Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Crafting: Why do you bother?

Discussion in 'Release 34 Feedback Forum' started by Duke Death-Knell, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

It's all a matter of perspective... apparently pine logs in New Britannia means something like this:

[​IMG]

2. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

While I don't have "test environment data" I honestly don't think we need it.
    This many people are this frustrated with the waste and breakage in crafting, whether it is "broken" or not I think is the lesser issue; the break rates are far too high.
    If its broken, fix it. If its not broken, they need raising.

Its not just breakage, its rolling crappy mws/enchants when it does succeed that compouds the problem.

Randomness, or breaking, but both is a bit much.

Bluefire, Ice Queen, Gravidy and 3 others like this.
  3. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Not really, theres just under 2 pages of post on this thread and Imo the Rng is working just fine, Ive had bad nights and good nights and Ive not crrafted that many items.
    The numbers complainng could be the small minority who are having bad luck on the Rng , or coud be people remembering the fails, or it could be errors in the maths somewhere so data is needed or its just subjective.

Just Fyi because I think the Rng is working fine doesnt mean I dont agree on most other points about changing fail rates, and much else that needs doing to make sense of the crafting system,
    from the idiotic way that people can make epic armour with minimal skill yet a wolf hat requires high skill ?? really, to the mats needed for some items ie repair kits etc etc. ;)

uhop, Aklys and Leelu like this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah agree with you there, stuff's all over the place, and some of the material costs are just illogical as well.
    There's been a lot of threads about the crafting system and the problems with it - including the RNG - over the past few months, been seeing complaints about it since I came back to the game around R29 so its not a new complaint but seems clearly not a priority.

Xandra7 and Leelu like this.
  5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

OK. So I went mining this afternoon, 4 hours of mining. I had a 70% chance as I'm not primarily a miner. The majority of nodes I failed 2,3 and 4 times. My success rate is suppose to be 70% but my failure rate averaged around 70%.

uhop likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Did you actually collect data to support this or is it just your guesstimate?

uhop and MrBlight like this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

counted nodes and failures

uhop likes this.
  8. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

When I actually stop and count rates for blacksmithing, exceptional and masterwork are generally correct.

A lot of these complaints, not just in this thread, feel like standard human difficulty in intuitively measuring statistics, especially things like the original post that drastically overstate how long it takes to gather materials. There are problems with crafting - a lack of depth to the system, being overly RNG reliant, rates possibly being too low, etc, but sidetracking on something that doesn't seem to be an issue doesn't help.

4EverLost, MrBlight and uhop like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I went to Etceter Crag Mines for a while tonight to mine some gold and iron. I may not have logged all the successful attempts but it's easy to see the unsuccessful ones because they're in your chat window. Anyway, I have a 92% chance, I had at least 80 successful attempts and 7 failures. 80 / 87 ≈ 0.92. It seems to be working just fine.

[edit] BTW, that doesn't include the attempts where I was interrupted by an archer shooting me in the back.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    4EverLost, Lord Ravnos and uhop like this.
  10. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

I don't even really bother going on mining sessions anymore. I just go out and kill a ton of humanoids to farm gold and then buy my materials in bulk when I need them. I a much more efficient killer than what I could gather myself despite all of my mining skills being at level 80.

Also, as I'm sure you noticed, those percent chances they give you are a lie. Especially on you first few times mastercrafting and enchanting until you get them up higher in level. Every single mastercraft I have done (for each armor type and weapon type) have always failed the first few times that you do any mastercrafting or enchanting despite it saying you have an 83% chance to succeed.

11. dreamlarp

dreamlarp Avatar

For all of you who keep saying the % are working and those of us who mine and craft over 8 hours a day have selective memory I gathered in a noob area for a whole day with 100% to gather and counted 3 out of 7 fails was my average. I make more items than most of you in game. I get 2 out of 20 exceptionals per 20. You guys who do not craft as much as we do please stop commenting as if you do. We do know for a fact that they are not working. On top of that if they where even working right they still would be the lowest out of all the games on the market. The dev's are using the gather grind and spawn/breakage rates to slow us down instead of making new content. This was already admitted by them.

Lord Baldrith and uhop like this.
  12. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you're getting fails when it says you have a 100% chance then you should post a bug. Otherwise, I posted actual numbers above. If you all can't be bothered to do the same then you will continue to get accused of seeing only the negative.

Rael, Preachyr, Fister Magee and 2 others like this.
  13. Aklys

Aklys Avatar

While I completely agree that the system is very broken. If you look at the statistical occurrence giving you say 83% on that particular build it's only for that instance most likely and not an overall percentage of failure. 83% success rate on 100 items is not the same as 83% success rate on 1 item unfortunately. But if there is a failure on 100% then that's gotta be a bug.

Of course there potentially is something I haven't read that states it's based on a failure rate based on quantity rather than the act of each instance of creating an item.

Also I'm not saying the system isn't broken just that there might be some misconception around the % of success and what it actually means.

14. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Honestly every rng crafting complaint thread has very little numbers to support it. The harvesting numbers i wont touch to much as ive had numerous fails at 95% but i also only remember fails as it breaks the routine.

My last big batch in carpentry i got 4 / 15 bows being exceptional. And we break a masterwork around 1/5.
    Evrry batch i do isnt always dead on the numbers but between 4 or 5 of us, pooling and crafting, our numbers seem pretty much dead on anytime we do a crafting day. Ill admit theres some bad streaks but i also just had 4/5 bows be exceptional.. so its hard to take any stats without at least 100 samples, seriously.

Im doing a carpentry push in next day or 2. Maybe ill do a solid 100 and screen shot it to have some actual numbers to throw around.

Spoon likes this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Also for mining fail.
    Sometimes there is an actual line of sight bug. Ive hit nodes where i fail 100% of time because of how my character walks up n does the animation. As soon as i jum back and re approach it, it fixes it. ( regardless of what ure % says )
    I think thsi is big reason why these fails seem to be always in a row. If y shuffle around after a fail i bet it would solve your problem.

16. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I'd also like to point out that materials for the cooking craft are ridiculously high which will eventually bankrupt any aspiring chef.

Dwalin Bombardin likes this.
  17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well 8 items failed out of 12. What is my success rate then? Given a per item success rate is suppose to be 83%

18. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Probably 83%. One small sample doesn't mean anything.

Preachyr and Olthadir like this.
  19. Olthadir

Olthadir Avatar

When I play D&D, I never roll a 20 5% of the time, every time.

Random is random.

Rael and Dwalin Bombardin like this.
  20. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

That was the latest batch. I fail much more then I succeed. The excuse "this is a small sample" just doesn't hold water. I should have 1 or 2 failures in every batch of 10.

Kaisa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.