1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat and PVP team update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Kinda back on topic, I'd really like to get the forum's opinion about a deck-building issue. For the moment, the system has a very (very) strong incentive to have a locked heal spell (I honestly think there is literally zero reason not to do it), because if there's only one spell you want to be able to cast anytime, it's gonna be a heal.

Now, thinking about character building, that means in the current state of the design, pretty much 95% of players in the game would spend around 10 skill points in Life just to have access to a locked (and possibly some unlocked) heal.

The questions are then :

- Is the design working as intended ? (I think it is)
    - More importantly, should that be the case ? Isn't it a sort of non-choice ? (and what's the place of "non-choices" in a classless system?)

To tell you the truth, I don't really see a problem with that per se, it just always feels sort of strange to have a system where you should be able to do anything, but you end up having say 50 points of EVERY build that just HAVE to be spent on certain skills.

It also can be linked to spells like recall or a plain teleport/flash, if they make it into the game, will there be any reason not to take them on every char ?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

We are still missing alot of features like Potions, scrolls and bandaids. Hopefully these will be an alternative to needing a heal spell. I do not plan to use a heal spell on my mage, and haven't needed it thus far in my combat.

As far as recall goes...same thing...scrolls could solve the problem of needing to learn the skill.

3. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

I kept on losing target in fights, highly annoying, I needed to concentrate on my spells cast but my attention was drawn to was my target still red, and the majority of the time was I had lost my target through whatever circumstances beget the game, It was very frustrating at time but i can still tell you I enjoyed the PVP
    (EDIT: I was drunk when I typed this!)

4. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Very good point, I must say I mistook a pre-alpha for a full game :)

Yeah, if items can "balance" different builds (quotation marks because I'm not too sure a 50g health potion should be worth a skill point in heal but that's nitpicking :p) then it should allow for a wide variety of offensive builds that can be made more "supportive" (heals, cc, buffs...).

This combat and leveling system could end up way deeper than I first thought.

Samlee, Khloec, Ned888 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Oh for sure...it's quite exciting to realize that as fun as the combat system was, it's just scratching the surface of what will be.

I really do hope to see banaids, which are make by a tailor, potions made by an alchemist, and scrolls made by inscription in game. I loved that aspect of UO...I honestly can't remember another game I played that had bandaids and scrolls that could be crafted...Options for all types of character make for a very interactive and fun world for sure. I remember learning first aid to a degree of cure poison took quite a long time. It was part of the fun of the system tho.

6. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

not a big friend of bandages yes it was cool in UO but I always imagined how that would look in a real world constantly applying bandages while swinging with 200 dex would look quite silly no?

Samlee likes this.
  7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

well it was kinda realistic in the way that for the first months of learning bandaging you were doomed to die if you relied on it haha...but with practice you could improve...But I'm sure they could add a better bit of realism to it...

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

in a r
    in a real fight bandagesd would at best be applied after the fight not during the fight....

Samlee likes this.
  9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I remember in UO alot of times you couldn't bandage during a fight because it kept failing or getting interrupted...that's pretty realistic too :)

10. Samlee

Samlee Avatar

R8 a great success from my perspective!

I created a L:ight Armored, Ranged (Longbow) character, with Heal Ray and Resurrection, to back up my Heavy Armor clad Guild mates in PvP and PvE Dungeon Delving. The build (Deck) actually worked quite well in my Solo adventures exploring and story-questing. (more here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-make-it-worth-while.10258/page-3#post-222331 )

I used the "alt" key to target myself in solo play for self-heals, and the "f#" keys to target self and Party members in PvP to good effect. Having never participated in PvP in any previous game, I am now hooked on the potential and determined to remain open minded until the final product is revealed. From what I have seen and experienced so far, I forecast a great adventure for all "styles" of players, be they RP, PvP, PvE, Solo, or combinations to suit.

The Deck System is a keeper, and with additions such as hard targeting, scrolls, potions, and dungeon mapping (I get lost!), we will see an even more exciting world on the horizon.

-Samlee Bowman

P.S. I can make short and long bows now, does anyone know the recipe for arrows?

11. Lord Spaz

Lord Spaz Avatar

Actually not everyone used heal some were amzing without it I think espada in his mage setup was stated without heal and pretty sure thunder chicken didnt have heal also both were doing really good with their setups and maybne once we can craft potions builds without healing could become more popular. I coudlnt think of any way to go without healing at the current state of the game.

Samlee likes this.
  12. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Consumables will have their limitations. Apparently the Yahoo interview with Lord British said something about having to eat certain types of foods to stay fit, and also you can only consume so much before being full. That may include potions.

Samlee and Lord Spaz like this.
  13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Richard has a large document written up on nourishment and food. I don't think it will fall into the same category as potions and other short term consumables. Instead, I think they will provide more mild, long term buffs for players.

14. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Long term = good.

Short term = not good.

Cool. :)

Retro and Samlee like this.
  15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Post it, please.

Samlee, Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  16. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I really would love to see it as well! :)

Samlee and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Thanks for clearing that up.

Samlee likes this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Yes, he talked to us about this in R8. He talked about breaking the food types down into carbs protein and fat and how food would not just heal you life but would affect your focus or give you certain modifiers as well, perhaps. That cooking crafting would enter into it with you needing to eat certain types of food to be at your best. That you would need to eat once per game day (once per hour or so in real time).

Very interesting...

19. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

That will make cooks very important. Also since food can spoil, that will mean we cannot carry a bunch of food on us unless it is dried out jerky. I have a feeling jerky might not be so good if you eat it every single day.

Retro, Samlee and Kaisa like this.
  20. Jambot

Jambot Avatar

Not the actual document but the interview in which Mr. Garriott explains the spirit of his design. Comes when you've scrolled about 75% of the page ; a lot of the interview revolves around the "good ol' days", but there is some very interesting information all around : Yahoo Games Richard Garriott interview

Samlee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.