Daily Quests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rook Strife, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

I don't know what Broochash was supposed to be, but there seems to be some misinterpretation of what constitutes a daily quest.

It should look more like this

Pick up Daily Quests from an NPC in Central Brittany Docks
    (1 location, the same NPC every day, not scattered all over the map or hard to find NPCs for now)

1 days quests would look something like this

Daily Quest
    Kill 30 Elves in The Rise
    Reward 5k gold, 200k XP, Random Supply Bundle (yellow to orange)

Kill the Dragon in Southern Grunvald Barrens
    Reward 5k gold 200k XP, Random Supply Bundle (yellow to orange)

Kill 20 Corpions in Southern Grunvald Barrens
    Reward 5k gold 200k XP

Kill 20 Bandits in Tenebris Harbour
    Reward 5k gold 200k XP

Kill 30 Elves in Greymark Forest
    Reward 5k gold, 200k XP, Random Supply Bundle (yellow to orange)

Monthly Reward for completing X number of daily quests during the release
    Something like items you see on telethon, early release hats, whatever

Designed as something different to do every day
    -For solo and groups
    -For decent rewards

Each day the quest locations rotate to cover every zone in the game
    You get variety for players + free bug testing

Group and solo quests are the same rewards not forcing people to group

No fancy crap. It's supposed to be something you can log on for an hour and have some fun and get rewards.

Simple as possible with basic kill X missions until systems for picking up / turning in a quest, quest tracking and other related are proven and bug free.

Fills large gaps in the end game for the present and is super easy to implement

Later on there is a large variety of things you can do with it

Better missions involving gathering / crafting / pvp / etc

Better written quests involving virtue decisions

Tie-ins to an overall story

Neonis, Nelzie, Womby and 20 others like this.
  2. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

^^ that's a basic i am very interested in

Synergy Blaize and Woodchuck like this.
  3. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

I'd love to see daily quests like these.
    I know it's a bigger ask, but I'd have them be of this nature.
    Add an NPC to every adventure zone (this is the big ask), similar to the scout in a siege.
    A few zones already have this (Lady Graffe at the entrance to graffe gem mines, the squires in south drachvald spur, etc...)
    These NPC's have something for you to do every day in their zone (maybe multiple things that they randomly select from)
    Things like "Kill X of these", "Find X of these", "Harvest X of these" etc..
    This way, players could gravitate towards zones that they like, and do the daily thing to do there.

In addition, an NPC who is in a centrally located area (like central brit, but whatever)
    Who has a daily quest of "visit these 5 areas, and help the person in need", this would be to promote visiting zones that are outside of your wheelhouse. Maybe you'll see something new and interesting.

4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

But also there are repeatable quests like the sieges, the monk, the researcher and the headhunter in overworld encounters
    i got all three in one hour-now to get into towns to reclaim my awards...ONWARD

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Nice work. I agree regarding daily quests and their rewards. When fishing gets its update in R58 it would be nice to have fishing merchants in all Npc towns offer daily quests to catch a certain fish or fish per day to help someone or a fish swallowed some ones ring or on special event days a fish swallows a tax-free deed. Darkstarr mentioned at the last telethon they were still going to add an in game achievement system to the game.

By Tor, twofoldsilence and Woodchuck like this.
  6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

Oh oh! What about farming quests? Like grow X number of some crop? (wouldn’t be daily since it takes a while for things to grow, but still would be nice to enhance farming this way)

Or grow a pumpkin that is over 20lbs? (have to change farming implementation so that crops vary in size!)

Nelzie, Feeyo, Synergy Blaize and 5 others like this.
  7. twofoldsilence

twofoldsilence Avatar

I like this idea too, but I think the XP/GP earned shouldn't be as high as Rook Strife suggested.

8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

+1 to everything above. I do agree with twofoldsilence though - the xp is too high for some of those dailies.. but those are all fantastic daily quest ideas!

Nelzie, Almar, Rentier and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

The GP/ XP needs to be reasonably high for a few reasons

1. Needs to be enticing
    Should look at the rewards and think "not bad" instead of "ugh"

2. A lot of zones have low level mobs.
    If you have to walk all the way to Naryad Pinelands to kill some Wolf Spiders it's going to take a fair amount of time and the rewards from the zone itself are not going to be much.
    At least the turn-in will guarantee you get some decent rewards.

