Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Durability Management of Heavy Armor

Discussion in 'Release 53 Feedback Forum' started by Thief, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thief

Thief Avatar

It is going to be really hard to manage the durability of heavy armor. This is not an issue which I even like it.

But devs missing very important points.

1) Hard to impossible to find replacements,
    2) Very very expensive to craft high end pieces.
    3) We hear crafting is very unprofitable and little to no reward there
    4) Warriors need to mine instead of grind and pvp, because no one wants to gamble with their hard earn ore.

My solution is:

Please take steps to support crafters so we can find the replacements easily then this durability loss will be acceptable. Please do not make people to collect mats for 2-3 months for a chance to have a proper set.

Thank you,

2. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

Not to mention Heavy armor has 2 skills that reduce it's durability effectiveness causing it to wear out much quicker.

3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

This won't be the case now that items no longer break and completely disappear on failure.
    It's still expensive, but not even close to what it was before these changes.
    That is just simply not true. I've been making profits from crafting even before these changes. I have always been able to turn a better profit then if i sold the base materials themselves, despite the misinformation that was being spread in the past.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  4. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

These skills should be adjusted in my opinion. I think the negative to durability should be reduced by half for both skills, and if heavy armor spec is trained to 80 it should negate it completely.

5. Thief

Thief Avatar

I expect a great set from you :). This will prove 100% I am wrong lol.

Adam Crow likes this.
  6. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I got the materials ready last night. Ill let you know right when its ready. I'm working all day today and dinner plans tonight, but plan on working on it late night. I don't sleep much :D

7. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

The ONLY way you make a profit is if you are able to sell your gear.. I am GM in all Blacksmith skills, GM in all Alchemy skills, and a few others as well.. To date I have only sold 3 complete suits (80k to 150k each) and a few weapons.... Why?? Mainly because I do not have a vendor in a city and my vendor that I do have has VERY little traffic if any. While I am not at Elrond's level, I can make some damn good gear plus I do not sell anything that was not "Critical +1" to start and this gives you the durability on the items.

Sooo... IF I would have sold all the materials I gathered to make armor, I would be 100x richer than if I used them to make anything at all.

The new failure process only increases the amount of gear that will be out there and not a good reflection on how the product was made. You can have a +6 item with shitty durability but a LOT of stats on it.. So this is going to do nothing but flood the market with low durability gear.

8. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

Do you advertise? Do you constantly pm players that are asking questions about gear? Do you have posts in the player market place and discord trade? Have you joined a market based player owned town?

Like with most things, the more effort you put in the more sales you will get. Zero effort=0 sales.

Jaesun and jschoice like this.
  9. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You could start by putting simple directions in your forum signature.

10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I switched back to Founder level gear so I can just repair with kits due to the high damage gear gets now.

moko and Barugon like this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I use crafted gear but I only use special materials, no enchantments or masterworking.

12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I tinkered a little bit with crafting after the non-explosion change and I've found it really is infinitely better than before. I'm actually happy to see the +durability MW now, for starters and I was able to make a usable set of gear pretty quickly. Gloves and boots are still a pain in the ass though as the limited durability comes very close to needing exceptional starting pieces.

Back on topic... I also don't see any good reason that heavy armor, the type that is meant to stand strong and take the most hits, actually has the function to FURTHER crap out faster based on its skill usage. Seems ass-backwards to me. Looking forward, this is a huge mistake if the game ever wants a realistic "group" required setting with a dedicated tank. Who the hell wants to play that when by definition your gear is going to crap out faster than everyone else's JUST for using your skills?

Tanks in every MMO out there are the most scarce role played - They do NOT need further restrictions in place that would make would-be tanks avoid it. There needs to be incentive.

13. ldykllr

ldykllr Avatar

THIS and also it takes awhile to build up a customer base. I never profited from crafting until I put a lot of effort in advertising and made the move to a market town. I will say tho, it is not for everyone..you do have to make an effort as there is lots of competition.

14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

If you want gear to last longer do you have Weapon and Armor Preservation levelled up in Tactics tree?

15. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

As far as towns go with an increase in player base specific towns will become less important but advertising will not. If anything advertising will become more important in my view.

16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

The point here isn't the steps you can take to make *all* armor last longer, but the fact that using the skills associated with heavy armor actually make *it* crap out faster. It's a strange double standard that doesn't exist anywhere else and really doesn't add anything positive to the game.

17. Evanna

Evanna Avatar

I agree trihugger but arguing with people around here is frustrating at best.....trying to point out something logical like heavy armor already gets a disadvantage in durability due to getting hit more (in theory since port is fine with mages wearing chain chests and getting heavy armor benefits) but it's stupid and wasteful to argue logical points around here....

