Consensual pvp???? Stay a While and Listen Why this is no fun.....

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by gonzo9002, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

Well my 2c on the FULL LOOT is yea they'll have it, but the way Port is making PvP work is that best way to win is to dress light at the most [leather] maybe chain which I doubt...
    So no one is going to go out to do PvP in their best GOLD Color custom made plate and highly jeweled weapon. you just not going to see it... so when you PvP Full Loot your just gonna get a bag of [Reagents,] some food and water, you know staples.. if the Avatar is out Harvesting then likely he will have the tools that can't be looted as well. So Full Loot or not i'm not seeing really what good its going to do a lot of PKers

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So the question is, is it really worth it at all? You won't be getting much in the way of loot and it encourages players to not wear anything decent. I guess if you wanted to fully loot a crafter that is toggled pvp for their wood or iron that might be worth it...I guess.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  3. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

@Isaiah that is a factual statement, and @ Lord Trady isnt that one of the goals for some people to get the best item? But like @Isaiah said you might be under pressure to loot.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  4. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

yea raw materials perhaps some of the rare ones that are found only in PvP areas.
    If the Avatar is lucky enough to harvest some, like what Walnut wood. Maybe some Silver ore maybe even some gold...
    How likely will it be, no one knows what risk out weighs the benefits yet hehehehahahalololol

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

I addressed that point here. Rather than repeat the argument, see if that answers your objection.

6. Lord Lonn

Lord Lonn Avatar

I think PvP should be just that A Manly Thing!!! Arena style
    Theres not going to be much payoff for PK prob less than PVE and I think it's just going that way. Avatars don't want to pay for a $$$ Ka ching game where they can't reap the rewards then have them stolen... They will bank them
    With the Arena style they can introduce creatures to battle the best of the best for rewards, noblemen, fame and all that
    fall de rall

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

It is worth it tactically, in that it removes you from the field until you reequip. It is worth it strategically in that if you run out of spares or gold, you have to risk the good stuff or quit fighting for a period of time. Full Loot adds the element of logistics to PvP, making the problem more complex, if you like that sort of thing, which I do.

8. Undelivered

Undelivered Avatar

As bad as this sounds..... I liked Runescapes wilderness, I had a lot of fun and a lot of well now I got to start over moments.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Those 10k people will not all be logged on at the same time. So say we do get 500k people and 10% are pvp tjat is 50k people... larger than an old UO shard. However, not all 50k will be logged on at the same time. What if only 5% of that population is on at any given time. 1000 people that would be good world wide. However if we split that again like you said say only a1/3 of the PvP people flag full loot. Then thats 300 people in tje world... then when people get tired of only seeing 300 people they will switch to regular pvp and the full loot people will live in a ghost town world.

There should be only one group of PvP flagged people.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

Well, I don't think the open loot population will be distributed evenly across the world. If you are flagged for Open PvP Full Loot, it won't be because you are trying to avoid a fight. Pvpers will gravitate to where they know they can find a fight. In UO, one such places was the cross roads west of Britain. In R8, it was the island.

Our group didn't spend much time on the open PvP areas on the roads.

Why?

Not many fights to be had there.

We spent a lot of time on the island on the beaches, the bridge, the keep, and the mountain passes.

Why?

That's where the fights were.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. Sweetmcpwnsauce

Sweetmcpwnsauce Avatar

Um, I get your point and I do get that full loot will be mostly skilled PvPers and that they will generally all be in one location, but what happens when both PvP hexes drop the rare loot that is only available in PvP? I hadn't played cause I don't have the money or reliable internet access, but I'm sure they haven't revealed the entire world map. So if 80% of PvPers are in standard PvP hexes and the other 20% in full loot hexes. Well if I got a crafter and full loot PvPers are all in one general location I'm going to go as far away from that location and easily farm rare materials so I can easily become a monopoly and have the best armor and weapons and easily replace them since I can farm a deserted zone that's in either the standard or full loot PvP hexes. FYI - I'm not personally going after you because I would love full loot PvP to, but thier are seemingly, to me, way too many negative things for creating 2 separate choices for a same zone means more open and deserted areas than anything, IMO. <];D

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

All the PvPers won't be in one hex, any more than all the PK's in UO were only at the crossroads. SotA will develop its own concentration areas, depending on geography, resources, and town locations. I think that the example you use of 1000 participants is far too low, but even 1000 would probably feel busy concentrated in specific areas. I never saw more than about 20 at a time in R8, and things frequently got hectic in R8.

