Duke Island Castle

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Sir Frank, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Did someone say taller?

[​IMG]

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Or this one. Looks perfect!
    [​IMG]

Time Lord, smack and Deliverence like this.
  3. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

I think the problem is most people nowadays say "castle" when what they actually mean is "palace".

Palace = a grand estate with gardens and lots of plaster and windows etc.

Castle = "a large building or group of buildings fortified against attack with thick walls, battlements, towers, and in many cases a moat."

No, it isn't a grand palace. It is precisely a castle.

(Also, @Deliverance unfortunately I investigated that tall-island-castle pic, and it's a fake. :( )

4. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

lol, ok "most people"... Yep, right.
    So it's a bad thing to assume when it's said a castle on it's own island that it actually has an ISLAND, and not just a couple of rocks it's standing on. Ok, got it. My bad for being like "most people".

Not sure why you guys are so uptight when someone says they are not 100% happy with what they received.

Sorry, but I have the right to imagine an island like I imagined it, and there is no need to imply that I, or other people, are stupid and don't know the difference between a "palace" and a "castle"

But thanks anyways for pointing it out, very nice.

And PS: It still looks like a big tower standing on a few rocks, and not like a castle on it's own island

5. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

Well, looking back on past development/designs, usage of lot size, etc... this kind of castle was to be expected. To say it is a little bit underwhelming is also a little bit unfair compared to the other houses. It's a large one and the scale says duke. The interior is very nice. Maybe the land-plot duke house will be more palace-esque.

I really like the front facing balcony of the revised founder knight house, btw! At least that is a balcony by-passers can see from the street. Balconies are for show-off, aren’t they? ;-)

6. Sir Frank

I started this thread to express how happy I am with what I've been given.
    I'm sorry if you're not happy.
    Of course, you're allowed to imagine whatever kind of castle you wish, on any kind of island you wish.
    And, like I said above, maybe Portalarium will make something special for you.

7. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

You don't have to feel sorry for me lol.
    You expressed how happy you are, and I expressed that I don't like it and that I imagined it differently.

We both pledged nonetheless, so I don't see how it's ok to make fun of me for having my opinion.
    Only because some people are superhappy, doesn't mean it's not OK to be not. And I don't need some smarty pants to explain the differences between a castle and a kingdom, or a castle and a palace to me. Silly.

8. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

Just to be clear... I was not "making fun" of anyone, and if it came across that way I apologize. I was just trying to clarify it, as it is a very common misconception in modern times. :-/

9. Duke Crachazz

Duke Crachazz Avatar

Well ok if you weren't, no need to apologize. It just kind of came across like you were somehow implying I would be ungrateful for requesting a "palace" instead of the castle we were promised.
    To me it just really looks exactly like a big tower, on a pile of rocks.

10. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

Yea unfortunately it is a fake but it's pretty cool, the castle on top is a German castle I believe someone photo shopped but would be awesome if it was real.

After you mentioned the moat I can't help but think it would be cool to modify the entrance to have a draw bridge after all it seems only fitting being a castle.
    Your servant could raise and lower it for you as you came home and it would be a good way to keep out pesky door to door salesman.

NirAntae likes this.
  11. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

That makes me remember my trip to Ireland and Scotland. Touching the keeps and castles. Visiting Skara Brae. Memories! :)

Time Lord and O`Sullivan like this.
  12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It is kind of what I pictured. It could stand to have a little more island. I really can't imagine what LoTM would be like. I hope those guys host open houses so that we can come and check it out.

13. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well I'm happy with the design of the keep itself. Cause that is what we're talking about. I just wish it were a little more "island".
    I mean if you wanted to be a little more accurate it should be called the Dukes Keep. Which I'm fine with, I like the design and I'm hoping they adapt it for normal city plots.

14. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

I agree with the "little more island" group. More than anything though I would like a private dock. What's the point of having a water lot if it really doesn't take advantage of the water.

smack and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  15. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree that the Duke's castle is very cool. Can't wait to run around inside one in game.

16. smack

smack Avatar

Yep, would love to see more island around it, as well as a dock extending out to the sea to fish on and park your boat once those are implemented later.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I think the overall struggle is how much water and how much house to provide. I would hate to have a lot of water around my island and a 30 story very thin house (or a circular house with small rooms and a staircase going up 30 stories.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Sir Frank

So, options to accomplish "more island":

Change waterfront city lots to be a different shape. Wedges or octagons might work. Coastal plots might have to be fewer and farther-between.​
    You'd have to give up the ability to easily move from water to dry land. Dry land to water might still work.​
    I presume code would have to be written that detected if your lawn ornaments wouldn't fit on the destination lot.​
    Could return an error telling you to pick up ornaments, or perhaps just force them into your inventory and move anyway.​

Change the size of the house. Design smaller house on city plot size island.​

Design a few fixed islands with a single city plot on them. There would need to be around 32 of them in the world to accommodate the Duke and LotM island Founder rewards.​
    Rather than having an island you could place on any waterfront city lot, you'd have to choose one of the fixed islands. This could wind up being a cool bonus for city plot holders that were not Founder Duke or LotM.​

That's all that occurs to me during my lunch hour.

Time Lord and TEK like this.
  19. smack

smack Avatar

This. The waterfront lots right up against the coast should be for small boats, cabanas, boat houses, whatever. I really envisioned the island castles to be:
    - further away from the coast
    - further away from the town

Granted, the only example we're given is to plop a rather large Duke Island Castle right on the coast of a small village like Kingsport. But still, I hope they are thinking differently here when it comes to island castles.

Since there are autonomous boats in Ep1, why can't there be a real island castle away from the coast, and the only way to/from that island is to take the ferry?

Time Lord likes this.
  20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Love It! Very Grand.

Just An Observation: There Seems To Be No Land For Crop Growing Other Than In The Very Front. I Guess That's The Trade Off For Having Waterfront Property.

What Am I Thinking? A Duke Wouldn't Be Growing Crops! He'll Have His Own Farmers For That.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.