Current Bad Combat Movements

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, Jul 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cramit845

Cramit845 Avatar

I use polearms and have the same issue. Especially if I am running up to my target, when I swing at the target, I just lunge with the swing and find myself humping the mob. Very annoying, especially when sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. Seems no rhyme or reason and can't seem to figure out a specific key combination that would cause it.

Not to mention, being webbed by spiders and not being able to turn in place. Just standing there while they're behind me and I can't just turn around in place so I can face them and attack.

Fister Magee and Time Lord like this.
  2. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Same issue here. Melee with polearms. While trying to back away from mobs I constantly get sucked back forward into the mobs and have no control over the avatar. Only way I have figured out how to get out of this loop is to double tap S and do a a back flip.

So, is this a bug or working as intended? If a bug then perhaps move this thread to bug section.

If not a bug, then they need to re-think this combat "feature" and go back to the way it was before. Same with targeting. Go back to tab targeting and get rid of that damn red cross hair. Quit "fixing things" that ain't broke.

Damodar Demodian and Time Lord like this.
  3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Ok.. I think I figured out what's going on. If your screen is not point directly to the target, the body will try to rotate the camera to the target hence cause the character to move.

I notice that when I'm on auto attack and at the proper rage, my guy wouldn't move forward. He does when my camera is pointing elsewhere.

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  4. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Most has been covered. Let me add that if you use a skill with knock back, you cannot advance on the mob to hit it when it is down. It will recover and zoom right through you and end up behind you. This causes you to knock back the mob, but have to wait for him to recover before making another attack else the lunge forward animation pulls you to his position on the ground right before he snaps back behind you. Instead, you just have to stand there until he snaps back or risk getting hit from behind. This completely negates the advantage of knocking him down in the first place because you can't follow up when he is down and defenseless.

Oyjord Hansen and Time Lord like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

seems like 454 removed ALMOST all of this. i can put up with what's left.

...but i think we should be aiming higher than "can put up with."

edit: i take it back. just lunged entirely through a wolf again, and if i'm attacking a bear patriarch from behind while someone else has aggro, the hit box is in the front but i'm not allowed to get close enough to reach it.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    Time Lord likes this.
  6. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Yeah not only is it disorientating as the camera pans around but it has leapt me off the edge of walls to my death as the target dies and Im thrusting to my doom ;p

I think I can see where its going, making combat a little less static, a couple of times its worked nicely pushing the combat back and forth but mostly its just messy.

If its some new feature It in no way wants to :

a) Leap you to your death when theres no target (or even if there is)
    b) Keep turning the camera, sometimes so much that you have to pan around to be able to hit again.
    c) Insert itself within a mob, its hard to tell whats going on.
    d) Circle around like a madman making it nearly impossible to click target to heal or follow whats happening.

It does want to do the little it does in way of making the combat push back and forth , maybe make you retreat as your taking damage and dps lowers and push forward as your winning and landing blows.
    The turning about could maybe work but only ifits toned down to a tiny amount of what it is and not so extreme changes of direction.

@Berek

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
    Snazz, Albus, Time Lord and 1 other person like this.
  7. agra

agra Avatar

Also discovered this little gem, that is concurrently causing problems with this sucking/sticking/magnetic melee issue...

If you target something specific (like, if you press 'g') so you can see it's health and status effects, AoE fist attacks don't work anymore on adjacent creatures. (no matter how close or far apart they are from the hard target)
    If you remove the specific target, they work, but the arc is so narrow, and creatures arrange themselves 90 degrees apart, so it's virtually impossible to consistently use these attacks properly on multiple targets. Sometimes, temporarily, two or three creatures will be in a narrow enough arc, but then they separate.
    This may also be affecting auto attack/free attack target quantities (as in, restricting two handed weapons to a single target)
    And of course, all made worse by the fact that without a hard target, you can't see their health, unless you turn nameplates on, which causes frame rate loss and hitching. /sigh

In short, this "feature" is completely broken, is breaking other parts of the game and should be reverted or removed. Not cool, Portalarium. Not cool. :(:oops::confused:

Magos, Anvar, Aldo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~The NPC Bad Guys Move Better Than I Do~o_O?'
    I'm so much preying for a miracle to fix our combat system :confused: Surely our Portalarium knows about all this and I do hope their programing knowledge can pull us out the hole we're stuck in.

