Dev Hangout Recap: Multiplayer in Shroud of the Avatar

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dame Lori, Jan 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Great work and great job to the Portalarium team.

2. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Thanks a lot for this we'll be using it to add information to the wiki.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. Alayth

Alayth Avatar

The comment about PvP not adding to the economy was just an observation that they don't bring gold into the economy - they are either removing it, or moving it around. There is no way to create gold by killing another player. Anyways, it sounds like from other things said there won't be full loot, but probably some sort of partial loot with "ransom" (though maybe there's a chance for full-loot with ransom).

They stated in the hangout that they want gear to be able to acquire a history, etc., that make it take on value. I think by this they mean a person's affinity for the weapon (you get better with a weapon the longer you use it), and maybe some other mechanics we haven't heard about. With mechanics like that, they feel like it would be too punishing to have someone lose their prized sword or whatever, not because it's intrinsically extremely valuable, but it may be extremely valuable to the player that was pked. That's how I understood it, anyways.

Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  4. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

What I am implying is that you don't speak for everyone. There may be those that agree with your assessment, but it is not by any stretch all inclusive.

By the same token, if RG and team were making SotA to be a direct recreation of pre-UOR UO, it would not be the game I would be looking for.

But I would not claim to be speaking for anyone other than myself. Simple.

rune_74, AndiZ275, NRaas and 3 others like this.
  5. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I should have added a disclaimer that these recaps are my interpretation not only of what the devs said (and I can be wrong), but also what I thought was important enough to paraphrase (which may not match what you think is important), so I encourage everyone to watch the hangout to hear the exact words and tone used by the devs when answering the questions that interest you before debating specific points... The recap is in order so it shouldn't be too hard to scroll through the video to find what you want. :)

AndiZ275, Skalex, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  6. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

I liked the Ransom PVP Loot system that was mentioned... provided a way to still get item/monetary rewards from PVP, but at the same time, still provide a means for ppl to keep that special item they love to continue to build the items rep for whatever it is they are striving for.... balance is important, we don't want to make pvp miserable, but there should be that risk/reward where sometimes you win, sometimes you lose... you wont always get to keep things but there is always that ability to get something neat if you do succeed.... just like in real life... you take a chance and sometimes you succeed and sometimes you get burned and take a hit... whether it be your health from the stress, financially, relationships, etc...

I was especially glad to hear that our pledge rewards will not be loot-able in pvp... so then my cloak and land deed will stay with me all game like I hoped... :) the rest of the items, i don't care if I lose... i can just make or find more.... half the fun is exploring and finding new things.... adventure on!!!!

NigNog, AndiZ275 and Time Lord like this.
  7. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

As someone who watched, and rewatched the video and several of the specific questions multiple times, I have to say that I agree with your interpretation for the most part, and believe its valuable to share with others. And definitely the video is very much worth watching for anyone thats interested in the game's Multiplayer / PvP. It actually went places I wasn't expecting it to go, and for that I'm thankful. Hopefully my own interpretations aren't too far off the mark.
    And the 23 - 24 minute mark is a classic. Full props to Starr for it.

Dame Lori likes this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:oops: I would like to point out that we don't want the Development Team hemmed in and need a lawyer when they talk openly about stuff. They are doing a good job right now throwing out tid bits for us to munch on and I for one appreciate that. But if they don't, can't or have to change what they deliver, I still won't be disappointed with anything that come out of such a Dream Team Portalarium has put together.

"Be all you can be" and if you can't be what you want to be, then be the best you, you can be!
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

9. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Amen! So far I feel my pledge has been well spent... gotten alot of fun and good times. I am certain I will get many hours of fun exploring the new world and killing things.... I have firm beliefs too that those backers at Explorer level on up who will automatically get future episodes should be pleased that while we may not get some features in Episode 1, that doesn't mean they aren't exploring ways to bring them in Episode 2 or future ones.... Let's do what Starr and Richard and Chris have been trying to tell us... focus on good core base mechanics and gameplay... get it good and enjoyable and then we can add the bells and whistles and make it the best online game it can be....

Ned888, Akeashar and Time Lord like this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Except for a few things, I liked what I heard in this discussion. However...

Sad to hear this one. Yes, I can understand where the PvP argument comes from, but I also have to be concerned about my kids playing this game. So I guess we will be in Friend-Only mode, and I won't get to see many of you wonderful people in Open mode.

Again, no options for limiting by space within the building means there is no opportunity to share a single plot with multiple people, without allowing them to potentially trash other people stuff. There really needs to be a system for this.

So you can block people by dropping cabinets and chairs, but not your body. That makes no sense...

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Good thing Ultima Online is still available for you to play. Enjoy it.

Ned888 and Dame Lori like this.
  12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I loved the open feel of UO.
    After this chat I can tell they are trying to stop the grief.
    I'm all for the grief myself and expect that in a open pvp mode.

