Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Corpse explosion leaves corpses?

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Poison Ivy, Dec 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

I kinda do and don't want this "fixed."

They went to a lot of effort to fix immersion regarding potions. Now when you consume one, you throw it on the ground and destroy the bottle. This answers the question of why you have no empty bottles in your inventory.

So with this kind of "immersion logic" in play, please explain to me after I use Corpse Explosion on a wolf three times I can still skin it, and get hides and a carcass and suet? I just spent the last few minutes making it rain wolf guts in a ten foot radius. The corpse should just disappear because there's nothing left to skin. It's a fine pink mist now. Or perhaps just reduced quality harvests or something. I don't know. It just seems strange to me to worry about potion bottles, of all things, and profess that kind of "logic" and then not do something about Corpse Explosion.

Personally, I'd prefer they did nothing at all - but if they're going to go to the trouble with potion bottles, what gives with Corpse Explosion?

2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

tell me how Soothing Rain and Ignite Weapon or Immolation or whatever RoF together work?
    tell me why Arrows cannot be poisoned (i dont use Archery)?
    tell me how Meteor Showers can appear underground?
    tell me how can swim in cloth.. eh wait a full set of Heavy Armor
    tell me how i can change my whole equipment in 3 seconds via quickswitch deck
    tell me how can i injure a ghost with bleeding and poison or an Elemental

the list goes on - some moth ago when i recognized how OP corpse Explosion was and others used it, i dont have it, i asked the same question.
    You wont get an answer other than MAGIC! whuuuhuuuhuuuuuu :rolleyes:

3. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

Magic defies the assumptions of the non-magical world.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

And I am still amazed that Immolation and Ring of Fire don't destroy those cotton bushes that I was harvesting before I got interrupted by a wolf.

Why is it they always time their aggro to interrupt you right before you finish a harvest? And if they arrive a bit late, it's always when you got a meticulous!

Hornpipe likes this.
  5. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Well, you could argue that the "explosion" is of magical energy originating from the corpses, and not the corpse itself exploding. If it were truly the corpse itself exploding, then the damage would be physical, and harm undead. Which also explains why it could happen three times and leave a corpse to harvest/loot. Of course, the animation clearly shows bits of gore and bone flying everywhere, which supports the notion of it being a physical explosion.

The potion bottles is pretty recent, and was just a cool retroactive explanation somebody mentioned on the forums. The devs liked it, and implemented it for fun.

CrandalltheFoole and Mac2 like this.
  6. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

It used to be a lot worse and this topics was a massive issue for quite a long time which Chris actually did his best to balance how it is now. Its was so bad at one point that people could cheat with it, kill 8 mobs and let all the corpses just sit there while they chain corpse exploded stuff to death (unlimited number of times casting on the corpses, I think it was changed to 3 now?). Took them far to long to fix it and is one method a small number of people used to dramatically level fast back after persistence.

Its relatively balanced and fixed now.

7. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Also, things would get very messy.

I think this is probably the definitive documentary on the subject:

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  8. redfish

redfish Avatar

:\ I haven't seen Corpse Explosion in action, so I don't know how it works; though some of that should be fixed, some of it shouldn't be...

Fire magic should definitely be weakened by water - whether Soothing Rain or natural weather effects, or jumping in a lake. The devs have already said that weather will have an effect on magic, so I hope to see if. Usually this will mean weakened effects or shortened duration. I'm not sure it should neccessarily put magic fire out, because magical fire doesn't have a dry source that's burning; water doesn't put out all fire - in fact, it helps spread grease fires. I'm actually wondering why a sword on fire with Ignite Weapon leaves a trail of smoke... since smoke is usually a product of something burning... a source being exhausted and turned to ash... and nothing's burning in this case.

Meteor shower definitely should be affected not just by the presence of the moon in the sky, but also by astrology and celestial events... It'll make it more fun to use.

I remember very early on in development DarkStarr talking about armor maybe affecting swimming... but I don't see it making much sense to implementing that until we get some sort of "Swimming" skill. You know, after all, Dash and Sprint shouldn't by any right make you swim faster... we'd need a Water magic skill for that. But then we also need underwater swimming, and diving, and everything else that would be affected by a Swimming skill... Ep 2.

Of course, I'm sure some players might not want that because of conveniences lost, but screw them, because it would be cool! ;)

If Corpse Explosion should logically get rid of corpses, devs should also do it, though I don't know if it's really physical, or just a death energy thing, since I haven't seen it in action...

Stundorn likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Of course, if you're on fire and jump into a lake, it should put the fire out. That's the kind of thing I mention in this thread.

Stuff like rain should drastically reduce duration of fire effects IMO. Though as I said I think it would feel comfortable if the magic flame on an ignited weapon were more resilient, since you have an ongoing magical source of the fire keeping it burning. Yet, by the same token, when you'd hit someone with an ignited sword, the fire on the target you hit would be extinguished quicker, making your Ignite Weapon less potent by logical course.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Avatar

But on the other hand, you can argue that magic fire is magic, so forget ordinary rain... Of course that logic doesn't appear to hold in terms of actual magical damage somehow, but then again, this game REALLY hates caster classes.

Back to Corpse Explosion, though - even the actual graphic animation that they use for corpse explosion makes it look like it's spraying giblets from the inside out. And if it's just "magical energy" exploding from the corpse, you'd figure it would work fine on undead - they're corpses. Heck, it should work better, like if you used gunpowder instead of sulfurous ash when casting fire spells - what a humongous BOOM! So, I still think it's weird that the spell leaves a skinnable animal. Perhaps the weirdness will remain just with me.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Devs have already said though that elemental magic will be affected by weather, same way Sun and Moon are affected by the two celestial bodies. The magic is tied to elemental schools because it calls forth real elements.

Yea, tecnically fire and other forms of attack "should" destroy hides on animals, too.

12. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

I don't think fire magic should make nearby things combust or anything like that. There is such a thing as too much realism.

Corpse Explosion is a weird outlier of a spell in the game though; it seems like a very situational spell to use and there's not really much gain you get from it as far as I know (don't quote me, I might be wrong - but the tooltip doesn't indicate any differently either). The only time I've really used it is to get it to 40 as a pre-requisite for the next tier and never use it again.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Why? Using fire magic to set bushes on fire would be cool for a lot of reasons, including setting up traps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.