Don't Join a Guild! (At least not right away)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DrWIz, Sep 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrWIz

DrWIz Avatar

I'm of the belief that guilds have their own internal culture, with each guild slightly different than the next. It is not easy for a new player to find a good match, and its especially risky if the new player joins the first guild recruiter met. Sort of like going on a blind date followed by moving into a shared apartment the next day. Its risky because time has not been allowed for getting to know each other. If the fit is not right, and you have to leave the guild (or perhaps even kicked out), there are almost always bad feelings. So, the solution is to not join a guild right away. Take your time to find a guild that fits.

I write this as a player who has no guild, and does so on purpose so I can help players with this crucial time. We have an entire Goodwill Center (In Grumridge near Aerie) dedicated to supporting new, and mid-game players, until they are ready to move to their home within in a guild that is a good fit for them. We do receive donations from players across the land to help us with this not-for-profit mentoring center. There is a donation box at the bottom of the hill just after you enter Grumridge.

Since this is both a new concept, new idea for a role playing game, and a service for new players it will be posted twice. Everyone across the game is invited to support this compassionate concept.

Stundorn and Alley Oop like this.
  2. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Haha nice metaphor!

Stundorn likes this.
  3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Or waking up next to an old grizzly wearing a ring and calling you sugar!

Max Bennis, Stundorn and Sara Dreygon like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd advocate the opposite.
    Shop around. Try them out. Very hard to see how a guild works or acts from the outside.

If there are guilds that are recruiting then ask them if you could try them out for a couple of days, see how they work and see how they act in their guild chat etc. Be nice and be polite.
    If a guild refuse that you try them out first then that is one of the warning signs in my book. (Unless it is that type of hardcore ones that you seek.)

I advocate the same for my own, try us out and no hard feelings if there was a mismatch and you leave.
    We've had folks who go in and out a couple of times, some who stay some who don't.
    It is part of the fun according to me.

But then again I've never really understood american dating culture.
    ;):p

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I agree, but Spoon is also right.
    Should be clear about the trial time is a chance to both, the guild and the new member, to figure out if this is a good match.

Spoon likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I don't understand where the controversy is. If you don't like the guild then open the Social window, click the Guild tab, click the gear icon and then click Leave Guild.

Stundorn likes this.
  7. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

some of us don't either

Spoon likes this.
  8. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.