Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting - 1 step forward -2 steps back

Discussion in 'Release 69 Feedback Forum' started by Elrond, Aug 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Durabilty Costs

The amount of low durability gear im getting from crafting is just staggering , from pants with 20 int and 22 durability to boots with 10 int and 36 durability .... with the new durability costs you made all nonexceptional gear trash ...last release i could craft decent nonexceptionals and sell them ...now its so bad not even worth touching ...that means 78% of all items we craft are a loss ...we're back to the old days ? .... when only exceptionals were viable for crafting and the price for decent gear was huge ?

Im sure on paper the durability costs looked viable but when you start taking into account the failures at 95% ,the failures at 88%, the failures at 50% ,what we are left with is a piece of gear with 25 durability that we're suppose to wear/sell . Not good at all .

Crafting rings

The legendary crafting ring are so legendary ...when wearing them the success chance for enchants is THE SAME as the uncommon ones last release 50%/16% . Not good at all...all the combat artifacts got such amazing stat boosts worthy of their legendary name ... crafting rings not so much. WHY ?

The Beetles

Beetles requirements for everything we craft in the game is getting very annoying . If you craft chain boots you need straps made of beetles, if you craft chain legs you need beetle straps, if you craft chain gloves you need beetle straps, if you craft chain chest for magic you need beetle straps , if you craft wands or staff you need beetles straps ,all carapacian gear needs beetles, all hardened leather gear needs beetles , if you craft plate with weap dmg you need beetles straps . You made all other straps suck so badly that only viable gear has to have beetle straps ( leather /cotton) . On top of all that you nerfed straps from beetles instead of getting 2 straps we only get one .

DO WE REALLY NEED TO BUILD AN ENTIRE CRAFTING SYSTEM AROUND BEETLES ???

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  2. Sole

Sole Avatar

It does work, raised my success chance from 51% to 52%.

- Sole

Ravenscar likes this.
  3. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

Mine got raised from 50% to 50% ... but yeah i guess it adds some o, something .... worthy of a legendary name.:(

4. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

overall, I think it's safe to say that R69 has been a legendary release.

5. Lace

Lace Avatar

+1

The rings are NOT LEGENDARY they are crapola considering how many it requires to make.

Wood requirements are out of hand with so small a player base.

As for beetles almost 2 years ago I brought this up and several offered suggestions.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...rity-between-suet-and-beetle-carapace.105475/

Mishikal likes this.
  6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I kinda had that 1 step forward 2 steps back feeling, too.
    In agreement about general issues.
    I get that durability use <----> item power, but either base values need to be adjusted, exceptional chances need to be drastically increased (like, a grandmaster should be making exceptional gear more often than not), failures need to take off less, or higher level crafters should use less durability in application. Something has to give here. The fundamental thing wrong with the crafting system is the sheer amount of waste and while the rerolls helped mitigate this somewhat, the addition of a new tier of effects has basically put us back to square 1.
    We either need to : stop creating so much trash gear -or- there needs to be something to do with it, since players aren't going to buy it and salvage return is an insult.

In fact, salvage might be the answer here, if we could get back most of what we put in, we could simply recycle.
    If it takes 10 bolts to make a chestpiece, and you salvaged it and got 8-9, then the lack of exceptional would be less horrifying than it is now. Would also make all that worthless gear we get in the loot table actually worth something now.
    For me personally, I'd prefer that someone who has grandmastered a skill ten times over should always be making an exceptional, since that's more logical, but this problem can be approached from either side.

The Beetle Carapace Paradox has been an issue since before persistence, by making it the only real option for caster gear (since the alternative is just more focus, not necessary for most builds...), and the most desireable option for weapon damage gear or at least straps by everyone else, while simultaneously being the most scarce/hard to get of all the T2 components, is I think, shortsighted design.

Adding beetles onto chopped trees or occasionally finding them crawling on skinned monsters, plants would help mitigate this a bit without flooding the market.
    Adding a small chance to get a beetle in grown cotton would be another way.
    Or upping the number of beetles you get per harvest, even.
    Adding them to the loot table on critters even - hell, put them in low tier scenes to give us some reason to bother going there.
    An even better way would be to perhaps utilize some of the resources that have no / little purpose (such as black cutworms, aortic thrombus, tree borers, quartz, tungsten) to come up with another option for each armor type. For example, there's light and heavy armor that add weapon damage, but none that add spelldamage. That'd be a good place to start.

7. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

As far as two handers go, I made a +20 Air bow with 190 durability. I couldn't be happier!

8. Fenrus MacRath

Fenrus MacRath Avatar

9. that_shawn_guy

they could address the beetle problem by adding the same chance to getting them in agriculture cotton plants

10. Charon

Charon Avatar

I'm not anywhere close to most of you in crafting and I don't craft to sell so my sample sizes are likely orders of magnitude lower than most who have posted on this thread but I do agree with most that has been said here.

I hoarded my crafting xp so that I could gm alchemy and masterwork mastery like I suspect most people did. In the process of doing that I enchanted and master worked a pile of non-exceptional gear. Three things became clear very quickly.

1. Given a large enough pool of items I COULD eventually get what I wanted on an item which is a clear improvement as the old system always felt like a rigged slot machine.
    2. Once past the skilling up stage, don't bother with anything that isn't exceptional. You may end up with something with the exacts stats/effects you were shooting for but durability will be so low that the item will be borderline unusable. This is less of an issue for me but I can see where it could be huge for someone who's primary interest in crafting is selling the items they produce.
    3. With exceptional rates as they are expect a TON of waste given point 2.

Of the suggestions I've read here I think an increase in the likelihood of an exceptional base item and a change to the salvaging system would work best all around. Frankly, it's always seemed odd to me that someone with 120 skill only has a marginally better chance to produce an exceptional than I do at 100 skill. It's also seemed odd that if I use bronze wire, hardened straps, etc and salvage that item I get back nothing but metal scraps. Why can I salvage a dropped bow and get strings or bow staves reasonably regularly but if I salvage a crafted piece of armor or weapon I rarely, if ever, get back anything other than scraps?

11. that_shawn_guy

For context
    [​IMG]

Even at the current price of 1500, 600k gold would buy up all beetles looted in an average day.

Jaesun, Elrond and Mishikal like this.
  12. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

And when they add the masterworks for 2h weapons its gonna be 30 durability ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.