Companions

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by High Baron Asguard, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

for companions I just want Jenna Coleman and Karen Gillan... I would be good to go then in any fantasy world.... :p ( I say this only cause the new season of Dr Who starts Saturday, for those who dont know... )

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs have discussed two things , companions and hirelings. Hirelings wouldn't be hard in multiplayer, they'd be like pets. Companions would, since you don't want duplicates of the same companion running around in the same scene. So its a problem they'd have to figure out. It would definitely be interesting to hear the dev take on this.

3. Warlord Greebo

Warlord Greebo Avatar

Well, I think the companion question really makes it a question of solo vs trinity play.

It seems like the mmo template of late has been to move away from classes... with there being no 'tank' or 'healer.' This can be a bad thing; when you have to just have someone fast run the mobs in circles while the 'party' burns them down (GW2). It is times like these when I think "yah umm just gimme a tank, i got thousands of hours experience in healing."

I guess it really goes to show, there are so many different styles for playing...

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I just dont see a tank being realistic. The heavy armor tree has a taunt skill, and it is geared up to being used as a tank type character. Although I think having a party with a "front line" makes more sense than some guy that every monster wants to attack while ignoring the rest.

What I mean by front line is if the party is 6 persons the front 3 should be warrior types, and the back three ahould be mage, healer, and rogue types. The front line should keep the monsters from getting past and killing the mages and healers.

Sure that is more difficult for a healer to manage, but it is far more realistic (and also a more traditional) way of handling a party.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

In old school RPGs I played, rogue types are often scouts that go out first even despite their weaknesses, because they're quicker and have better stealth.

Obviously this would work also with mages that have invisibility :>

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yes, and fighters with polearms could stand behind the leaders and push their weapons between their shoulders. Then, there's the archers.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah the front line doesn't have to be a ridged system... Just some players that are hardy rush up and fight and ranged hang back.

Although this game does have the potential to set up a front line just like this though. Imagine one or two of the Warriors use shields and they work together with the tetsudo or whatever skill to create a defensive barrier while they fight. If the party is all warriors then the polarms can stand behind and so can the archers.

A single tank while everyone else does dps and heals is not as dynamic as having each person play their role. However assembling a party might require guilds and friends to really get to know each other's strengths and weaknesses and develop a plan based on who is in the party.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That being said I hope the shield skills actually create a real barrier so that monsters and players should either go around or move slowly and expend focus to try to walk through the barrier.

That would be a really good incentive for or shields too. If it slowed a person trying to press through a defensive stance! That slowness would give a lot of extra time to bring that guy down.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

The thing I hope for is that they bring party combat more towards traditional skill based roles, which is what classical role-playing is built around... Simply because tank-healer-dps is just artificial and meta-gamey and kills role-playing.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Here is a good example of how a companion can contribute to the atmosphere and story:

smack, Vyrin and Sir Cabirus like this.
  12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

really? you are using TToN?

I think that is a horrible idea since that game raised 4.6 million vs. the 4.75 we have here....hmmmm, wait a minute.

I also appreciate they redid all the pledge options on the new website. You can literally resilience your pledge on anything you want, like changing out an alpha key for a wasteland 2 key e.g.

13. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, TToN looks great. However, I hope they do get the balance correct in terms of handholding (telling you what to do, where to go, who to talk to, hints about solving quests) vs. having a personality and commenting on your actions or providing information about themselves. Commentary about the world can be considered handholding too, but if that's part of the companion's background then it would make sense. A companion that magically knows everything about the game and literally spills the beans on everything without you even asking...well...

Lord_Darkmoon and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sir Cabirus and Joviex like this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Shocking.....I guess it didn't fit into their plans.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  16. tekkamansoul

tekkamansoul Avatar

Geez, Torment 2, Pillars, Wasteland 2... Where's the coffee...

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The companions section of the forums has dissapeared and all the topics are now gone.

What does this mean for the game? Are companions now officially gone?

Ronan, Net and Joviex like this.
  18. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

So much for this game not being a generic MMO

Ronan and Joviex like this.
  19. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Good question, i hope they dont.

Net likes this.
  20. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

I dont see how it will work with everyone running around with their own copy of Iolo and stuff like that. Seems a bit stupid. It could only work in singleplayer mode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.