Death Decay Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by oplek, Jun 21, 2017.

?

What's your opinion on skill/death decay?

1. It's way too punishing, and all loss should be removed from death.

38.6%
  2. I'm generally fine with the system, but perhaps lighten up on the punishment.

4.6%
  3. I'm fine with the level of loss, but would rather it be done differently.

5.0%
  4. I'm fine with the system.

28.9%
  5. It isn't punishing enough. The loss should be greater.

5.4%
  6. Crank it up! I am death incarnate.

6.8%
  7. NEW: Some loss is fine, but the current type and level is excessive

10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NEILMHK

NEILMHK Avatar

這是一個很好的統計,但有些限制。因很難統計到因decay出現已離開了的人,也統計不了因這系統而拒絕進來的人,現存的母群對整體的幫助有限。

總體而言,官方應該掌握更新後人數的變化,是上升還是下降,主要的原因在討論區中在較清晰的答案。沒能吸引玩家,Decay不是唯一因素,但肯定這系統存在很大的爭議,強行推出沒有好處。

2. Bahamut Arc

Bahamut Arc Avatar

Roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sir_Michael, FrostII and Budner like this.
  3. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I hate skill decay. Maybe I'm just crazy, but I actually don't like losing progress in a video game! I think most average players will hate it too, but that may just be my False Consensus Effect flaring up again. ;)

In any case, active player numbers don't lie...we'll see where the game stands after launch with all of these contentious design choices.

4. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

Me too. And its frustrating. I like playing in groups but i dont do it at the moment. Last week i got invites for killing Dragons, exploring K'rul and The Fall but didnt wanted to lose XP. I know it sounds ridiculous but i know myself and know how i would react and feel if that death decay would hit me.
    Frustration is such an ugly, mean and destructive emotion.

5. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Ummm... I'm not sure it was the Germans who bombed Pearl Harbor. :rolleyes: But I'm there with you, it ain't over till we say it's over!!:mad:

majoria70, Sir_Michael, Zader and 5 others like this.
  6. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Just so when it fails and people are jumping ship left and right... I can come back on here and post one last time... I told my you so... before I join the mass exodus.

7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol nice.

Yea i really think its a garbage mechanic. But ive said so 100 times lol

8. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Yeah same... maybe one day we'll all look back at this and get a good laugh about when they tried to decay skills in a non grinding sort of way.... whom I kidding their riding this one until the end thinking its the unsinkable ship. Who would have thought someone might light a cigarette ina balloon filled with hydrogen?

Mata, Budner and Duke Albert like this.
  9. Albert Baumhauer

Albert Baumhauer Avatar

For me skill decay spoiled the fun of the game. The "Drachenfels" guild falls apart because our players lose interest in SotA. Group play is now no longer taking place in our guild. :(

Sir_Michael, FrostII, Mata and 4 others like this.
  10. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

In my opinion, there should be some type of penalty on death. I am ok with what it is now myself, but I feel for the casual player as decay builds up even while offline. If it was only online in adventure scenes, I think that would help the casual players a lot.

11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

[​IMG]

There, i said it. It's over...

Budner likes this.
  12. eli

eli Avatar

in my opinion decay is fine.

however, it is also my opinion that a mechanic which is ruining a lot of other people's game is not fine.

So while i voted "it is fine" i really hope it is diminished or removed.

Selfishly, the 10k xp boost will help me a ton since i play multiple characters. but I know that it won't change the fundamental psychology of my friends who are anxious about losing XP, so this boost won't fix the problem unfortunately.

In fact, getting something for nothing trivializes legitimate XP gain, which could actually give people an additional reason to not adventure.

13. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

People who are fine with it now, will hate it later when they lose more. When it is to late to change. I guarantee it! They like it now cause they play less or do less PvE and dont want people who invest more time to be better. They think, they cant catch up without it.

But let me ask something, how often do you guys play in group since decay?

Loved and supported the Game so long, but death decay killed it. And the login bonus is just a bit sugar on a Bowl of Dirt.