Including low level zones as part of dailies is good for variety, bug testing and plus there are probably plenty of zones people have not revisited since like 20 releases ago.
    Also gives people the opportunity to visit Pots / towns in areas that are not usually frequented

3. Daily Quests are designed for seasoned characters.
    Shouldn't feel like you're wasting your time getting crap loot / xp when you could be grinding in your usual spot for much better rewards

4. You can accumulate a fair amount of gold / level your character even if you don't have hours to play each day.

Lots of good idea's for expanding the daily quests later

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  10. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

200k xp just seems a little excessive for all your daily quest suggestions (except for the dragon). When you finish a Path which is supposed to be a big accomplishment, you get 100k. I think 100k for the rest of your dailies would be reasonable.

Nelzie, Paladin Michael and Elwyn like this.
  11. Milca

Milca Avatar

These daily quest ideas sounds very familiar as it reminds me of my time in World of Warcraft, and the daily quest system most of the mainstream games have already adopted. It sounds logical and it’s something we all have seen. I’m not gonna judge if it’s good or bad. I just have 1 concern.

Right now, my game time is very fluid. I can go for a few round of The Rise, Mining, restock my vendor, get the repeatable buff, etc. I get about 30 minutes to 3hours of play per day and I usually only have time to do 1 of the items listed above, occasionally 2. Having a daily quest that’s rewarding and as predictable as the other mainstream games for me wouldn’t mean that it becomes 80% of my game time.

I’m cannot speak for others, but for me, that would make SOTA as boring as those games I’ve quit after grinding the same daily quest for months.

12. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

+1. Keep SOTA unique. There is a need for more quests, but lets see what the Devs have in mind, hopefully it is different and interesting.

13. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm in complete agreement about the need for lucrative daily quests, perhaps that open up as you do more quests and build reputation with people in different regions by solving their problems unlocking more variety of quests and such and perhaps the chance at say some unique recipes for completing them - themed to the region. I'd put these questgivers in the less-visited regional cities, too.

The go here, kill x thing has really been done to death though. I'd rather see something where you had to obtain xx items (dropped from wolves or bears or bandits or whatever in particular scenes) - this way you could farm a bunch if you knew you wouldn't have playtime to do the daily tomorrow, but limit it to one turnin of the quest per day. Kind of lets people set their own pace. I'd like to see crafting quests, too.

Celestis: Quest to craft say, 5 perennial coast farmers outfits. Reward: Producer XP, Faction Gain, a bit of gold (say, a bit more than the vendor value of ingredients, for example).
    You'd need to gather or buy the cotton, the bark, make the spools, the canvas straps, as well as the final items, which would be reasonably time consuming and the reward should reflect that. If you can get more exp in the same time just mining, then there'd be no reason to do the quest and it would just be a nuisance.
    Mud: Quest to craft say, norgard chairs or something else themed from up there. And so on and so forth.

As you build reputation, you could slowly learn to craft better things, including a mechanism to learn these 'faction themed' recipes (like elven stuff, kobold stuff, norgard stuff, perennial stuff) without relying on the "lucky rare drop" recipe acquisition and have it instead be something you earn. You could also unlock titles with the different factions after so many hundred completions, giving it another goal.

14. Milca

Milca Avatar

This just feels like it's Exactly like World of Warcraft.

Woodchuck and Elwyn like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes but you hit on the point. This not a game for just one type of player. It must provide complete systems for many types. One person said he doesn't care about fishing and thinks it's a waste of time to work on it but is that true for everyone? If we can't be proud of the system of the game and be able to say yes shrouds does a good job of them then what? This is what: A new person wanted me to teach them about fishing in the game and so I did and of course he was disappointed. I said fishing is getting an update one day. So I rallied and rallied for the continuously pushed fishing system to get it's update. It is not deserving of what this game could be to not have things for everyone because that is what we have today people who want everything. Before we were on steam perhaps it was a niche game but all the directions the game went in after that time gave more options from feedback but many of those options were left lacking. We need the things for the task oriented players too. Not adding in an achievement systems was always a mistake, but it is getting added in too. I don't see why creating a more polished game would make it boring for you. They are still polishing and adding content for everyone. I wish for all systems of the game to by polished.

