Daily Quests

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rook Strife, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

The reason is that it is really not very rewarding for a group of four to go kill the dragon, even if they do it 8 times. You get like 7k XP (divided up, because party) from it, and the loot it drops is not really that great (again divided up, because party). The best thing you get from it is 5k crafting XP when you skin it (again divided up, as only one person can skin it). The 1/1000 chance to get its head, or the 1/100 chance to get an artifact is just not worth my time. Killing the dragon can't give a ton of crap EVERY time you kill it, or it really would break the game/economy. That's why you make it so that ONCE per day, you actually DO feel rewarded for killing it. It really is pretty simple. Why bother doing something in a game, if you don't feel like it was worth your time?

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh you mistake the point. These sometimes menial tasks are not necessarily for everyone. They are for those who must have some kind of reason for doing things and believe me there are players I know who have quit over this missing feature in this game. One of them is a huge high dollar backer of this game.

Missing an in game achievement system and daily quests a was a big mistake. You don't have to agree with it or even do them. The reward is not always the point but of course daily fishing quests to get a hard to find bait needed for certain fish is great incentives too.

I know why this feature wasn't coded or added in sooner having been here since 2013. Originally this game was going to be on a smaller scale with players creating their own content.

The game was going to provide tools and really imo no clear picture of how that would play out. Of course over time it was found that not all players want to create their own content and want the game to provide it also. Some of Story was written of course and gotten in as best as it could but the coding and foundation for it was weak. Our characters werent coded to react to the world and phasing couldnt be achieved in an mmo very well. Achievements couldn't be added in due to the coding that would take. The stage was not set for a big MMO game that was being created by a small team with a low budget. So here we are today amazingly with a bit broken world and a lot of amazing things too that we need to put together. We need a lot of the MMO foundation too with the whole package to be completed. You may not like getting some parts of that in but it has to be done not for you or for me but for the game. I trust this team. They are not giving up. I admire them so much. Making a game of this scale with their budget being dictated by what players provide is not an easy way to make a game but yet here we are. This game will make history from all of this but it has not been an easy road. I know we can do it for those who are interested to hang around. Sorry for the long history but I do find it quite interesting how we have evolved to this point. It has not been an easy road.

Nikko likes this.
  3. Milca

Milca Avatar

That's what I am saying though... Those games are all the same.

Elwyn likes this.
  4. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Some players (me included) like to have a quest to follow/do, as it feels more like a task rather then thinking... Ok what can I do tonight.. ugh I will just go grind xp AGAIN...

5. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I love the idea of Rook strife!

6. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Even with this added this game will never be just like any other game. Players have been key voices to how it was completed. What other game has been developed like this? Even though this game gets MMO features it won't evolve into just any game. Look at what we have that is unique to this game.

Feeyo likes this.
  7. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Do you know how successful WoW is? A bit more wow kind of features will absolutely not hurt SotA. If the base of SotA stays the same + Wow/MMO added features, SotA will be so utterly awesome.

Nikko and majoria70 like this.
  8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

More Wow = less Me :)

Elwyn, Kain Darkmoor and Jaesun like this.
  9. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

i have said it for years there is plenty of room in game for an adventurers board in the main npc cities for daily and weekly quest/jobs. for things as simple as clearing encounters, exploring scenes, and killing bosses.

its easy content and gets people out into the world doing things they would not normally be doing.

10. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

Kill X is suggested mainly because it's the hardest thing to screw up in implementation

You got the quest giving NPC and journal tracking. No broken maps / map pointers / unlootable items / etc etc

The last thing we need is to have these implemented and have quests stuck in your journal at like 5/10 for a month

Start with the simplest thing and if it works, go from there.

This game has a ton of mechanisms to take advantage of factions. Long way off though.

That is another advantage of the group daily.

Since players play at different times it should put a few LFG's up throughout the day with people looking to complete their quests.

Just adds another social options for players.

Whether you are a daily person or not, you can always open up your LFG window and find a random group to join with people killing a dragon/lich/daemon or whatever for some random fun.

Let's avoid doing anything if it has been done in WoW.

lol

Nikko likes this.
  11. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Kill X has been done not only in WoW but in ...like every game ever.
    Precisely for the reasons you've stated - its likely a lot easier to implement/track.

I'm all for having the game be unique, but look where that got us with the existing quest system - 2 years after persistence and its still, quite frankly, a buggy mess.

The fact of the matter is we didn't see people bothering with many of the sidequests at all once past the starter scenes, until they started rewarding unique deco and such, because the xp reward for the time they took (particularly if you add in all the time trying to figure out if its broken or not or if you've just not guessed the magic keyword yet) - was extremely non-lucrative. If you can get more xp/gold/reward clearing a road encounter on your way to pick up the quest, why would you bother doing the quest?

