------- PLAYER THAT LOVES EXP LOSS ON DEATH!!! DOES NOT HATE "THIS THING"

also, I would prefer no exp bonus. just get good at not-dying.

8. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Couldn't agree more, if they don't start listening to the players then the game will not have any left to play, I have taken a break due to Chris and His antics, sad that this ex UO player doesn't understand the player!

Gamician, Dantuin, fonsvitae and 5 others like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Okay OP. Let me start here

A LOT OF PLAYERS HATE THIS THING* FTFY -- There i just covered the first 5 responses. Settle down with the mass amounts of productive responses..

Personally i find the decay in general retarded.
    The whole logic behind it is to put some sort of soft cap in the game, making it harder but not impossible for players to be god-mode in everything. While this sounds medioccer at best of an idea, in practice i see it failing and being a HUGE turn off in SOTA.

Right from the gekko, it discourages players from taking risks, adventuring, exploring and in a lot of cases even grouping for situations that should be FUN AND ENJOYABLE, to now be * is this going to cost me more exp then its worth? Yes? back to safely farming greens* .
    This is a HUGE counter point, as I can speak from experience of loosing numerous players for this EXACT issue. I can speak from experience that it completely turns people off from doing things that arn't their Routine.
    How is this a good thing?

Yay for players over farming under leveled stuff so they dont risk having to die. Yay to the appeal of being penalized for actually trying to explore and do new things. I would love to see the stats of how many unique adventure scenes most people have gone into, and the time they spent. I bet you its like 5% in unique scenes .. then 45% in one farm, and 45% in another. I know looking at my friends list, and player list.. the same people are always in their same farm zones because routine/exp yield / they know how to not die.
    I know and im guilty of it myself.

If you want to Cap something, then cap it. The MASSIVE exp curve and the whole argument is * No one will ever hit 200 in anything anyways * right off the bat contradicts that this penalty is for *soft capping*. So why have it at all? Seriously.
    So the solution to an awful mechanic, is to add more back door mechanics to try and justify it, without looking at it as a whole and realizing theres simpler and better ways to do it.

SOTA is trying so hard to be unique and complex in features, that it ends up making them garbage.

I believe completly there should be penalty on death. Make it a debuff. Make it a gold cost or a durability hit. Do something that isnt pushing players backwards, especially in a system that STILL ACCUUMULATES when your offline ( which is also IMO Retarded on its own). They should just stop beating around the bush and make you log in every 2-3 hours to feed you character. Oh and then you should have to do bathroom breaks. Oh and also you should need to workout to maintain strength. Or meditate to maintain focuse. Yea i feel like they should just make this the Sims, ( oh wait even the sims doesnt have decay ) . Theres a difference between complexity and immerssion, and making things annoying and unappealing.

And the last point im going to make, yet again. Is just the sheer amount of time that has gone INTO this BAD mechanic, that has already cost them players and is a MAJOR turn off to people ( too general? ) To some players here. Theres SO MANY OTHER THINGS that @Chris should be doing to make this game better. But instead more time is being put into this ridiculous thing.

Im a huge fan of logging in when i only got an hour to play. And dieing to a lag spike, or my skill bar freezing up.

Yea for most part its 20 min of farming. minus load times, minus travel time, minus all other time of getting to your good *exp per hour* spot. In which case my hour of playing ends up leaving me in a negative when i get off.
    If i didnt play normally for 2-3-4 hours at a time, then i wouldnt play SOTA at all.
    This mechanic costs you casual players. This mechanic is garbage. Stop trying to justify it. All its doing is turning people off of exploring, adventuring and playing the damn game. If its effecting the *soft cap* that much, then lower the mob exp per kill overall or offset it somehere else. ( Altho your 200 cap in a skill being un attainable should be pretty much enough anyways ) and penalize death in a different way. Theres a 100 good suggestions in this forums and other games who have done it right. Stop trying to re invent the wheel with the idea of needing it to be a triangle, and get to the rest of the damn car already.

