1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Company Status

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Im honestly surprised to see this ships still floating on to EP2, kudos to being able to stay afloat post EP1, someone must be making some goos decisions over there. Unfortunate that some have to move on but its part of how the cookie crumbles.

2. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

For the community, for the devs leaving and the devs staying.... I only have one thing to say this morning after thinking all this over....

I think Train says it best!!! "I won't give up.. if you don't give up!!"

3. Godra

Godra Avatar

@DarkStarr sad to hear some people will no longer be on the team, but they have about 60,000+ backers to put down as a reference on their resumes right here in Shroud of the Avatar!!!

4. Arianna

Arianna Avatar

Thank you for the update DarkStarr, its sad that this has to happen but it is just the nature of things unfortunately. I would like to wish good luck and safe travels to all who are departing and thank you for all your hard work. Exciting new adventures are just around the corner.

<3

FrostII likes this.
  5. mute209

mute209 Avatar

Best of luck to all involved. I've had some unforgettable moments playing SotA and that wouldn't have been possible without all of you. Thank you

Paladin Michael and FrostII like this.
  6. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

@DarkStarr @Lord British , Is there a link to an official announcement on the reorganization? (Who is leaving the company? Who is staying and what their updated role will be?) It is a sad time and I'm sure these decisions were done with a heavy heart.

7. Rat2

Rat2 Avatar

Is it time for Richard to put up more equity to raise funds?

Nietzsche likes this.
  8. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

@Lord British @DarkStarr Actually, since Lum is leaving it's time for Richard to step in as a conversation, story, and quest developer.

9. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Maybe Tracy Hickman too?

Aeryk likes this.
  10. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

As I also told Puuk - I just can repeat what I said:

I enjoyed to follow quests and also to hunt for bugs inside quests - also those "by design" ;)
    And I am happy you gave us so many unforgettable NPC moments I remember with a smile ...
    ... while asking myself: "Aren't we all Jack?"

And not to forget the forgotten prisoner in Desolis Epitaph ... well - will there now be any chance to free him???

If a player takes the time to talk and - very important - listen to NPC, especially those without any quest - they can hear the far laughing and the special sense of humor of @Lum the Mad ...
    I really enjoyed the dialogues beside the questline ...

All the best for you - a part of you will be always an important part of this game!

Chin up and Farewell :)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  11. Corv

Corv Avatar

Don't see another way unless they go UO -no-quests-style.

hammadowna likes this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

To all those that are leaving the team; The pirate tips his hat for your monumental efforts. “Fair winds and following seas”, You will be missed and hopefully brought back in the future as revenues improve.

To the ones that had to make this decision; Time to figure out how to get more players to join our wonderful realm. How to do this I do not know but for starters more advertising and a good look at EP2 and it’s cost vs expected Kickstarter goals. Maybe purchase UO map and bring it to 3D life here as our new Landmass?. It might be cheaper than starting from scratch and bring more ex UO players.

To the rest of us players; let’s spread the advertising as much as possible and give Port solid ideas and our support. As we say in my line of work “Either we are part of the problem or part of the solution” R/Boris/El Pirata.

13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

To the devs leaving: you will be missed and I'll be looking at the world of New Britannia now and be thinking of all the developers who made it possible.

If revenue is an issue (and I'm assuming it is) - maybe now is the time to consider a voluntary subscription option (with monthly cotos, 6 month special item, etc.)?

Almar, Lancell, Witcheypoo and 8 others like this.
  14. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

+1

Shaylee and Boris Mondragon like this.
  15. Raven Swiftbow

Raven Swiftbow Bug Hunter

I don't think that revenue is actually an issue - this is a stage of the game's development that I think they anticipated. Indeed, there were hints here and there in the live streams about it - that the game would/could move on even with a much smaller team, etc. There were a lot of folks added to the team as they pushed toward the official release, and then they had a lot of scenes to unclone, etc. So the hiring that occurred about a year to a year and a half ago was anticipated and now that is winding down. To put in my own analogy on it:

There was a lot of activity needed as they built this ship, took it out for test runs, and finally christened it (Launch). Now that this ship has successfully left port and headed out to sea, it's time for them to batten down the hatches (fix all the lingering bugs) and make certain everything is "ship shape" as their journey continues. I suspect that we will again see a swell of activity once they spy their next port (Episode 2). But for now, we're cruising with the sails unfurled and a decent tailwind.

Bottom Line: This didn't really come as a big surprise to me. And I think it will all be fine. Of course we all wish the devs who are leaving the best of luck, but I also know that the work they did for Portalarium will stand them in good stead - and Austin has a lot of other game studios and more where they should be able to find good homes. We might even be lucky enough to spot one or two of them again when the work for Episode 2 really gets ramped up, but only time will tell on that. In the meantime, we the players can do our part to help get more 'passengers' aboard this ship!

16. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Anyone let go please message me directly about a possible employment opportunity in the Austin area. I can recognize talent when I see it. :)

17. Corv

Corv Avatar

StarLord, Jaesun and margaritte like this.
  18. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Wishing all that are leaving the best of luck and new projects to work on soon! :)

Thank you from all of us at Element Zero!

19. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

While a bunch aren't listed in the post, I'd be wary of assuming they are gone. There are any new mber of reasons they may not be listed. Now if they aren't there over the next few days or into next week, it would make the circumstantial evidence stronger.

Not sure who the 5 new people listed are. If you go back a few posts everyone in the posts have been listed in previous posts.

Paladin Michael and Alley Oop like this.
  20. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

That would be fine by me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.