Sir_Michael, FrostII, Mata and 3 others like this.
  14. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

Changed my vote to:
    "It isnt punishing enough. The loss should be greater."
    But only for Avatars with dozens of GMs.

Stundorn likes this.
  15. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I think the main problem is...what to do if we scrap decay?

As I understand the mechanic "decay" it is in the long run a boundary that no one can surpass as everyone is dying from time to time and as time goes by I think this boundary would even shrink as at some point the multimillion pools of some avatars are exhausted.
    Just as an example playing 24 hours a day an avatar could reach a level around 200, playing 12 hours a day might be lvl 180 durable, playing 4 hours a day 160 could be reasonable and 1 hour a day maybe lvl 140 is possible. It would be possible to exceed these boundaries but more or less just till your avatars next inevitable death. In other words decay would hold our avatars at a fictional boundary that is fitting our avatars playstyle and is making your avatar competitive to other avatars.

But without decay there is a mechanic needed to equalize our avatars somehow. And with equalizing I mean that avatars that are playing the same amount of time must be comparable powerful (within the designed boundaries) at some point.

Else I think PvP would be just something for a handful of people or we would need other mechanics like PvP-sorting that just avatars in the same level range could fight each other (e.g. just 60-69 avatars can fight each other and not one lvl 257 avatar is killing everyone else).

Else also PvE would have to be adjusted somehow. If killing a dragon is designed to be a difficult group effort than it isn’t reasonable if this would be for some avatars an easy one-man-job as this might lead to wealth for these soloist that could ruin the economy for everyone else.

Of course I’m exaggerating a bit but this could be the results of scraping decay without replacing it with something else. It is just natural to dislike restrictive mechanics (isn’t in RL different) but disliking and saying “What’s all this crap?” isn’t a solution...a solution would be to present a better handling for a complex problem and then it would be just reasonable for the devs to switch. ;)

As long as there is no other and better option available I’m fine with the current system.

Maybe he wasn’t talking about RL history and instead about a movie or a game. :p

Senash Kasigal likes this.
  16. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Just a couple of days ago, @Berek locked a thread re death decay. The reason? He gave three: 1) the Devs are working hard on this, 2) we will have ample opportunity to ask questions of the Devs and, 3) there are enough threads/ posts on the matter (even though the next decay related thread was buried 4 pages deep into the General Discussion forums and this particular thread being locked had to do w/ a unique decay related matter: the 10k xp on daily login designed to offset death decay for some)...

So, we can ask questions but we cannot hold open discussions? Well, I am glad for this poll; no matter where one falls on the issue, it shows that the matter of death decay still has a lot of life to it and censoring its discussion was plain wrong. Comeuppance ftw.

17. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Adding something to a topic as cover up dosen't mean it's a new topic.
    Especially if you take into account that the people that hate decay will turn the topic into the next 08/15 decay topic.

18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Death should have a cost, I'm in agreement with that. But why does everything they do have to be so overly complicated ? As it stands I don't think most have a grasp of what it really is ( I don't) and. well frankly I think we're all still shooting at a moving target (using SotA targeting :)) I mentioned this in Discord earlier and one of the responses was that if you just keep your adv pool at or near zero you wouldn't ever see any decay. I'm not a rocket scientist but my thinking is that those who buy that logic will be in for a surprise when they suddenly see their skill levels drop. Idk, I think the reality is that decay will remain in a constant state of flux until we (hopefully) get to some point down the road after the game (becomes a game) and has achieved a reasonable degree of sustainable success and the current dev staff won't all be wearing so many hats. As talented and passionate as people may be, the Jack of all trades route is only going to go so far.

Budner likes this.
  19. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

The point that people can solo a Dragon is not that they are overpowered and have to many GMs. The Dragon was never hard or challenging neither is it any other Boss Monster and thats cause the game is unbalanced and have poor mechanics. (High crit and knock downs are the only one i guess) People just know how to use the right skills.

20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I would say it's more of let us all meet in the middle sometday

Then it's wrong i guess for online modes - for sp offline ok, but not for online modes.
    and agree poor mechanics and imbalanced mechanics - why i have to be this or that style of character or why i have to skill all magic trees to be sufficient. - CAP!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.