1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Deco Fireplaces and Chimneys!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Though the hearth itself has quite a few effects attached to it (including several versions of flames, smoke, light, and even sparks occasionally rising up the flue), the actual chimney pieces themselves are purely decorative and without attached functionality (meaning they don't emit smoke or other particles themselves)... Believe me,...though I thought of trying to push for that to happen, the reality is, we don't really have the code it takes currently to make the pieces talk to each other so that when the hearth gets "activated" (lit by clicking) the associated chimney gives out smoke... And even if we did have the chance to hook up such a thing, we're betting you guys wouldn't enjoy the frame-rate hit of everyone in town all firing up their chimneys simultaneously... :) Also, since any piece can be used on any level interchangeably, there's no way to make in not emit if it just happens to be used inside instead of on the roof... Anyway,...it would seem like a fun thing, until you start digging into it, and then it's revealed to be a logistical nightmare... Heh! ^_^

2. Scottie

Heh! I love the idea that sitting beside a warm, glowing hearth on a rainy day gives health benefits of some kind....

3. Scottie

Heh,...I'm betting I won't be getting around to modular crafting stations,...but I certainly love the idea of eventually creating an "evil"/Obsidian-style fireplace at some point... Makes me think of the opening scene of "Legend".... ("Mother Night,....fold your dark arms about me... Protect me with your black embrace!")... ^_^

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Maybe a fireplace with a bubbling witches cauldron? :) Could go in the Haunted House? Please pretty Please!

5. Cassandra Corax

Cassandra Corax Avatar

Rhondda Cynon Taff South Wales United Kingdom
    Wow thank you that is wonderful.

amaasing likes this.
  6. Astor Cerberus

Astor Cerberus Avatar

Amazing, this is exactly what our snowy biome POT needs. Take my money already :)

7. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Sounds awesome! I cant wait to see them.

8. Ellrynn

Ellrynn Avatar

Yes ! thank you !!!!

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Looks cool...

I like the idea shelves on the chimney, but why not have players be able to attach things like shelves to the vertical surface, like we can attach shelves to walls?

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Probably the same reason you can't hang deco on most other deco; the tech just isn't there. This was the reason for the Place Anywhere stretch goal, so we can decorate other decorations. Since that wasn't hit, we wont see it until the comes up naturally in their design, which I think is for Episode 2 or 3. The only exception to this seems to be placing items on horizontal surfaces, so you can place a table on a rug, and items on the table, and then move them all together. Eventually, we should be able to do this with any deco surface.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

Okay, though I'd like to see that discussed more the devs... while some issues with placing deco I would think require some coding, like stacking decos... and I know Place Anywhere would require work on a lot of pathing issues.. I would think vertical placement not to be much more complicated than horizontal placement. At least for certain objects with large flat vertical surfaces. I would also look to do things like place plaques on vertical surfaces (horizontal ones too), so I can label bookshelves, etc.

Scottie likes this.
  12. Scottie

Yeah, the deco system is based on a bunch of seemingly simple things that got added and added to one another over time to create the accretion which is the current system...

Had we known what we know now, and had the chance to rework the system from scratch, we might have broader, smoother functionality... As it is (and I'm still a bit hazy on it, despite having had it explained to me several times), there's a difference between "setting something" on a horizontal surface versus "hanging something" on a vertical surface... And this difference is not merely due to the types of invisible collision shapes we use to define one from the other (as well as separate ones used for ceilings, and separate ones used to actually occlude subsets of those same larger surfaces, so that you can't lay a rug down on a large floor so that it looks like it slides weirdly under support beams and such)...

There's ALSO a difference between setting something on a deco-floor surface (found only in player houses and basements), and setting something on a deco object's horizontal collision surfaces (which aren't technically deco-surfaces), since things you can place as decorations aren't able to have deco-surfaces included with them due to code limitations at this time, and instead need to have a special flag set (one of many for deco objects) telling them to allow OTHER deco objects to be placed on their own horizontal collision surfaces (such as placing deco-books on deco-shelves)... Confused yet? Believe me,...I was too (and am still, to some extent)...

One of the things I had originally wanted was to allow framed art to be set up on the mantelpiece... Unfortunately, to do this each framed piece of art (because of current code limitations) would need to have two versions of itself; one that can be flagged as being place-able on the floor or other upward-facing horizontal collision shape (which has specific placement and rotation limitations, and looks exclusively for the "floor deco polygons" or any upwardly-horizontal collision specifically found on other deco objects that have bee specifically flagged as being "allowed' to have other objects get placed upon them), and one flagged as being place-able on the "wall deco polygons" (which ALSO have specifically exclusive types of placement and rotation parameters, and only exist on player houses and basements)... You can't currently allow an object to be flagged as both wall place-able and floor-place-able, and still work properly as well as rotate properly in all the ways it would need to (the floor placement overrides the wall placement, currently, and prevents certain rotation types)...

To change and adapt any of this without breaking the rest would take time that we currently can't afford, and would likely result in having us strip it all out and start from scratch with that particular system's code... Trying to add to the current system to make it work "as is" would result in a level of extra-resource cost and code clunky-ness that is no bueno... :(

Scottie ^_^

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

I would love to eventually see this btw, like rotating a note to a vertical position and hanging it on a wall... or a noticeboard... or plaques, for instance, as I mentioned.

I hope you guys are eventually able to accomplish that.

14. Scottie

Heh! Me too! ^_^

15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

So we will see a new profession pop up as Chimney Sweeper? What if we don't clean them often?

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'd be happy if I were able to use outdoor items (fence pieces, lampposts, tombstones, etc.) In my house and basement.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Acred, Grayhawk and Scottie like this.
  17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

sounds like a good job for those silly watchers!

Acred and amaasing like this.
  18. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Totally Awesome.

Thank you very much.

Acred likes this.
  19. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Extremely good work and thanks for the extra effort involved. Look forward to adding them to my homes.

Gurney2 and Acred like this.
  20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Great work Scottie! I can't wait to see the metal / Kobold style ones you mentioned.

Acred likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.