Maybe our brains somehow became less than the Kobolds. "They seem unaffected by any of this, as their facing body positions and weapon swings seem all to be on target".
    "I currently fight every creature from inside the target" o_O My character seems quite content once his body is inside the body of these other to remain there. In attempts to backup while fighting to avoid this intermixing, my character doesn't want to let go of the target as if he has some sort of fishhook in him attaching him to the target.

How many more out there just like me I don't know, but this deters me from logging into the game for more than 15 minutes at a time, because it's so disappointing with combat being the core of the game which leads the player to all other content. Being lead by an idiot of a character anywhere is very deflating. Our stand off combat seems to be fairing much better yet presenting many of it's following with challenges as well.

~To Our Portalarium~
    Certainly we are within a combat programing glitch crisis and I do hope all the best for our diligent programmers working us out of it :confused:
    But whatever it is, "the monsters seem much more adept in combat and unaffected by whatever this is"... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Acred, Aldo and Albus like this.
  9. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

Frankly guys, you're giving me the creeps ! I'm scared to death now !
    Why ? Because every time our beloved dev's are fixing melee, they ruin ranged attack (and vice-versa)... and I can assure you that the rangers are already suffering a lot !
    Can't move with mouse unless you're in auto-attack (which is often not desirable for a bow user).
    Unwanted pulls that bring you more fun (sometimes the innocent rabbit, but often one more orange skeleton) if you pan a bit too much.
    ... to name the two most annoying issues.
    Of course we also suffer from the incoherent movements toward the foes (hey ! nice idea for a ranged user !) instead of staying were we stand shooting.

Take care,
    K.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

uhm...I like the game as it is...I'm ware of the melee problem...but it makes me more laugh then cringe. Really.

Turn autoattack on with T and I allways throw myself away when my character attacks whatever comes close enough. Even when you run from A to B...rabbit in the way? Zzzong - Dead! Horse in the way? ZZzzzong - dead!

"Uhh..I'm sorry Sir...I didnt want to put my sword in your ribs, I was simply running around with auto attack on"

And the movement...yeah...fighting a wolf or whatever looks more like a couple doing yoga...but thats ok...if taken with a dose of humor.

It reminds me of this scene:

Ordovicia and Time Lord like this.
  11. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well Said...
    I think this all connects to the targeting fix(?) a few releases ago. But I'm no programmer so I truly don't know, but that's when the forums lit up from complaints which haven't subsided.

:D~One Thing I'm Very Interested in Seeing~:oops:
    We have some upcoming PvP tournaments which should be very enlightening to see what some of our top fighters look like when they engage. "Will they be as clumsy and seemingly idiots in combat?" We'll just have to see.
    But personally, I wouldn't miss a chance at seeing such a thing ;) My bet will be that we will see more ranged than melee. But most likely they will both be sort of clumsy looking.

Kliirkast likes this.
  12. Kliirkast

Kliirkast Localization Team

... yup, I fully support the " (?) " in your sentence.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

Yeah noticed this on day 1, not sure if its an intended feature so you can focus kill a specific target, it seemed it took more damage slightly to me, but could easily have been random.
    Imo should be like it was before as you say because I just dont target the mobs anymore so I can hit multiples with my sword.

@Berek

Time Lord and agra like this.
  14. Gix

Gix Avatar

While I don't particularly enjoy the lunging attacks, all you really had to do to make it stop was let go of the WASD keys while attacking...

... of course, if you're in auto-attack, that could cause some problems if you're trying to adjust your position.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I occasionally use s to backpedal a bit. That is the extent of my keyboard movement.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Gix

Gix Avatar

True but, then, you'd have to stop attacking before pressing the "S" key.

Like I said, I'm not a fan, but it works.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

All monsters seem to get inside my character, yet it's the "upright ones" that seem especially disorienting to my character which causes him to swing to the right with his weapon.
    "This lunging thing is extremely irritating as well"

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Wait a Minute! All This Seems to Be Fixed!"
    and I've got some hunting to do ;)!'
    Thanks Portalarium!
    ~Time Lord~:D

19. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

This... also, if I'm just out of range backing up, I'm not interested in lunging back in to that 14 pack of obsidian wolves.

K, thx.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

It's sort of different... sometimes there and sometimes not o_O
    ~TL~o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.