Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Combat is impossible for me

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by docdoom77, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Best thing is to fight one enemy at a time.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

blaquerogue likes this.
  2. Beli

Beli Avatar

Auto attack is your friend right now.

3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

As devoutly supportive of the dev's and community as I am, if it were up to me, I'd be working furiously on an alternative combat system behind the scenes...

blaquerogue, Crikey and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

And use fireball and the electro bolt. Alternate between them too fire as fast as possible.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ras'al'horag, "undead lord", was really easy to kill this way. I just kept on running around him, hitting fireballs at him when I could. He didn't even touch me at all, even as he was saying "You will never prevail"

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Combat balancing isn't anywhere remotely close to done yet. Heck, combat isn't even fully functional yet. Some of the skills don't even work, like Shield Bash, which never, ever seems to stun the target, and the Blades skill Double Thrust, which seems to almost never hit even once (let alone twice). There's a lot work left to do in this aspect.

The most effective strategy right now is to first visit the Clink, where you can use the secret door in the Guard Officer's office to access these locations. Use /loc to view your current location.

EPIC PLATE TORSO
    The Clink
    -- Area: TheClink Loc: (-64.2, 0.1, 24.0)
    -- In a secret area off the hallway with a gate at each end. Break through the wall across from the torch at this location to reveal the chest

EPIC PLATE BOOTS
    The Clink
    -- Area: TheClink Loc: (-29.4, 0.0, 46.0)
    -- Down the stairs from the secret door in the Guard Officer's office

To acquire these items, you don't have to fight anything at all. There is a single Kobold Fighter locked in one of the cells, but you don't have to fight him unless you let him out.

Then leave the Clink and exit Owl's Head to the overland map. Head to the lake southwest of Owl's Head and enter one of the forest hexes next to the lake. You should be in a scene with grassland and smoke in the distance. You will find aggressive Elves in this scene, so be careful. You should be able to avoid them easily even if you aggro them by just keeping on moving. Once you've found the proper scene, look for these locations inside:

EPIC PLATE GLOVES
    River Elf Hex Chest 1
    -- Area: Forest 2 Dragon Fields Loc: (220.9, 180.3, 413.9)
    -- Near a rock formation

EPIC PLATE HELMET
    River Elf Hex Chest 2
    -- Area: Forest 2 Dragon Fields Loc: (409.2, 188.1, 240.5)
    -- At the tippity top of a small hill

For the leggings you will have to visit the Kingsport Sewers, where you will probably die. That's ok, though. Just wait the 45s to rez and keep going. You'll want to descend the dungeon the Lich throne room that is set up like a church at the bottom of the blue torch area. If you're not familiar with the area, it might take you a bit to find it.

EPIC PLATE LEGGINGS
    The Kingsport Sewers
    -- Area: Sewer 01 Loc: (56.4, 17.7, -153.8)
    -- In the Lich room that's set up like a church, right by the throne.

Now, if you used the "Take All" button when looting these chests, you should have a Great Halberd and/or a Grand Halberd in your inventory. These are very decent weapons. I suggest putting one point into each of the skills in the Polearms tree, one point into each skill in the Heavy Armor tree, one point into the Sun Magic spell Light, and one point into the Life Magic skill Heal Self. If you care to party with others, a point in Healing Ray is one well spent, and then you should have plenty of points left over for your magic(s) of choice.

When you fight, even if you don't need it for light, keep the Light spell up for its combat bonuses.

Also when fighting, there is one tip you should probably understand before any others, which is auto attack weaving. When your character uses a skill, it resets his / her auto attack, meaning you waste less time in combat if you use an attack skill immediately after an auto attack. This is hugely important with the pace of combat right now. Don't spam your skills. If you do you will run out of focus every fight. Hit with auto attack, then use Puncture, then wait for auto attack again. Puncture is your most damaging attack with Polearms.

If you work up the bravado to challenge a Lich and manage to beat it, you'll nab as loot a Skull Sword and a Lich Axe, both of which are weapons that can rival the Great / Grand Halberds.

Be conscious of using Healing spells in combat, too. Sometimes using it will cause you to lose your target, requiring you to double click the enemy again to start auto attack. You have to really pay attention to notice this if the red outline around the mob isn't as noticeable to you as the red circle was in R6 and previous.

mxlgame, Tarsin, blaquerogue and 5 others like this.
  7. KayenTelva

KayenTelva Avatar

Before going after Kobolds in the Gem mine, you need to get better stuff than the leather you start with. I went down into The Clink (found in Owl's Head) within the rock walls. The rock wall area is also the area where you find the guard Captain office which has a weapon rack in there that you can get some slightly better weapons.

The Clink is located behind a door that is below stairs that go on top of the rock wall and near the entrance that get's you inside the rock wall area (turn to the right as you enter inside the walled area). You need to convince the first guard Sergeant that you need to get in. Keep talking to him and convince him to open the door - you will have to sign some paperwork I believe. First door on the right after you enter is the Warden's office. There's a chest full of equipment. Put that on and go into the prison.

Inside the prison you will find two Kobold's that are locked up. I used the crossbow to kill them. You get several hundred gold from them. Between this and other stuff I found I was able to get enough money to buy armor from a merchant within the rock wall area - nice full plate armor (helm, chest plate, leggings, gauntlets, boots). I found a jeweled sword.

The other thing that made a difference was going in and re-assigning skill points so that I had things like fire, lightning, heal. In order to use these, you need to drag their icon down to your combat button bar. Melee attack alone wasn't helping with Kobold's - I need a combination of good melee with the best weapon I had and magic. Now Kobold's are fairly quick to deal with.