1. Crafting Stations
    I would have it so if one person put something on the table the next person could take it off.
    I'm sorry it's just more fun that way.
    If you don't want someone messing with your crafting then either go to your house or find a table no one is using.
    In UO I was always able to find some empty town where I could stack things on the ground and then do some crafting without hardly anyone ever coming by.
    Yes you would hold the pile in the air and not move if someone came in but they would soon leave and you would be back to your crafting.

2. dropping items on the ground outside of your house in public areas
    One of the things that made UO so much fun was this!
    Having a picnic in a the middle of a dungeon, I mean how many games allow this.
    To see Star going against this makes me very sad.
    And there has to be collision, if someone blocks things off simply move the object out of the way.
    If you don't want something stolen from you then don't sit it on the ground out in the open.
    Why does the game mechanics have to solve everything, user your own wits to get around these things.

3. Looting others - It was either Chris or Star who said - You can't take everything
    I know there are things for the story and maybe if it is something you have to have and can not go back and get then fine
    But for weapons and gear all of that should be able to be crafted again, you should be able to lose it all

4. Looting creatures - not decided - but they said it will probably be the middle ground
    I'm for the far end where anyone can loot the bag.
    It don't matter if you just stood by and waited for the creature to die.
    I know we had newbs get all the items behind the better players killing things in UO.
    Plus you get the item fast or don't get it at all.
    I would not mind a short timer in-between taking things so one person can't just take everything because he is faster then the rest.

5. Death - they have not decided on this one yet
    I like the corpse run idea

6. Hiding behind things.
    I like the direction they are going here, so you can hid behind a tree or something and not get hit by the arrow.

13. Mavro

Mavro Avatar

I really agree with you here, if you really love that sword/staff/dagger so much pay the ransom and ill give it back, don't want to fine, it can be crafted again. There has to be a sense of adventure and win and loss. From what I've read and listened to the items that you will lose are replaceable, no deeds or special items, much to my disappointment, but hey it was a laugh as a thief to score a house deed but no one really paid for them back then.
    I like hearing from the devs that the more you risk the more you will be rewarded by not only exploring but from adventuring. This in my opinion means more adventuring in PVP land or in PVP mode, its really starting to sound like a better game then what I was thinking it was a few months ago.
    Just a final note to the devs as well thanks for the heads up about it all, and to Dame Lori for the post and link.

Golem Dragon likes this.
  14. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Thank you @Dame Lori! Fantastic work as always! :p

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Looks to me like an honorable duel, not killing or evil. More like knights battling until one yields. The way it should be.

Great recap Lori!

Rhiannon and Dame Lori like this.
  16. taka

taka Avatar

Thanks Dame Lori!
    Your recap is always clear-cut!

17. Browncoat Jayson

I've been thinking about this one:
    I think I would be ok with this, *IF* the following were also filtered for those individuals:
    • All emotes; I don't want to see anything they are doing, as this is behavior.
    • Any non-movement animation (i.e., jumping, ducking, etc); just show me where they are.
    • Ideally, replace their avatar on my display with a generic equivalent.
    This allows those players to still exist for me (and my family), but really not be able to interact with us at all, apart from possible PvP. Would this be enough for everyone who refuses to allow for full player blocking, so that Open mode is usable by the masses?

Margard, vjek and NRaas like this.
  18. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

I am not one of the "refuses to allow for full player blocking" crowd, however I am the one who suggested the question for the dev chat to begin with.

I do understand the complexities behind implementing a blacklist into the selective multiplayer system, but I decided to ask the question regardless, just in case the devs had some sort of magic formula they could use to resolve the issue.

Your suggestions on expanding the "Ignore" to include emote animations are marvelous.

I can see it now though:
    • Player A: "Dude, what is that guy next to you jabbering on about ? And what are those obscene gestures he is doing towards your avatar ?"
    • Player B: "Who ? BingoBob ? I have him on Ignore so I can't hear him."
    • Player A: "Yeah, probably for the best, you don't really want to know what he is saying about you."

Ned888 likes this.
  19. Browncoat Jayson

Thats kind of the issue, tho. In every MMO I've played, speech and direct tells are ignored but emote animations and crouching/jumping are not. Therefore, there are still ways to annoy people. I could care less if that person wants to go off on me, since I won't hear it, and it may make others ignore him as well.

Win for everyone... except BingoBob of course, but we can't hear him anyway.

NRaas likes this.
  20. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

(Excuse the necro)

Anyone else notice the interesting tidbit in the "Deep Dive: Multiplayer / Instancing" chat regarding the ability to explicitly block players from ever appearing in the same instance as you ?

If the devs have indeed overcome the challenges they noted earlier regarding that capability, such makes me quite giddy at the prospect. :)

TheMadHermit and Margard like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.