- Blight.

10. Gatsu.

Gatsu. Avatar

Ahhhhhh guyss... players (lookign at steam %) are falling from 600 to 200 .. this mean just a thing.... PVP is broken DECAY is broken...

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont mind the decay, id rather have it than nothing.

Im at end-game. I can solo small groups of end-game guys and make a big difference against end-game bosses.

I only lose 60k xp for dieing 3 or 4 times. Not a big deal. Thats always earned back without my even realizing, with high level skills always training.

IF you push beyond end-game, your gonna run out of harder things. Youre gonna run out of things that provide xp enough for your continued progression to be "easy".

Alot of folks are willing to explain to the newbie, who is excited about his 10k xp, that he will lose 150k xp at end game, which is misleading.

12. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

but but! steams the devil! steam doesnt show how people think! dont tell me what i think of the game! Those numebrs are lies! All those reviews are just haters!

Its a dumb mechanic and i have buddies who just have it on their list of reasons they wont touch this game. Been saying it for months.
    Glad hes wasting more development time on it, instead of other features that should have already been implemented.

True, i can offset the death penalty most times too.
    The kicker is when you get further along, and then try to play in smaller dosses. It increasingly becomes less appealing to group and do risky stuff. It increasily becomes a pain in the ass everytime the game bogs down or bugs up on you. Or the spawns act up or w.e else. And just in general the mechanic of the penalty is pretty unappealing to new players.

Jump on the game for an hour. After load times, travel times, prep, and OOC time. Sometimes a death (especially if you havnt been on in a day or 2 ) can cost you enough you literally accomplish nothing that hour. Especially if you spent that time heading to a place that isnt your best exp/hour zone. Now your backwards. So count the time to go back to the farm area, and recoup it. Its just unappealing in general.

The closest thing ive seen to a fix was when he was discussing only having it accumulate during ONLINE, while in an adv zone. Which at least makes some sense. But as far as i know that idea was scrapped.

13. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This is inaccurate.

600 was at perdistance and that dropped down to 250 or 300 before decay was introduced.

Salix and Gatsu. like this.
  14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Alot of folks i play with are those that used to grind like crazy in eastreach and get as many adv levels as possible. They are now the folks who give up first while adventuring, and the ones who simply played the game without racing to the finish line i am finding to be the folks im having fun with

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

While i dont disagree with it all, I feel like Chris is implementing things that are group decisions. They are a Team, so i dont belive singling him out is fair. Any and all members of PORT have a voice and can read/play the game.

Personally i think he busts ass. But i just disagree with where hes choosing to spend his time. This being one of those * why is this still something that isnt/wasnt hammered out months ago, and why is this even a thing? And now why are you not putting in other/better features or polishing other things. * lol Thats what bugs me.

16. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Wish we could loose levels when dying.

Soft cap is way too soft!

Balance is not existing.
    It's skill everything or loose....

i want a hard decay or a skillcap rewarding loot, rare spawn bosses and no boss switch mode grinding and many more.

The Game feels build by the opinions of 24/7 hardcore grinders who want to grind everything to 200.

I for long have given up to level something or to be competetive.

If people like me begin to think of pvp or economy i want to sell everything and quit the game.

And you ask for deleting the only cap we have, a ridiculous soft cap, but better than nothing.

I tell you what makes people come and play this game.

1. Skillcap to be able to catch up or a decay what is more effective and over time and additionally for unused skills
    2. Row houses for everybody achievable with igg.
    3. rewarding loot
    4. smart bossfights, rare spawn...
    did i mention rewarding loot.

The only cause people hate decay is because they have only one aim in this game.

Getting higher, faster, further and some sort of King of the Hill.

Wake me up if something more interesting happens. Lame.