And if you can managed to kill a Satyr Kobold you can acquire a decent axe that has like 22 damage. With this I have taken out Red Shash bandits, bears, giant spiders, kobold's.

Good luck and hopefully I've helped someone get thru the tough part of getting started in this game. Now, I'm beginning to enjoy the game and start doing various odd jobs to dig into story aspects of the game.

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I know it's not the combat yet per se'. I usually start out with a fireball from a distance then a blades and whirling blades maybe a fire fist. If I need I do an early heal to get a little extra advantage. If I need I'll run them around and around and sometimes they get trapped see if I can get a bit of health and mana back. Just having fun with what we have at this point. ;)

blaquerogue and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I took on one kobold with a founders cutlass but had to use the shield bash skill with a crafted round shield. No epic plate , just epic leather armor on the torso, iron helm and regular leather equipment everywhere else.

The trick is to interrupt the kobold's slower hammer attack. I think patch 112 fixed the long range aggro btw since the second kobold never joined in or maybe because i'm not deep enough into the cave to matter. So far, drawing in the first closer to the tunnel entrance to avoid getting ganged up on seemed to work consistently. No offensive magics , just healing.

EDIT : After I realized that the crafted Iron Battle Axe is a Bludgeon, I waded into Dragon Cave again. Shield Bash, Break Armor and Crushing Blow refresh pretty fast - which means you nearly always have one special attack ready. Killed off the Kobold even easier than using the Founders Cutlass or even the Kobold Hammer itself. I used the SunBeam spell to draw them in this time & whittle their health down a little. Confirming that plate armor isn't necessary since I wore exactly the same getup as described above.

blaquerogue and docdoom77 like this.
  10. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I use most of the tactics described above (though i was unaware how important attack timing was). The biggest problem is I only have a few hours of time total to play during the release. By the time I got all the gear suggested, I'd be out of time. :p Guess I'll just have to wait until combat is more tuned. It's as much a "me" problem as a combat problem.

I am concerned about magic. It's decent right now, but only because I can spam it. If you threw in reagents, magic would not be very viable, except as support. I hope that it gets some serious love, so I can play a mage when the game is done.

blaquerogue and Numa like this.
  11. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Nah, getting the gear takes maybe fifteen minutes if you're familiar with the layout of the hexes. Thirty if you're not familiar. Just keep moving the whole time and you probably won't die at all. When you hit a chest, loot it using the Loot All option and keep running. :)

blaquerogue likes this.
  12. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

You're not taking into account my amazing ability to get completely lost in even the simplest environment. :p

13. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

You too, huh? :) At least we have a compass now - if I remember to take note of which direction I entered the hex. I'm amazed I can find my house again without the /home command, but if I didn't always enter the hex by the Town Crier I'd have a lot more trouble.

I'll go and have a look for this stuff, but I remember seeing those chests in the 'elf areas' in a previous release and I couldn't find them again the other day. I suspect it might take me a couple of hours to collect everything mentioned above! ;)

blaquerogue, docdoom77 and prospereau like this.
  14. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Hey Doc...I feel your pain...when I first started I died a lot until I figured out some basic stuff.

1. Plate armour, skull sword, big shield
    2. Kiting is your friend
    3. Root and range spells are very much your friend
    4. Don't put lots of points into individual spells...spread your points a little

I recently kited the lich thing to death solo in the undead dungeon down south and with a bit of kiting you'll take two or three elves simultaneously without too much trouble. If your around this evening I can hook you up with the armour and a shield mate.

DF.

blaquerogue likes this.
  15. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Appreciated. Dunno if I'll be playing anymore this release though. We'll see.

16. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thanks a million!!! You saved my day! Now I can craft and fight the baddies!!

But a...can I make platemail although it's not listed in my crafting book?? How do I add it?

blaquerogue and Lord Trenyc like this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

You have to discover items to have them added to your recipe book. Just craft the item to discover it. :)

18. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thank you for the great information. Now I can walk the earth with a little less fear. :p

blaquerogue and Lord Trenyc like this.
  19. Kraxtor

Kraxtor Avatar

I feel there is a really big scale different in enemies. For examples, in R7 106, the spiders on the way to the bandit cave were MUCH harder to kill than the bandits. I'm ok with that thematically, but it seemed odd to have to fight through "level X" mobs to interact with "level X-y" mobs.

Also, for me those Satyr warriors are impossible solo. I can take an archer, but even in plate, with opening spells fireball, lighting, then burning hands, running around and kiting close enough to not have them "run back" to their starting spot and heal was too difficult. Further, their last "sliver" of health seems to last indefinitely. I'm not sure of the dice roll or proc rate on some spells and special abilities, but it seemed I always rolled poorly when fighting them.

Also, dodging - it seems that Kobolds (with 1H hammers) and Satyrs have a SUPER long attack/damage range. I swear, I'd roll back away from an attack and still take damage. I never thought I would miss those damn telegraphs from Wildstar. (note, please do NOT put those in)

I think combat is ok. Some serious balancing is needed though. May get better as "levels" and "experience" are introduced - maybe we'll be able to tell a functional level difference between an avatar and a mob.

20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I crafted an Iron Plate Set but I also got the Epic Plate Set thanks to this post BUT...
    even with the Epic Plate Set, I can only survive a one on one fight against the Kobolds... 3 against 1 is kinda hard... :(

[​IMG]

docdoom77 and Lord Trenyc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.