1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept Art: Imps

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qball

Qball Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

DF
    First off I spelled it wrong Prey :) LOL

Secondly: Familiars are creatures bond to another whether it be magical or whatever, against their will. Since I was making these Imps as Familiars (not saying that is the only way they will appear), and not as the free range flocks of them we've only heard of in dreams, I want to make them darker, evil ones, and be more of the paranoid, skulking in the shadows types.

Lets go with you example that they were underlings for demons. Why do demons have minions? Surely not to do things they can't, that would be dangerous. Demons are awful tormentors of free will, and that would suck. They would have them around to do the crap work and to beat or outright kill when in the mood. This would make the imps paranoid, probably to the point of of being psychotic. I would think, they'd be become masterful at hiding in plain sight, if only to not be picked by the demon for the torture dujour. They would also probably live their lives looking for a way out, any opening to get free. These things would crawl through an eternity of vile stuff just to not be around the demon.

The problem is most of the poor little guys probably wouldn't live too long if they did escape. They would have not idea how to deal with freedom, maybe engorge themselves, try to pet a bear, or get run over by a wagon . The few who did escape and did survive would be the most bitter spiteful little beasts alive, and worst of all very smart. SOO going forward with this theory, imagine now if some how they were recaptured by something and sold to a new master. Now they were once again compelled to serve another. I doubt these masters would be anywhere as diabolical as a demon. So the imps would possibly see them as weak. Weak enough to kill, mutilate and torture if they got the chance.

So people who have an imp as a familiar have may likely have a intelligent, crazy, paranoid, and vengeful creature. Oh sure they may hate the owner, but at least they are beholden for now. :)

..So anyway, that's my thoughts about imps, but honestly I wanted to make their large eyes creepy, that is the reason I did the goat eyes.

Emps are another story...

Geoff

Mishri, rild, Umbrae and 7 others like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I so want an Imp familiar now!

@Geoff

Very cool! That makes a great deal more sense to me. Although I'm still trying to balance out the intelligent imps from the stupid ones that try to pet bears. Seems like there's a wide range of intelligence there. ;)

I especially like the idea of Imps being able to hide in plain sight! (I hope that makes it into the game) It would also be grand if there were ways to see these little beasties if you had certain skills or spells.

I'm kind of expecting to see something a little like this (minus the wings on his butt, what are those?):
    [​IMG]

I think this is actually a picture of a Homunculus, but the mean sneering facial features seem to imply a type of devious intelligence.

rild likes this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think of 'electromagnetic pulse'

4. Heidi Heiland

Heidi Heiland Avatar

WHAT ARE THOSE!!!??? Man something flying at me with wings on its arse would scare me to death...

Bowen Bloodgood and rild like this.
  5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

No mistakes allowed, haven't you heard?

No, in all seriousness... I could like them being a bit more "non human" but in the world of balance might I say... why not both? Why can't we see some areas of the world use the more human version and other areas use the less human version? Adding and not replacing = more content and diversity. Just a thought... maybe it's wrong?

6. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Ah! You didn't correct it in your post either! What is the world coming to? hehehe :eek::confused::rolleyes::p:D

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think it would be cool if imps could all have slight physical differences, like different types of horns -- curved, spiral, curled, wavy, straight -- pointing in different directions -- back, outward, forward, straight -- of different lengths, with different patterns on them, have different skin color, different amounts of fur, different tails, different tail lengths, etc... not relating to combat strength, but just their personality, in the same sense that you have a variety of breeds of cats and dogs, and their physical nature often reflects their personality.

Speaking of simian imps, this is the "Lincoln imp" at the cathedral in the city of Lincoln, England,

[​IMG]

rild likes this.
  8. Qball

Ok All here is the Approved Concept for the imp. I will send in progress shots of the model as I can.

[​IMG]
    I'm going to see if I can find time to paint the background for him soon. (oh, and add some drool)

Qball

9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Ah... He's so cute!

I just want to hug him, and kiss him, and teach him to scratch out the eyes of mine enemies. :)

Maka, rild, Hazard and 2 others like this.
  10. Qball

redfish: I would love to make tons of variation of this guy but unfortunately we don't have the team big enough to do it. I am going to vary little things: colors, fur patterns, jewelry, and possibly add horns, but that is it for this guy.

Qball

11. Drocis the Devious

How big is that guy compared to a player character? I kind of like the idea of having that thing be about 5 inches tall.

I really like the hands and feet. I'm not so excited about the fur, but I think if it were black or dark blue I'd be fine (the red feels almost plush).

Very cool though, that guy looks like he can really move. The wings are great! I especially like the runes, nice touch!

I wonder if there's a tie in to the Oracle. I immediately got the feeling that this imp was somehow related to the flying and walking eyes we saw last month. Maybe this wasn't intended. It's cool either way.

12. Sir Korvash

Sir Korvash Avatar

wow, really like the imp! Can't wait to see the model!

I retract my previous reference to 'It's so fluffy' regarding the Emp.

13. Bekk

Bekk Avatar

I would guess between 12 to 14 inches tall judging by the sword next to it on the table. Imp is spectacular.

14. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, I just noticed that. That's going to look amazing in game. I want one!

rild likes this.
  15. Bekk

Bekk Avatar

That would make a cool pet, may have to try that nifty taming horn on one.

16. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Cant wait to obliterate 3 of them in one swing.

rild and Margard like this.
  17. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Looks great! I can't wait to see any potential fur/color variations, horn(s) and a taming collar! ;)

For some odd reason I keep picturing Zuul. Maybe its just the position of the beastie:
    [​IMG]

Heidi de KGB likes this.
  18. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

A fuzzy imp!
    For some reason the eyes do not look natural to me.
    Like the accessories, especially on the wing tips.

19. rild

rild Avatar

I like the big glassy eyes, it implies a little nervousness and weakness, and the teeth indicate a ruthlessness - this guy looks like a classic opportunist. He'll scrape and kowtow to his master, frequently a larger, cruel, bullying creature. Given the chance, he'll bite your fingers off for the jewels and ride off with a bigger, meaner boss.

The lemur/marmoset styling is great! The jewelry and piercings add a human quality, and it seems much more original than the classic demonic look. Also, the arcane markings on his wings are a really nice touch and indicate some magical or infernal creation.

So, are they separate creatures, or does one turn into the other depending on how you treat it? Can't wait to see the owl-eyed Emp(ath?)!

20. Heidi Heiland

Heidi Heiland Avatar

Jewelry idea instead of the snake wrap on the forearm try a cuff just above the elbow.

[​IMG]

Also an idea for why a mob would be wearing jewelry, chains, bracer etc.

Is this viewed as an enslaved mob? Then you would want to see something more bondage style not so decorative.

Is it trained for defense? Then elaborate on its aggressive features like the tail hook, long claws, spikes, horns etc.

Is it more of a minion (less of a greater creature) Then what elements would translate between them.

Just some thoughts.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.