E... T... Zone... Home...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Schwanke, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schwanke

Schwanke Avatar

I know right now we have zoning to other players and to our deed lots.

I know its been said I believe we are loosing at least the zoning to other players if not also to deed lots.

It would be nice if there was SOME immersive magic way to at least 'zone' back to deeds we have more then guest access to.

I personally would love to see a really wicked reinvention of the rune system from UO.

Maybe stuff like:

High reagent cost to create a rune. Maybe even to use the rune to go home.

Have to 'win' a suitable 'mini game' for the rune to scribe.

Have to cast an uninterupted cant afk couple minute spell to zone to a rune location.

Rune's are one shot but rune books have charges.

I am thinking it would be a blast to have a magic transport system that takes medium to major effort but is still doable.

I would totally be willing to take 10 minutes to create a 'base rune' of my house. Then take 2 to 3 minutes to create each 'charge' for my rune book and then take 1 to 2 minutes of 'playing tick tack toe with Lord British uninterupted by monsters' for 2 minutes to not have to walk the 10 minutes through dangerous swamps back home.

I can totally see why to cut out the whole friend walks half way across the map, half the guild zones to them in five minutes situation. But being able to go into your favorite dungeon and find a safe location and spend 10 or 20 minutes setting up a rune circle or something so you can come back later. I think that could add a benefit to the game character not just the mechanic of easy travel.

Could be a balancing discussion like maybe:

Using someone else's runes costs 10x the reagents.

There is a fizzle chance based on normal magic things such as armor, bonuses, skill you have negative side effects like you loose the rune or critical fail you teleport to different random rune youve created before.

Im sure others can think up cool modifications.

I just LOVE the idea of a teleport system thats integrated to the concept and spirit of the game. Could be a whole skill set of its own.

Other ideas include:

Rune gates that have a limited time or limited number of people.

Out with a party of 10, setup a rune gate to your favorite town that brings everyone home.

Mix in stuff like critical fail and the person cant use it or gets sent to the wrong location.

Could have rune gates for events. Kind of like a shuttle bus service. Rune mage skilled people go to major towns and setup gates over and over again to get everyone to the event. Then gates them back at the end.

People could have rune locations to their vendors then be like a traveling merchant in another town and rune gate someone to their merchant or sell a rune book of their merchant. Etc.

One way gates, two way gates. Two ways cost a lot more depending on time. Being that the world is someone linear in the sense of walking. Could even have costs based on distance calculated by zone.

Can have limitation of non runable areas. Like you can only rune scribe within x number of feet from an entrance to a scene except for non combat scenes.

Just think it would be a blast to have a serious working magic/skill based teleport/rune system.

2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

as much as i love and want runes in the game badly it wont happen, im in favor of runs but to many people believe it would destroy the economy since each region will have its own and by zoning u could pollute it

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think zoning (rune-ing) between control point areas should be prohibited.

Numa and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

I can understand not zoning to other players, but it would be nice to be able to "hearthstone" back to our homes (at least one of them) At the very worst, it adds three places that a player can zone to, and with a long timer I don't see how it will break the game.

mbomber likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Nice write up Schwanke. I loved the rune system in UO for travel. I also loved the freedom to go back to a place I had found to buy from by marking it with my rune and then in turn adding the 'named' rune to my rune book. That was truly a terrific thing to UO. I am not sure what the answers are for us, this subject has been discussed and the community is split on the decisions. There is some sort of fast travel planned but it seems to be a bit under the wraps due to the story based nature of it. I have been here since Nov 2013 and with the subject coming up quite often, I am still in the dark as to what that system will be. As a community with different play styles the ideas on this are indeed very different. I too believe we need to have a system that supports different play styles and doesn't promote abuse. I want to be able to quick travel to others to join a party or friend at least on a timer also. At this point we rally on as you have done in providing great feedback and ideas. I am interested to see what is planned.;)

edited to include a previous discussion, if interested.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...ant-fast-travel-please.1273/page-3#post-15693

6. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

It'd be cool to have the ability to use scene specific runes that only worked within the scene it was marked for. Example... Inside Owls Head I could have Owl's Head specific runes that I would have marked for skills trainer, bank, decorations, moongate..etc.

Budner likes this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that zoning to your lot should stay and the timeout should be reduced to 5 minutes. Also, until someone can show me how "regional economies" could work in an online game, it's complete BS. And, if you think that limiting player's movements is the way then you're only going to make the game less fun and limit the number of people who are willing to put up with it.

Aldo, mbomber, Lord Baldrith and 4 others like this.
  8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    to do what you say would be INSANE.

9. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Unless something has changed since it was confirmed a year or two ago, spells or something else which resemble the results of Gate Travel and Recall are approved.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Are you referring to the OP or who Ravicus, with your quite subjective INSANE comment?

11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I was just saying it would be against the game mechanics. :)

12. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I'm not against zoning home, far from it, but just going to point out that one can have more than 3 lots come launch. One can claim, right now, as many POT lots as they have deeds too.

People do talk about regional economies... but I'm not sold that barriers between areas is going to affect pricing, if wood is 100 gold north of a control point it's probably 100 gold south of it as well.

Aldo, cartodude, mbomber and 3 others like this.
  13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

So the POT owner who has bought many accounts for the deeds can only place 3 in his own town? I am not sure but I think you are mistaken on that. I hope I am right on that. It is worth investigation.

14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I think you have misread my post. I have said that one can have MORE than 3 lots come launch. And that ability to claim more than 3 lots is already present in POT towns.

mbomber and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

ahhhh, damn these eyes!!! *squints and reads again* :D

mbomber likes this.
  16. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I don't see how trying to control economies is going to work. I would think people would just spread out all over the world with their lots to keep from having to bother with control points.
    People will always find ways to avoid places they don't like to go to, and for me the control points would make me less likely to bother having to go through them to visit vendors up past them.

17. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

I always catch myself in discussions like these because I get stuck on thinking of the world in game as it is now. But this world won't be so small 2-3 years down the line. This world will expand, and get bigger. I've personally witnessed great disparity in pricing between Owl's Head and Ardoris. What sells for 40,000gp in Owl's Head, I can find for 7,000gp in Ardoris. So, when the world expands to be bigger than it is now, I imagine regional economic differences might be much more apparent than they are now.

18. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

you are correct :). With the control points and the scarcity/abundance of resources in different areas, prices should really be different in different parts of the world.

19. Selene

Selene Avatar

Ok, yes. I wasn't taking into account the UNGODLY amount of POT lots we can now own. (will it still be that way at launch? I could understand owning the lots in your OWN POT... but any?)

I amend my previous suggestion to being able to hearthstone to ONE home. Maybe you could have a very long timer to change which home that is (like a real world week or something).

20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

And how is this fun?

Ice Queen, Xandra7 and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.