Woodchuck likes this.
  16. Milca

Milca Avatar

Port is doing a very good job catering to different types of players by giving us so much content and the game is still improving in every aspect. I understand you are saying that these repeatable quests can cater to the group of people who enjoy completing tasks, but I simply don't see the point in doing that. I do not believe anyone, including the people who likes to complete tasks, would enjoy completing the same task every single day (or rotational weekly). Then, the only reason to keep doing the same quest is to get the reward.

There are 2 problems with this:
    First, as mentioned above, when you doing the tasks just for the reward, the gameplay that leads to the reward become chores. Basically something you want to get over as soon as possible.
    Second, the reward has to be high enough to attract players to do them, which also attract players who normally would've gone out to do other fun things in the game (create memories whether experience a less traveled area or just roleplay in a PoT to make new friends) to go and do those mindless tasks that they have done for over 30 times just to get the reward.

Except for the first time of completion, repeatable quests don't provide any new experiences, or excitements, or a sense of achievement for the players. It has been a lazy way out for a lot of the games' endgame content (or transition to endgame content). While Port has so much new and creative content lined up for us, I really don't see a reason why they should increase daily quest reward to make the gameplay boring.

Woodchuck, Elwyn and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  17. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I don't understand the appeal of daily quests. If you want to go kill dragons, go kill dragons. Why do you need a quest to do it? Make your own adventures IMO.

Nelzie, Woodchuck, Elwyn and 2 others like this.
  18. Deana Beretta

Deana Beretta Avatar

For some, it's about guidance. For other's, it's about incentives. As Majoria pointed out, it's best to try and account for as many different player types as possible. Maybe the idea of killing bandits in the East Perennial Trail sounds like fun to you, but it sounds pretty boring to me. I hate swamp zones. The experience rate is terrible. There's no chance at good loot (in a low level zone). There's no reason to do it (in terms of story, unless I were to concoct something myself, but I'm not that creative). Portalarium already tried to add incentive to do this, by saying "low level humanoids will occasionally drop weapons that can be salvaged into decent components", but unless I were the type of person to read every patch note for every release, I'm very likely to miss that detail. However, if there were an NPC when you first zoned into the East Perennial Trail, with a quest.
    "The shoguns of Ardoris are in need of weapons to help deal with the recent undead uprising. The bandits in the nearby camp appear to be using serviceable blades. Perhaps we could salvage the blades from these weapons to help the shoguns in their efforts. Why don't you go relieve the bandits of their weapons? Ten "bandit short sword +2" should do the trick!"​
    Now we're talking. Not only does it give us something to do in the zone, it also clues a player into the fact that these items can be salvaged into something useful.

19. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Eh, Wow isn't the only or even the first game to do this sort of thing. It gets done in a lot of games because it works - instead of a meaningless, low reward daily quest that nobody would bother with, you'd get to work toward something.

20. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I'm not even sure the XP is too high on these. Hear me out. Go to Upper Tears, and have a decent group, and you can get roughly 5K in gold, and 1 Million XP just sitting there doing a job for an hour (or a bit less). Don't get me wrong here... I love that this is possible. Honestly, without UT, and the looking for groups thing, the game suffers pretty horribly in the "rewarding and fun" department.

If you kill the 30 Elves in Greymark (one of the easier ones listed above), that will take 20 or so minutes, and you already have a chance of getting bundles from them every time you kill one. The XP for killing these elves really is sort of on par with the UT numbers, if you think about it. Plus, getting crafting XP is a VERY long process in this game, so it helps those who don't have 5 hours a day to mine chunks of silver.

I absolutely love the OP's idea, and quite honestly, it is very strange that we don't have TRUE dailies like this already. I brought up a thread about this exact topic a few months ago. Everyone seems to want it, they seem to have the mechanics to make them a thing already in place, and it would help give people variety that is actually REWARDING. I actually think you should get NO LESS THAN 1 M XP for finishing the main quest line. It should be 500K for each of the 3 (truth, love, courage), and then 1M for the final bit. If they want to draw in people, they can't be this stingy on things in general. I know you have to be careful about ruining an economy, but what good does it do if you have no players to talk about it? These daily quests are EXACTLY what this game needs, and they need to be worth my time.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.