1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Combat and PVP team update!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Ive also thought that maybe when a fireball is cast it burns things on its way to the targeted spot, i do like targeting the area more than the person, seems more like real D&D style

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's an excellent question, and one that is often overlooked or given the standard developer answer "it's a magical world and we expect people to use SOME magic" instead of actually addressing the problem and trying to balance out a pure fighter with the rest of the hybrid player base.

A pure fighter should have the opposite benefit of a pure mage. A pure mage having no casting penalties (presumably), the pure fighter having no combat skill penalties. A pure fighter with NO armor mind you (think, Conan).

Samlee and L.M. Avorin Swiftslay like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've often wanted to see a system where the bow could be used in limited fashion in melee. The problem is the level of skill that would be required, limited effectiveness and increased wear on the bow. I don't think it's a free pass. If anything it's only a moment's reprieve if you're successful. Not unless your bow has 6"+ spikes or bladed ends. It wouldn't really do significant damage. At best you might knock someone back or parry a blow.

I would expect both archers AND mages to be able to utilize some sort of weapon other than the bow or spells in close quarters. If I were to have a pure mage I would also make sure I was proficient with a staff.

4. CountessCaterina

CountessCaterina Avatar

I saw the point you were illustrating, no reagents might as well not have any arrows either and just go with magic arrows. None the less, we are now talking about both of those things, as a pure mage in UO and a player of many previous Ultima games spells without reagents or spells with %ReagentUse is a total slap in the face to me.

Spiritual successor? Put in reagents, make spells use them every cast.

Samlee, Super Ki, Myrcello and 2 others like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Yes, exactly! A fireball should hit friends and plants and stray dogs and just burn everything it touches. Everything in it's path that's not dead should have fire DOTs that make you say "I hate fireballs!" before you die.

6. Drocis the Devious

If we're only talking about using the bow as a quick parrying device that helps you in a pinch and can't be used over and over again with any success, I'm all for it. If we're talking about the bow being a free secondary weapon that can kill someone, that's not good.

Samlee, Numa and Kaisa like this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Chris,
    i would also like to see more damage dealt from jumping onto an opponent, but could lose a little defense in the process to balance that out, say with my war hammer, great axe or whatever.

Samlee likes this.
  8. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

with regard to the complaints about people spamming 123,123 and therefore the card based system is required. I say this is lazy design, I like Chris's comment that he wants to make spell choice based on utility. This is a far better idea, rather than penalizing or stopping people using x skill, make each spell\skill have strengths and weaknesses and then people WONT spam the one button because there will be an incentive to use other spells\skills. Carrot, not stick

9. High Baron Asguard

If we want to talk about the old Ultima's, who ever played a pure character at all? you were always a mage\ranger\fighter

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

While I do think it would be cool to outfit a bow with afore mentioned spiked and bladed ends.. I generally agree. Bows are just not designed to be lethal, close quarter weapons. You could parry with them.. maybe smack someone with the end but ultimately that kind of use would do more damage to the bow than any lasting damage to an enemy. That said.. I would love to see that kind of use possible to parry a blow (again at the risk of damaging the bow)

Samlee and Ronan like this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

CountessCaterina, did you read the thread, Chris says spells will use regents, so no worries there. Just an example was being made. I'm sure arrows will have to be crafted or bought as regents have to be found or bought. We have many UO fans who want the nostalgia of regents here also. ;) You are not alone on this believe me.:)

12. Drocis the Devious

Yes, and that's what I hate most about "classless systems". They allow people to play as hybrids and that's great for the majority of people. But they all too often don't allow people to (viably) play as a pure whatever (mage, thief, fighter, cleric, ranger, etc..). I think this negatively impacts roleplaying and it also hurts the core balance of your combat system when this is the case.

Samlee, Lord Baldrith and Kaisa like this.
  13. CountessCaterina

CountessCaterina Avatar

My point is a very simple one to understand; when you cast a spell in Ultima, it consumes reagents.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What about having a basic human ability to attack. I totally agree with the bludgeoning skill points though in order to be able to use it proficiently.

I haven't seen all the skills in action, and how many points the skill/level cap is yet, not to mention the skills they haven't told us about yet but have alluded to. In fact they never discussed what skill is needed for attack accuracy. For all we know there might be one generic skill for combat attack accuracy that all weapon types use to determine a successful hit or miss.

In fact if they had one generic skill called "Combat Tactics" that determined a person's ability to make a successful strike with any weapon, that might cause some people to take up some skills in swords, and archery instead of just focusing on one weapon style. The fighter class in D&D had weapons he could specialize in, but for the most part he treated all standard and martial weapons the same. His class level determined his hit chance.

So for now, I'm just toying with the idea of being a mage again because of the conversations in here. However I may or may not take up the mace skills just because I have a staff (unless there is a defensive reason for doing so). Not that it isn't a good idea. I might rather focus my mage on spells and innate magic abilities. If they did have a "Combat Tactics" skill that helps determine hit/miss, I might pick that up but still pick up no bludgeon skills so I can focus on magery, but I could still use the weapon to do a strike here or there to disrupt my opponent.

15. High Baron Asguard

Oh and just one other thing, how many people who played mage's in SI did so using reagents and how many of you did seed of virtue as soon as possible at least as far as getting the ring of reagents so you never needed to think about it again?

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol I said and yes it will here too as Chris has stated, he only said very rarely it will not because he is a gambler. So you have your wish.;)

Samlee, Isaiah, Lord Baldrith and 2 others like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

So like a martial combat skill. I'm down with that, as long as it requires points.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm sorry but I have to nitpick here. Staves are pole-arms! :)

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Yes, maybe there will be a base ability. Not sure on that one, it would make it interesting. It might not do good against some one with skill points in melee combat/defense but against another mage or what not it might be all the difference in the world.

20. Drocis the Devious

Star Citizen Mages, here we go! lol

[​IMG]

Samlee and Numa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.