Just look at the dr discussion here and the people who have been ignored or misquoted when talking about the fact that plate is 10000000% useless compared to chain

18. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

The changes to crafting have changed the dynamic slightly, but if we look at the big picture, it isn't really improving anything for the crafter, or for the customer.

Previously, you'd have to make 50 of something to end up with something more or less what you wanted due to the break rates and RNG.
    Now, you still have to make 50 of something to end up with something more or less what you want due to the fail rates and RNG. Except now, you have a slight chance for redemption by getting a single do-over (maybe two) which wont wreck the durability of the final piece too much, as long as it was exceptional to begin with. Except you also now have 49 "crappy", failed, not quite right, ridiculously low durability pieces. Before, you had explosions and got a few metal scraps. Now you have useless trash armor.

What can you do with this stuff?
    a) sellto NPC vendor ... the new loot mechanic seems to imply this is what we should do. I just spent 10k making a pair of carapacian whatever and the vendor is going to give me ....28 gold! I'm better off salvaging and praying for the 1% chance to get a bolt of cloth back.
    b) list it all on the vendor at far-below-cost prices and hope new players maybe buy it. Of course, if we all do this, we now have vendors after vendors full of useless crap all desperately begging to be bought to recoup any of the cost
    c) use it as deco...? delete it ? give it away?

In any scenario, the crafter is no better off.
    The customer is no better off either, finding decent gear now means there's a much bigger pile of crap to wade through.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad things don't break anymore. It was a necessary change. But its not enough. Grandmasters should make exceptionals 95% of the time. Grandmasters should have full control over the bonuses they apply to the item. The random garbage has got to stop, we are already overrun with it and while a few people may find a piece they like most of it sits, languishing, forever.

To the person who gets the +15 WAND with ZERO int on it and 10/10 durability in their supply bag, I'm sure you're going to do the same thing I did with it ...sell it to the vendor.
    I got a sword in a loot bag the other day ...0/3 dura on it ..that's useful...straight back to npc for a few pennies. I think the new dirty dishware sells for more.

We really need clarity on what you want the crafting system to be --- I can't believe that this is how the vision is intended. You want a player market, give players control over what they make, let them cater to different playstyles, build reputations, fill orders and requests. 99% of all gear on vendors are leftovers/mistakes. Let us do something useful with these things, or at least have the npc pay us material cost or hell even half of material cost.

I have had sooooo many people asking for gear this last month. And I have to tell them all the same thing - go mine 2000 ores and come back and "we'll try" and "maybe you can make something" and I'm a crafter with skills in the 120s. Its just sad.

19. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I planed on earning gold with crafting but shelved this plans posthaste.

I can make my own gear in some fashion (my guildboss is so friendly to enchant it for me because i am not that good at it yet, kudos )

Problem is selling and advertisement. Advertisement I will not make because i get annoyed by advertisement in RL, why contribute to the annoyance in an game i try to enjoy

Make town crier take requests with stats and what not and money, crafter can look through requests and fullfill them, get paid, customers gets gear, that would be my solution.

I love shopping in RL but avoid it in Sota because it is frustrating if you need an specific item to sift through hundreds of vendors selling overpriced junk.

Crafting, despite GM and decking myself out in jewellery that adds to skills and chances still ca.70% of what i make goes back straight to the trashbin because it does not have the added exept. durability needed to put enchants/MC on, and that sucks if you make hardned leather with beetle carapaces hard to get, make at least the gear with harder to find components with better chances for exeptionals, is is hard enoough to gather components for it to start with .

For the folks who have big problems with there best gear wearing out fast do as i, do not wear sundays best for daily work, i have an set soso gear i use for mundane things and my raid high end gear i use only if it is hardcore battles.

20. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@kaeshiva and others here; Lets make some suggestion on things to be changed and here is my two cents:

1) Reduce the durability damage to heavy armor by half. start with that and see where it leads.
    2) Change price on items crafted and sold to vendors with this format: +2, 2000 gold, +4 3000, + 6 or higher 4000. Let us recoup or make a minor profit from our work. This could take pressure off dura damage in order for crafters to make a living.
    3) Double exceptional chance on crafted armor if GM, Triple the actual proability if at 120 plus. I am at 128 blacksmithing and to do all that work to get a 30 percent chance at exceptional is absurd. Gave up on it and wont bother crafting as just gathering and selling to crafters is not only more profitable but less stressfull.

Maybe @Chris or @DarkStarr can take a look at this request. We just went live recently and many of our new players want to craft either for themselves or others. How about we give them a fair chance to succeed and give the game good publicity.

*gets off the soapbox* Come on folks help out with more solutions as we are either part of the problem or part of the solution. R/Boris/El Pirata

Trihugger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.