Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

disagree - we need no meritocracy in a game and we need a social system because w are a small community and a wide gap like we have now (and death decay maybe close it - and i'm with @Senash Kasigal is maybe way to low) just divides the players - it was less fun for me to be with groups of players who are way ahead - i felt useless - i could stop playing while we kill a dragon, stand there and watch - end of the story - now with Adv Level 70 and in a group with @Elfenwahn, Ruun and Phileas Blunt last Thursday i feel i was important, i did Damage, i need to switch to full Healer/ Supporter Deck at Skrekk Entrance to not have the group wiped - i matter. thats what we need, a gap is fine, but this gap between players need to be small or mediocre.
    AND if we talk about that i come close after 100 or 120 - then ok - wait for me in 2020 - i think it will take me that long to get to Adv 100 :p

And honestly: it's nothing against you or whoever personally - but think of all of us - we are the community and we need more people to play this game, support this game and all that, and i assume there are more casual players around than players who play as much as you or Tetsu.

Und weil Mata vorgelegt hat, wir könnten den thread kapern und einfach deutsch reden :p
    @Mata, @Tetsu, @Senash Kasigal, @Bulveigh, @dragonbooster :D

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    eli likes this.
  2. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Then again? Why close the gap if you are able play with a group in your range? If there are so many casuals, you should not have a problem to find a group. If you play with one who is way higher you benefit from his GM and get more XP.
    And still, even if you dont play with us and dont care about decay ... you guys still vote for decay to punish us. Thats schadenfreude in my mind!

This vote need one more option: If Porta does not remove decay, i will remove myself.

Duke Albert likes this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Maybe.... its about measures what i want to say... measures that allow us all to come together one day for all aspects of the game, PvE Coop and PvP and more - and not in 3-5 years ;)
    It may take me 1 or 2 years to reach that "level of power" you've reached in a couple of weeks - thats all fine - no Problem - i like hard games - i like many aspects of the game, also death decay because it makes the game chellenging somehow.
    What i dont like is that the measure is time= effort.

Bulveigh once described UO PvP like this: After some Month you were ready to PvP, sure the hardcore gamers are and stay more powerfull - but tha gap was closer and if a group of "normal" highlevel without top gear came across the Super Avatar had a problem.
    What we have is - you laugh at 10 of me, because i am a one shot and i cannot even make one hit to you!

To you maybe a GM means not that much - to me it takes a year or two to get one.
    I have some skills at 80 and i now work on innates to get to 80, i didnt even begin with crafting, because i'm not ready to efficently farm this huge amount of mats - going into a mine for me is dangerous etc...

Playing is not only about grinding and min maxing to me - and i know it isn't to you also!

You may need to have an interest too in measure things down, to get more people involved, to have more challange at DF Tourney next time and while PvE Group Play :p

the Game actually feels like its build for gamers who play 10-16 hrs / day min maxing focus and going ahead is what they want - ok thats fine, but thats not how it will work to get new players, to have interesting PvP or competition at all.
    The Game need not scale down it's challenge or needs - it need to nerf some progress what was possible while development and create a soft cap (not necessarily via death decay, but why not) what close the Gap between me and you for example so that you can play further and maybe make very slow progress and i come close next year or whatever.

I also think having more than 10 or 20 GM is not what was intended - GM a whole Tree or 2 and it should be way enough to still have challenge, to make it neccessary to group up for a Dragon etc.

4. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

okay.. we reached this level.. I am out ;)

(btw.. there is a difference between +15 equip, and 120 GM's)

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

no really not! I like you Tetsu you know it - i grant you to be one of the top players and yo can have that title forever for me - the Seer is proud to know one of the strongest men in Drachenfels - and you should stay that man. But i don't want you to be able to be 100 times stronger than players like me - who play less - even in some month or even years - it should be able to me to catch up like 3 or 5 of me can take you down one day.
    And that is what i expect from the softcap. Actually i cannot imagine that this will happen :p

but btw, i liked Death Decay in Vanguard Saga of Heroes where ou could loose 3 or 4 levels an evening playing and you needed some weeks to get it back!
    I liked it, it didnt stop me from playing, because playing was fun - it was about playing and not growing at some point.

6. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

The no compromise option!

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Ive lost players to the stupiditiy of decay. And its a turn off for new players looking at it.

You arn't unique in this line of thinking.

We will see this issue repeatedly brought up as more and more people join the community, and more and more top tier players, decide its not worth it and leave.

8. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

Interesting to see some "real" numbers. Seems roughly half of the current population is fine with the system, myself included. It's more than fair and very well thought out. The vast majority of people who are against it are reacting more out of principle than actual game experience. Low level players (below lvl 40) receive no decay. Mid-level players receive extremely little, and for the casual player, the free 10k daily XP will be way more than any little decay they might get. For high to very high level, you are very powerful so you will not die often and get a lot of XP fighting high level stuff, so it's not that significant either. This coming from a lvl 102, and I don't even lose 100k XP on death, which is a fairly insignificant amount at my level.

Anyway this is a dead horse argument because as I said, the vast majority of people against the system are against it by principle, not by any logical argument based on real cases and numbers.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Stundorn, Mac2, Thwip and 1 other person like this.
  9. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

How much XP are you losing at your max? Do you know? I am Adventurer Lvl 84, and losing 35,000-ish right now, and find it really easy to make it up. Seriously like 15 minutes at most if I really need to make that up. That's my MAX decay upon death. I understand that it'll be tougher when I go up another 10 to 15 adventurer levels, but then again I'll be killing things that give me more XP, and killing them quickly. So, I'll be able to make that up even faster. I don't see the decay as a huge issue right now. As you get higher in level, you need to have a bigger pool to absorb the blow. Do that, keep it maintained, and you're good to go. There will be this sweet spot where you realize that you can't keep maintaining,, and you'll know it is perhaps time to STOP raising the skills and just be happy with where you are. That is the whole point anyway, right?

10. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Beautifully stated. Very true.

11. redrumdrake

redrumdrake Avatar

personal i would rather have an exp debit system you die and 1/2 the exp you earn goes to paying off the debit for a bit instead of losing skills.

12. Zapatos80

Zapatos80 Avatar

In effect, that's pretty much what the pooled XP does. I usually have 3-500k+ pooled XP at any given time depending on what i'm training, so even a 100k death doesn't reduce any skill.

Nikko, Mac2 and Thwip like this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

The tax system works like that now. Have an alt that owes a tax debt over 20k because I felt it was too early to pay taxes. As a result, maybe that alt won't own anymore properties.

I realize that may not be the normal case, but it is always good to share different points of view.

14. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Best proof, i am lvl 100 and already lose 300k cause i dont collect gms and leveled some skills over 100 that fits my melee fight style. Real numbers that say, it kills specialization.
    And another proof that the system is useless, cause high level player doesnt get stopped and can easy outlevel the dacay. But on the same time it kills my fun of enjoy group content. Often i dont have enough pool and i have to say, nope sorry no time today cause i dont want to relevel all my skills again.

If you are at work and every time you did something unimportant wrong, you have to pay back 100 dollars from your salary to your company, is this a good job-system? I mean, you earn much more, so it doesnt harm you and you can work harder to get the loss back. Would you say this is fun or fair?

The System does not fulfills his job, is not needed, lowers the fun of playing the game, kills specialization and it is not thought through!

Now tell me again that we need it cause it will close the gap. Thats simply stupid and false. Work on the skill level curve an set a hard cap on 160, done.

This is just a lazy, lack of planing system they throw in because it was the first idea.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Duke Albert likes this.
  15. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Ps. What kind of company forces in a System that over the half of the Community hates, minus the many ppl that already quit the game month befor.
    What are you porta? Evil Corp?
    I feel sorry for the backer who invest money in 5 digit area, played nearly 3 years, supported the game and cant enjoy it anymore

Vagabond Sam and Duke Albert like this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

All i can read in this post (and all others about this topic) is: I am not able to stay alive.
    Well....get good?
    Sorry but somebody had to say it.

Zapatos80 and Mac2 like this.
  17. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Easy to answer, the last 2 times i was killed i was 70% of the fight knocked down (i love who Krul mobs have 100% cc) and cant move thanks to the unfinished game mechanics and the other one i glitched through the piller in verdantis mines into the lava while exploring it. Amazing damage over time, even if you are already on stable ground. Yeah fun!

Lets not forget the range from multiple mobs where i cant reach with longsword combined with confusion where you cant remove with purify so i have to move closer but the direction switches every second cause the confusion gets renewed every 2 seconds. But every direction i press strangly bring me closer to the edge of the bridge.

Fix gameplay first

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    discipleofweb likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

You know, this is a valid feedback plus stuff that sounds like bugs. Pity you post it here because there is a good chance the devs will miss it.

Nikko and Stundorn like this.
  19. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

CC is broken since R3, reported multiple times, Chris knows it cause he answered to it. Sooo......

Pillars was fixed too some days later, funny to see like 30 skeletons from players there. Doesnt bring back my lost xp eather

20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Well you could have turned away and left the moment you realized it's broken. Just saying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.