Computer Requierment

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Uhtred Bebbanburg, Aug 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

Hi guys,

What is with the game's engine that has a pretty steep computer requirement. I am try to run the game on this on my Mac Book Air. Its not the greatest but I can run things like LoL and Heroes of the Storm, Rimworld just fine. But SotA makes it s slug fest. I have pretty much everything down to low but even then pushing 15-20 frames.

The game looks good but its not great by no stretch of the imagination. Any ideas? Thank you.

Feeyo and Kabalyero Kidd like this.
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

3. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

I have. It is on the low end of the requirements. But for game like this, I think the computer requirements seems a little high to me

4. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

5. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

The reason for this is mainly how nearly every single item out there when adventuring is it's own. So when you see a weapon rack full of weapons, it's the weapon rack and all the weapons, not just a weapon rack showing weapons. This is the games biggest advantage but also it's biggest flaw, as having to load thousands upon thousands of different items can drain a lot, but give you more possibilities.

Jaesun and Uhtred Bebbanburg like this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

See my post I linked to. If your hypothesis were true, then the world map should be one of the least resource intensive places to be. Instead (at least for the GPU), it's one of the most intensive. Being in a PoT surrounded by deco'd homes has a similar load for the GPU, but a bit more increase on the CPU. There's just something fundamentally off with SOTAs resource consumption.

Vaiden Luro likes this.
  7. golruul

golruul Avatar

How is your Macbook Air beating min requirements? I always thought it used the integrated graphics on the Intel CPU and that it was dual core.

8. macnlos

macnlos Avatar

It’s the discrete GPU for the most part. I have tried this on a MBP 17” which has a discrete GPU and its still pretty rough. I have a MBA as well and I don’t think you have a chance with it. SotA is a pig on the system specs. The other games you mentioned are both designed differently and better optimized. SotA is not. The rough part on the Mac side of things is you pretty much need a Mac Pro (to get the GPU needed) or the top end of the MacBook Pro.

9. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

Greetings all. So first thing. I have a MBPro with 16 gig ram, 1tb SSD, 2.9ghz i7 and a on-board Intel HD 4000 with 1.5meg GPU. I also have an iMac with 16 gig 1TB mechanical drive, 3.6 i7, and a Radeon Pro 560 4meg GPU. Both use the -force-glcore command.

Ok so first the world map is just that a map of all areas. When you go in to a scene you are getting a small subset of the land but with lots of deco. Both will be taxing due to what it need to keep up with.

Second both of my machines run the game ok. I have always used low settings because the mac is not a high end game machine and stutters a lot. The glcore command helps though. The biggest problem I have is my bandwidth. I have 8mbs where I am stationed now but I have 100 mbs when home in Athens, GA The bandwidth helps a lot with stuttering like when I DBL click on an chest or door and it fails to open. Also the difference between a mechanical drive vrs a SSD is amazing. Lastly because of the on-board GPU of my MBPro there are lots of graphic anomalies like not showing my heraldry, Having a hole in my chest, leggings not showing and walls on buildings missing. The iMac does not have these problems.

So the best I can suggest is Lots or memory, SSD, fast bandwidth, and beg plead and bribe Apple to put real graphic cards in their Laptops (will never happen). I have actually learned to play the game on my 2012 MBPro even with the graphic problems. When I bump into an invisible wall I just walk sideways until I can go forward again. I love this game that much!

PS... anyone with a newer MBPro with Thunder or USB-c can get an external GPU with SLI and that would help a lot. I don't have that kind of money though.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm sorry you are having troubles. Truly shroud of the avatar can't be compared with those games. There is an extreme amount of things that has to load. Almost Every player in this game has property. Some have many properties. On most of these properties are massive amounts of players items to load. We can massively decorate in this game. I mean a lot almost as much as we want. We create structures, place statues, lights, even whole museums of items.

Anyway I just thought I'd throw that out there because imo we are not like any other game out there. The devs continue to try to improve optimisation's for low end computers to try to run this game but there is only so much they can do. This game is continuously being added too, new items,recpes, armors, scenes, and dungeons.

I'm not making excuses for it but just explaining a bit why it can't be compared with every other game. 8 ram is not much anymore but I understand not everyone can upgrade at a whim. I upgraded though pretty recently. I remember having to upgrade when Tera came out too. Best wishes. I hope someone will have ideas for you. I'm Majoria if I can help.

11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

That's rather misleading. It's a static pre-drawn map with significantly lower resolution imaging than actual scenes. Additionally scenes have things like resources and NPCs that are both wandering and engaging in combat. The closest the world map has to that is the random encounters on the roadways. I.e., there is a lot more going on in a scene in a world map. Probably the biggest hit to the world map is the fact that it's now (unfortunately) forced multiplayer, but that should be CPU/network code rather than GPU code.

12. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

This is more a factor of unity and its lack of supporting proper threading for many features. In time Unity will support more optimized code which will intern speed things up. Back when I started playing we had 6-12 fps, today same machine 26-40 fps. Most of that happened in the last year with lots of optimizations. Every release they are fixing alot of the heavy scenes with new optimizations. If Unity would just get their act in gear and open up some of the code things could be running silky smooth :)

Jaesun and Mishikal like this.
  13. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

Yea, my computer barely hit the minimum requirements. I was just commenting on the fact the min requirements, and recommended seem awfully high to me.

Mishikal likes this.
  14. Warrior B'Patrick

Warrior B'Patrick Avatar

greetings Mishikal
    Each Scene is a few grids of area with many items to render which is hard on both GPU and CPU. The world map keeps track of all areas of the map so a much larger area and although it does not have deco to render it does have to track each town and its popularity Icon and every player on the overworld with actual representation of their gear, appearance, and position on the map. Also encounters and sieges. Not a small task on the GPU and CPU. The best way to get a good feel for your computers frame rate is to find a ghost POT, no claimed lots or deco, and see what it is there. It would be the smallest area short of a basement with nothing else to load or keep track of.

15. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

The newest version of the Mac mini and it’s integrated intel GPU will run current versions of SotA in ok fashion.

An older MacBook Air would run SotA circa 2016, but that bus has long attempted to jump the shark and just now sets it on fire.

Your mileage may vary. Or grilled shark.

16. golruul

golruul Avatar

Where did you buy a macbook air with a quad core cpu and discrete gpu? My wife does light gaming (and is into macs) and I would like to buy that for her.

17. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Again, it is a static map in fairly low resolution, regardless of it being "larger".

IIRC the PoT population bits are generated periodically rather than instantaneous, and fed from the server to the client. For the activity icon (chimney's lit), that again would be a feed from the server to the client, not the client doing the calculation itself (if it's every single person's client doing this calculation instead of the server setting a bit flag, that is some very poorly written code). True enough about the players + gear etc on the map. Still, I rarely see more than 3-4 people on the map at a time.

Nowhere am I talking about frame rate, but about the actual processing load on the CPU & GPU. The power consumption by SOTA is massive. I'll certainly add an empty basement + an empty PoT to the places to test though. :)

18. Uhtred Bebbanburg

Uhtred Bebbanburg Avatar

I bought my Mac Book Air back in the Summer of 2016 from Best Buy. At the time it was $1,100. I am able to play games like League of Legends, Rimworld, etc pretty well. SotA is just a little bit too much for this thing. I bet if I got a newer one it would run SotA much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.