Cost

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Nytetears, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

The last payment is due in Oct. But I think Aug is the cut off time to sign up.

2. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

April is what I heard for pledge upgrades.

3. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

Yes, i could be mistaken.

but i did know it was a month that started with an "A" :cool:

4. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

August, April, big difference :p . Anyway, I just wish I had gotten into SotA earlier so that I could go up to Knight level without much cost per month...hmmmm

5. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I can only comment on one item here. I have limited experience in UO; I am trying to train up a blacksmith as a secondary character. Developing the mining skill; every now and then I wear out a pickaxe and have to use a new one. So when I go back to town and sell my crafted weapons/shields etc I buy a few pickaxes.

Trust me, the cost is trivial compared to what I make from my crafting. If I had an indestructible pickaxe it would be nice, but it would make little difference in the whole scheme of things.

I think the potential benefits of the Prosperity items are overblown. Nice to have, but not at all necessary. Again, a "reward" for those who feel disposed to provide monetary support for the game's development and success.

The other points raised I can't comment on; no-one knows answers to these. I trust that Portalarium can handle these and other issues, and to speculate negatively is only potentially harmful.

Grayhawk, aevans, Kuno Brauer and 2 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's a perfectly understandable opinion to have.

So is that.

That is not.

It's not greedy to provide a product at a high price that people are willing to spend on an item that people don't need. Greedy, would be if you were a Heating Oil company, and 75% of the country you sold your product in used heating oil, and you had a virtual monopoly on the sale and distribution of said product, and so you sold your product at inflated rates even though by doing so it literally killed people because they couldn't stay warm during the winter months and they froze to death.

This is the reason that most countries have regulations that help prevent monopolies and control the costs and distribution of products that people NEED to survive. Virtual vanity doll houses do not fall under this category and therefore are not considered to be an item where the makers are being "greedy" so much as they're being smart.

Here's a question for you, what's the difference between the housing in Animal Crossing and SotA? In simple terms, it's the cost. If you play Animal Crossing (or games like it), everyone gets a home, decorations, and whatever the game has to offer for the low cost of $35-45. But housing and decorations are not rare, there's nothing "special" about your house versus someone elses house. It's a generic world with generic goals and generic accomplishments. In short, it's not a game anyone would pay $200 to $1050 for.

SotA is different than that - it's dynamic, the items are more rare, and this allows for gameplay you can't find in Animal Crossing (or many other games for that matter).

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

This is a good example of how free markets work. There are people in this free market willing to pay that much and more for this virtual property, so the developers have wisely chosen to sell them at that price in order to fund game development. You are the person being greedy for demanding that they sell you the same thing for below market value. Why do you think you deserve such a thing?

8. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

The items are availible for ingame gold, and is not Unique to the add-on store ( Talking about house losts ) . You can pay to have it from day one, there is no problem with this, at all.

9. Drocis the Devious

Not the indestructible part. For example: "While axes with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game this particular axe never needs repair."

10. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Read my entire post, i was talking about house lots.

The tools can be purchased ingame aswell, but they are not indestructable, sure.
    But as a crafter in every game where crafting is possible, i can only agree with whats been said before, that the 'cost' of making or repairing tools is really really small, and when it comes to having indestructable tools its only gonna be 'handy' and convenient, nothing more.

11. Drocis the Devious

I did read your entire post and you had a comma separating your thought...this made me think that your thought was about two things and not one. This is where I could get snarky and say "read your own post" but instead I'll just say that we both failed to communicate properly. ;)

If you've never played Darkfall Online, then I can see how you might have this assumption. However, I believe that you are mistaken in assuming that it will 1) not cost that much and 2) be handy and nothing more. In DFO the crafting system was "similar" to what is expected in SotA (although surly it will have nuanced differences).

DFO had limited resource nodes that would "respawn" every hour. So you could show up at an Iron Ore node that was tapped out. You'd go to another one and it would also be tapped out. You'd hunt and hunt for a full one and finally get to it, mine for 15 minutes and then go find another one, mine for another 15 minutes, and POOF your pick axe would break. Now you either need a new pickaxe in your backpack or you need to run back to a shop and buy one. When you returned to the same node it would likely be tapped out by another player.