For this precise reason I'm in favor of some sort of incremental gain system - faction is only an example - it can be anything. If there's a daily quest that gives me 5000 xp its probably not worth my time to even run out and talk to the guy who gives it much less complete it. I don't think there's any reason for them to spend time implementing content that nobody is going to actually -do-. But incremental rewards for repeated completions means you can work toward something nice without having the quest spit out really high rewards every time.

No, I don't think we should just copypaste the quest system from another game, I don't think anyone's suggesting that. But certain things have been tried and proven to WORK, and we shouldn't shy away from that just because we didn't come up with it ourselves.

Brugas likes this.
  12. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yep, there is plenty to take in from other games and still have SotA's own unique stamp on it. Every game out there draws from something. This drew upon the Ultima gamess including Ultima Online. Ultima had basic concepts from games such as Dungeons & Dragons. Dungeons & Dragons had most of it's concepts from novelists like Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, H.P. Lovecraft, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc and it's predecessor game, "Chainmail", which took in concepts from Avalon Hill-type tabletop games of strategic combat simulations. Very few things are ever truly unique.

Nikko likes this.
  13. Metalton

Metalton Avatar

I'm not for daily quests, although I'm not against them either. Seen 'em in other games, sometimes I did them, sometimes not.. O' course there are those who have a compulsive need to do them ;)

Definitely something that could be look at with the journal system rework for ep 2.. Unless it will delay the rework :)

-Met

14. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Anything that draws interest for even a quarter of the players, and maybe... just maybe brings in some new folks is a good thing. Especially if the mechanisms to add said thing are already mostly there. This daily quest thing just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  15. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

This. It is relatively easy to implement, and if a player has a dislike, it's pretty simple. Don't do 'em. Leave them to the people that like that type of content. I have a feeling that hundreds, if not thousands of players would do some of it often.

Synergy Blaize and majoria70 like this.
  16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

I like how SotA is *not* another cookie-cutter MMO.

We need to protect SotA uniqueness, not slowly evolve it to resemble the garbage that is out there.

The motivations are not wrong. Players need something to do. Players want to be rewarded satisfyingly for their efforts.

There are others ways to address these issues, but for the love of all that is good please don’t suggest such mechanisms like “daily” quests.

Players need something to do. This is a content issue. SotA is constantly adding new content to give us more choice on what to do each and everyday we login to the game! Have patience for this. Systems take time to build, and eventually there will be so many things to do you won’t know where to start! And not to offend, but SotA has much content in it already; if players cannot have fun without being guided or led by quests, then that, with all due respect, is an issue with the player — not the game, imho.

Players want to be rewarded. This is a loot rate and quality issue. The loot controls need to be adjusted so that it is reasonable, to a level that does not feel like an insult.

I’m playing SotA exactly because it’s not like the other MMOs out there. I like that it doesn’t babysit or hand-hold you to the degree found in most other MMOs.

You login, and boom! It’s another beautiful blissful day in Novia. It’s pure freedom.

What more could anyone ask for?

I just think we need to be careful, not to have knee-jerk suggestions to problems that we may be perceiving with the game.

We need to preserve the spirit and sanctity that sets SotA apart.

It’s SotA’s strength, not it’s weakness!

17. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I agree that SotA is different which is a good thing. In fact, I wish it was far less like other mmo's than it currently is. I have to disagree that there is much to do once you finish all the quests though. You can grind, craft and go to dance parties but that's about it. I don't think daily quests would hurt the game at all.

Woodchuck and Lord Trady of Blix like this.
  18. Floors

Floors Avatar

Episode 2 will include lots of new quest content I hope.

I'm gonna put some hours in this weekend, but I don't really have the will to try to catch up to level 150 players right now without some SP quests to leaven it.

By Tor likes this.
  19. Woodchuck

Woodchuck Avatar

You know what, I apologize I didn’t express myself correctly, I don’t mind daily quests in and of themselves. It’s when they are tied to a further purpose like for example, building reputation towards a faction or something like that, and takes years of grinding the daily quests to achieve.

Then the daily quests become a chore, and this is what i don’t like. True, it’s still an individual choice to do them or not, but somehow I’d feel compelled to do it (it really depends on what’s at stake) or else miss out on a part of the game.

But if the quests are like small one-off jobs/tasks that just give XP and loot, with no further implications then by all means add more of these to what’s already available in the game.

timelordian5 and By Tor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.