Logain and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yes, I remember when Chris talked about that.
    On May 8th in his "Blog", Chris said:
    We were hopeful until 8 days later when he said:
    Sorry Chris, but that's just wrong, completely wrong.
    Many people are not adventuring for fear of this dumbass death penalty, and this aspect alone will make SotA not fun to play, and games that are not fun to play just don't get played.

DarkStarr begins each and every live stream as far back as I can remember - by profusely thanking us for our feedback and how essential and valuable it is.
    So when I saw this next post by Chris, I realized that at least one of the main guys is in complete disagreement with LB and DS on the point of player feedback:
    Send it to him privately?
    That's rich.
    Don't make our thoughts on the decay system public, where it can be discussed.
    Sad, very sad ....

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I still favor decay. It makes me play like I want to live.

Lord Ravnos likes this.
  19. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

You are correct, this isn't a play ground. This is video game. It is supposed to be enjoyable which means you shouldn't be scared of anything. The game shouldn't just cater to play styles that involve sitting in your house and not going out to explore. A lot of people find the inside walls of their player home boring and want to go out and explore and have fun. If I see a troll, I will make it a challenge to kill that troll. I shouldn't be punished for playing a game in a play style that is most enjoyable to me. All this will do is make people find other games that don't punish fun.

Also, this is an online game which has lag issues and disconnects. Losing hours of XP due to lag is not fun.

20. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

Sorry folks, but the deck system and the nonsensical introduction of decay as a penalty literally 1% of this community sees favorably need to go. There's lots on both sides of the coin about this game, but one thing that's almost always seen poorly is the combat. I'm not even referencing the animations and visuals here, simply the mechanics behind abilities and how experience advances them/you.

These systems have failed. Remove them and dumb down the combat to something snappy, but fun. Succumb to the fact that you'll be the millionth game with cooldown/resource management ability based combat, and diversify the experience for this game with unique abilities, combinations, and other mechanics that can add a positive and easily understood combat mechanics. Once you get simplified, BALANCED combat down, THEN introduce things like this as an optional, but highly desired way to keep enhancing your character. Maybe make it so some point WAY down the road more xp can be earned towards some sort of alternate advancement if you agree to lose a % of it when/if you die farming it.

There's a huge issue right now that I'm sure you're aware of. Faith. Not too many folks, myself included, have faith that the character progression in this game will ever enter a state that makes people want to log in just to experience it (regardless of how much they ultimately get out of it in the end). People should want to log in and experience the mechanics of a game, even if they're already so deep into it that their actual progress is minimal.

It changes too often. Things are missed too often. Dealing with single vs. multi player, pvp, and the constant ridiculousness of the decay mechanic are all things that are almost universally panned by objective people playing and reviewing this game. Permanent-loss mechanics aren't in a lot of games because a lot of people don't want to lose progress for any reason - a minor setback is OK when its clearly defined and predictable, and of course minor is the key word here. Minimal, predictable loss. Those are not words I would use to describe the absolute disaster the decay system has historically been since I've been following the game for almost two years now. It's not good. Nobody wants it. Time to table it and move on.

Nobody wants a generic experience. And that's not what I'm trying to say. I'm trying to say that what you need now is a stable, balanced combat system that you can call feature complete (for the time being). Something that's stable and easy to understand without all this, excuse my french, stupid bullshit. Cause that's pretty much how I describe nearly every post I've seen on combat in the past year. Enough's enough. Get something nailed down and leave it to work on the many other things that need your attention.

Hope this shot of tough love helps. I've got a feeling I'm gonna be crucified for it, though. I'll say this once again. We need stability. Cut the deck and decay system out. Nobody likes death penalties (comparatively to the people that do). If you're insistent on continuing to implement one - make it minor, and clearly defined. No more constant forum threads explaining/defending mechanics. If you can't explain it in-game with a clear and concise UI implementation, it probably doesn't need to be in the game yet.

Good luck.

Mortanius, Dantuin, Gatsu. and 8 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.