Sometimes, you'd have established that you were in control of mining a resource node and another player would just mine right next to you on the same node. So the node would drain faster than normal, you'd get less ore, and then you'd have to hurry up and find another node that wasn't tapped out before the other player did just so you could be marginally more efficient at them getting whatever resources were left.

In this situation, an indestructible gathering tool would've been a dominant method of harvesting resources. When you add in the fact that you're getting a bonus (even if it's fractional) to speed and efficiency, now you're talking about this being the BEST way to do something.

I'm happy that they're selling items like this in the store, I'm just trying to correct people who are saying that it's not that big a deal. It's a big deal, that's why I'm buying them.

Mordecai likes this.
  12. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

A few thoughts:
    • Housing is touted as arguably the biggest part of SotA (go log out on the main website if you disagree)
    • Official sources estimate that only a small minority of players will own housing
    • Player funding is only a small part of SotA's total funding.
    • One way to make more money would be to seek out more investors or to make additional partnerships, like the one with Zynga our Mod Ultima Codex has discussed.
    • Limited Meaningful Housing > Pointless Instanced Housing (imo).

13. Maka

Maka Avatar

April is only the cut off to reserve the price. The payment plans themselves go until October. Confirmed with an email to Fire Lotus.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. Kultan

Kultan Avatar

UO and several other RPG's are also similar to the few details we've received so far on resource gathering. It may have been highly competitive in DFO, but I had a very different experience with mining in UO. I found an out of the way area where I could mine for hours with no one else around. But I'm not going to apply that experience to SotA since we have no idea what the resource gathering experience will be like yet.

Personally, I think it's a little premature to say how big or small a convenience these tools will be until they've been tested (by us preferably), tweaked, and then finalized for launch. They may offer a huge advantage over regular tools, or they may just be a minor convenience keeping you from having to keep extra picks in your inventory. It says in the Prosperity tool descriptions that standard tools with the same speed/quality/efficiency bonuses can be crafted in game. Players with high enough crafting skill may even be able to craft tools with bonuses that exceed the Prosperity ones, but still break over time.

15. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

That is the way I read it. I believe that the only major perk for the prosperity tools will be that they never break. I asked DarkStarr a question similar to this on chat, that is to the effectiveness of the Prosperity Tools. Here it is what was said.

<+Sir_Kiron> DarkStarr, I was wondering if you would be able to compare the Smithing Hammer of Prosperity to the Expert Crafting station that is a reward at the Knight Tier. Of the 2, which would be the limiting factor?

<~DarkStarr> Kiron: Those two are at approximately equal levels but the crafting station itself + your skill are the biggest limiting factors.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I believed that there was still another level higher then Expert with stations. If that is the case that would mean that there would be another level of tools above the Prosperity set.

On another note, DarkStarr's reply makes it sound that the actual tool will have the least amount of input on crafting compared to other factors.

16. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

She's not wrong at all about the prices being to high.

I don't think telling someone to sacrifice things is the correct response to it. Because some of you find the prices agreeable doesn't make it ok for everyone else, sure there will be lots in game but will they be available after the first month for those of us who can't play 24/7?

Some of you may need to look at how you react to people stating their opinions on this issue. It doesn't have the intended results you want, at least I hope that isn't the intended results.

"You are the person being greedy for demanding that they sell you the same thing for below market value. Why do you think you deserve such a thing" - @owain

Nice, why don't we just tell them to get lost. Where do people come up with these ideas that there is a have and have not mentality in the game.

17. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

But you can't know that, since we don't know for sure how the gathering/crafting system will work out.
    So you make assumptions, just as i do .. ;)

Oh, and ofcourse im happy they sell them, thats why i buy them all. :)

18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

If the items sell, how can the price be too high?

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  19. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

What one person deems to high doesn't mean that is what other people think. Everyone has their own perspective.

Drocis Fondorlatos likes this.
  20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's silly logic. Just because something sells doesn't make it the right price...it is the right price to the hardcore players(which I guess many of us are not, so we should be quiet now.) The problem with the price is it will effect the game later in development when they decide how much it will cost in game.

How do you translate 1000 real dollars to time to earn in game? Hell how do you do 200 to in game money....it looks as if the average(us non hardcore players....the NHP:)) will never earn enough or even have the option since the HP(hardcore players) will most likely buy up all the lots. I'm not sure why anyone would think that's a bad thing.

Mozzarella, Caliya and Nytetears like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.