Regardless, before release, there will be ample opportunity to test things, which should give Portalarium and players a very good idea of what to expect upon release. We won't have to guess.

Logain and Sweetmcpwnsauce like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think if we can get 1000 PvP people logged in at the same time we will have a lot of PvP. I still think we should have a mix of players in towns, but outside of town I think segregating PvP and non PvP players is reasonable.

Owain likes this.
  14. kronides

kronides Avatar

If they have 1000 PvP people logged in at the same time, the game is a grand-slam homerun beyond any rational person's wildest expectations.

The most fully crowded WoW servers feature 4k-10k max-level players (all players, not only PvP players) , not all logged in at the same time, by way of comparison.

15. eltoddo

eltoddo Avatar

I agree with Gonzo on open PVP. I miss the rush that came from PVP in the early days of Ultima Online. The risk/reward of a PK committing a crime or an adventurer going out of guard zone makes for most interesting player interactions.

Other MMO's like World of Warcraft might as well be offline games. Just dull grind fests with player versus NPC combat. Even the world PVP is not exciting because there is NO risk/reward. I was hoping Shroud of the Avatar could be different.

I have played some player-run UO servers over the years that's closest that I have come to those magic early years of UO. The open PVP, housing, collectable items, looting.... all this increases player interaction and makes for an amazing, scarey, sometimes frustrating, but very ALIVE online world. I donated money to Shroud because I remember the greatness of early Ultima Online... I hope Richard Garriot can capture some of that here with SotA!

jondavis likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

that's why it is good we have only one game server. There will be no shards. So all people will be in the same world. If it was possible for WoW to do that they would have had 100s of thousands of players on at the same time.

The ability for our computers to act as a host will be useful.

kronides likes this.
  17. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

in my opinion pvp need to make sense

in mortal pve hotspots were the pvp hotspots aswell because of the players loot

in my opinion pvp should be for terretory

for excemple ore and woodcuttter camps , if they are guarded by a faction or guild the chests will spawn wood and ore
    so the attackers know there will be something to loot and will atatck for sure and the defenders have a reason to guard it , to get the materials and because they are sure someone want to always take those places over.

pvp for no reason just in the woods is boring !!!!!!!

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

Refer to this post. Concentrations will result from a variety of factors, not just PvP for the sake of PvP.

19. keanmegahangtr

keanmegahangtr Avatar

Referring to the OP....I agree with you about the allure of full-loot PvP games...its exhilarating and you get a very genuine rush from the excitement involved in potentially losing your loot.THAT is what originally attracted me to online games,and the reason I chose to continue searching for a game that couple replicate it.I still have an active sub in Darkfall,but as you said it was a great concept with a poor execution and my love for that game has begun to wane. I digress in saying that the reality of online games,and what has likely made them so popular/profitable is that the MAJORITY (the masses are always an issue aren't they ;-)*joke* ) are pixel obsessed and can't handle the thought of losing something they have put effort into...for them its about the instant gratification of gaining a shiny through the sacrifice of their commitment and time and showing it off to the world.I feel games are too easy and too rewarding,whereas for earlier generations there was a higher degree of penalty/difficulty,even if it was just because of the game genre being in a bit more of its infancy. The former mentioned point regarding player wants is okay,and is also the predominant attitude,but not why I wish to play online games.There has been and always will be gamers who like the uphill battle and the high level of risk vs reward....but I think its safe to say we are attracted to an element of games that is just not shared by most. I am not too excited about the direction of this game,but I will be giving it an honest chance through its full release.It won't be UO but it could very well turn into something that has a good level of entertainment value aside from collecting and displaying lewts.

20. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

People can already 'flag' themselves to be non-pvp...it's called Single Player or Friends Only ONLINE.

If you have Full Loot unlimited PvP, then you wont see anyone in the world except other pvp'rs. Everyone else will be playing their own game with their friends.

So you might as well put PvPing in its own arena. Or else it will be a pretty lonely world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.