Does anyone else HATE the proposed card system??

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Owain, Mar 14, 2013.

?

Like or Hate combat-card system

1. Like

21.5%
  2. Hate

29.3%
  3. Not sure

49.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

The thing I loved about magery in UO is that even third level and fourth level spells were handy at GM skill level. These days I find spellcasting rather dull in many games - as you level you end up replacing spells with more powerful ones, rather than expanding your array of spells that are worth using. I find these days there is not as much strategising particularly when you are locked into particular streams of magic.

UO combat was always my favourite.... you had no idea what someone you were fighting was going to do as you had no idea what class they were (there were no classes). I found that what was interesting about UO is that the way that the skill system and combat were designed. People tended to foucs on a build and skills in terms of whether it was more offensive, defensive or evasive (or varying degrees of them). This is what was the identifying factor of a players combat style. What mattered from a tactical p.o.v when fighting another player or monster was how offensive/defensive/evasive they were and you were, not whether they/you were a fighter/mage etc (though the profession was typically aligned with a combat style). I remember I was always trying to perfect my skill build... I was always wondering whether there was another combination of skills that would be better/more fun to play. These days you pick a path/tree and that's it.

Personally my vote is for capping the choice of skills you can invest in and capping those skills. Although this is restrictive in a way... I like having that restriction.. if you can just use whatever skills you want whenever you want, the game gets dull. It's nice to have to make the decision to have to decrease a skill you have previously raised in order to raise another skill - you have something else to work towards - your character experiences CHANGE. I also find this more realistic too in that when you stop using a skill, for example in real life when you don't do something for ages, your not as good as using that skill as you were before. People are not "experts" at everything... they are "experts" at some things that they do at a period it time. These days in games you either don't get a choice to change... or you are given everything, and I find both of these get boring rather quickly. Don't know if I'm a minority.... but general rule goes that if one is spoiled, one takes things for granted.

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

3. Ultimike

Ultimike Avatar

Card system????? wtf. My immersion bro!!!

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

get over it; hey give it a try you may like it ...

Mordecai likes this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I'm assuming what they mean is like the old school wizards where they memorise x spells and then they can cast them rather than the sorcerer type where you have x number of spells you can cast and it can be any spell from the list you know or the mana type where you can cast any spell but they all use mana and mana is limited so you carry around mana potions to cast more spells

I'm hoping this system doesn't make what I want to do (walk around with a entourage of skeletons as a necromancer) impossible

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

you never know there might be foods that restore mana too. Fishing might be an important skill.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Damn, you're hardcore!

8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I admit, hybrid mages were fun, but pure dexxers were mindless: all you had to do was stay next to your opponent. Archery was even worse (though balanced) in this regard.
    Not much is known about the system, but here is what I know:
    The system requires some degree of preparing your combat options (setting up a deck before hand)
    The system also keeps certain basic attacks available always.
    The devs have expressed interest in capturing the success of UO's magic system while incorporating the card thing.
    I agree that PvP should be fast paced. After trying vanilla Oblivion, and Oblivion with 100 mods (one of which slowed combat swings down), I found that things became quicker. I know that this seems counterintuitive, but stick with me: If your opponent swings sonly once every 2.5 seconds, but can win the fight off of 1 or 2 good hits, each swing will make your heart stop, and one of you will die sooner, accelerating the pace. In a few moments, half my guild might die. If I swing my famous AoS artifact, the Blade of N. Sanity Beach, at you at a 1.25 second rate, the fight, through still intense, will be less so, because we'll both last longer, and because there is no chance of getting struck down by surprise (if one of us is nearing redline, we'll both be very keen of it).

A few side notes:
    1) While we're glorifying other people's UO skill, I recall in 2006, my old friend Killermage decimated 3 established PKs (he himself was a PK) naked and unmounted just to prove a point about skill.
    2)Crash Bandicoot
    3)
    I think that's everything.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

You're welcome.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  10. Alrick

Alrick Avatar

The combat-card system just sounds lame. Sure, chance should play a part but not like a deck of cards. It just isn't Appealing to me me at all personally. Anybody agree? Or maybe someone could shine some light on how that could possibly be fun.

Ara likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The card analogy isn't necessarily the best choice.. but that being said it's hard to judge a system we haven't seen function or we even have very little information about.

Baralis, TigerKhan, Eligor and 2 others like this.
  12. Alrick

Alrick Avatar

I agree. I'm still going to try it out. And I applaud the bold move to try something different. I would like a more in depth discussion from the developers though.

13. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure even they have a good feel for how it's going to work yet, so they don't have much to discuss beyond the preliminary concept.

14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

As a Magic The Gathering player, I think something like this wll have a good potential to create thought and depth to combat, and anything that takes us further from twitch-based combat I am for. Until we get more information its hard to say how it works, but I am anxious to try it out.

Isaiah MGT470 and Reigner like this.
  15. vjek

vjek Avatar

I'd rather fight the monsters in game instead of fighting the interface.

"No thank you!" to a random combat UI.

Eligor, BillRoy, hanskrsg and 2 others like this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Need to first try it out to do any judgement on it.

17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

OP, you should know that RG has expressed a few concerns that line up with yours. While the devs have opted in on a card system, RG noted that 1) he wants to borrow from UO's skill-based magic system, and 2) he wants to use hotkeys and allow for more than just luck of the draw combat. As such, the final result will probably be a new experimental card system which takes these concerns into account. If I had to guess, I imagine the the randomness of cards will be applied in a way similar to the randomness of dicerolls in RPGs (though RG also expressed that he didn't want the core of combat to be dicerolling).

18. stile

stile Avatar

In reply to the topic, i love the proposal :)

19. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I give the card system an A for originality. There's just no way to know if it will work or be enjoyable without trying it first. If it's in place for alpha and is universally disliked.. I'm sure they'll scrap it.

Pandemonium likes this.
  20. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Ya, I don't want to fight the UI either. And I feel like I'm doing this in any game where I need to pay atention to procs and cooldaowns, I have more that a few skills, etc. WoW is a good example of what not to do.

If the card replaces my normal parry move with a special, better one, great. Anything else is probably bad.

mike.bronner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.