E... T... Zone... Home...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Schwanke, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Womby

Womby Avatar

This reminds me of the old pro and anti protectionism arguments. One side wants to erect barriers to protect local economies, the other wants to remove barriers to give local economies access to broader markets. The former always results in higher prices for the consumer. The latter comes at the cost of local employment opportunities. I suspect Portalarium is coming down on the side of protecting "local employment opportunities", so crafters can sell their goods.

2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I am sorry but Regional economies and difficult travel is one of the core elements of the game.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  3. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I'm sorry, but I believe Budner gave quite elegant and well thought out reasons as to why these travel restrictions make no sense - even in the face of the desire for a regional economy.
    Simply put.... Reducing travel restrictions would benefit everyone - in ANY economy.... Period.
    I would love for anyone to refute his points....

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I agree. Let's hear how increasing travel difficulty would do anything other than make the game less fun.

5. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I LOVE being able to zone home. I do it all the time and it makes playing so much easier. The ability to immediately dump all my loot in my house after a long day of adventuring is comforting and gives me great satisfaction.

When the game is released, however, there will be many "have-nots". It won't be as easy to acquire a deed in-game, and people who have lots to comfortably zone to will have a huge advantage. If there is a fast travel option available, I would like to see it be available to all players.

6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Just because some people want it does not mean its the best for the game. Again, the core mechanics of the game are built around regional economies. Regional economies will not work if there is easy fast travel. We know there will be some sort of fast travel in game but it will come with a cost that will make you choose if its worth it or not.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

What do we want!? Laissez-Faire Economics! When do we want it!? Now! lol...:)

Budner likes this.
  8. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

one of the biggest problems i see in this game and forums is that as individuals we all have an idea of where WE want to see the game go. If its not going in the direction we see then we start posting things of omg we have to change this its completely broken or not good for the game. heck not all the story line is written yet as far as i have herd only the first book is written. but that hasn't stopped people from crying about lack of story line which is being held secret with no comments on by devs.

just like american politics people get on one side or the other of an issue and lock horns fight back and forth over whats best. guess what no matter which side wins this argument or any other argument on the forums do you know who really decides which way this heads not us. the developers have what they want and certain goal in mind to reach. they will follow that to best enhance the game. some choices will make some people very happy others will make that same person unhappy.

I personally was disappointed not getting recall and runes in this game, it was one of my favorite things from uo and it will be greatly missed. but i have come to understand how this plays out in long term scenarios and yet while im disappointed it wont be a feature in the game i understand why.

my only solution that i could even remotely come up with that would help satisfy both sides as a compromise is that should we allow runes/recall whatever that they will only work within the district you are in. so you cant zone half way across the know world. this would not disrupt the flow of economy to much (yes could make travel to different zones much faster) but this would hold the integrity of zone economics.

yes this system could be abused easily but with some creative controls added to it might could make it a viable plan.

however anything that allows u to travel around the world endlessly i think would be a detrimental to the game regardless of how much i would love to see it added

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You do realize that when people ask about different facets of the game, some of which are not important to you but may be of importance to them, does not necessarily mean they are crying. It means they are trying to find out about the things that mean something for them. Either you haven't been paying attention to what people have wrote or you chose to ignore it. Many who are asking about the storyline are not askinga bout details of the story, but presentation of a storyline game world. Two entirely different things that seem to be lost on people.

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  10. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

i used it as an example solely with no intention of insulting anyone. and yet where most of your post's rune i would agree with your stance in your response many others have not. I have seen many good ideas gone ignored more to poster's angry or entitlement or bad attitude than ignored cause the idea was baseless. If i am not mistaken i do follow your posts due to the fact i have agreed with you on more than one occasion. (not all) with that being said 90 percent of all my posts on this forum have always been to try to find a middle ground where people can go ok still not perfectly happy but this can work so we can get more content in the game.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I know:) I usually agree with you...that was a sore spot and I may have reacted stronger then I would have normally. I'm trying to me more positive:p

12. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

We need to consider also, that not each player has the same time at his hands to play the game.
    Someone who can invest hours everyday, could care less, if lets say 20 minutes of those are used by traveling from A to B and back.
    Someone who has only 30 minutes total time per day or week he can play, will definitively have an issue with this, if he needs to do the same trip.
    So the later one will become highly frustrated soon eventually and leave the game alone.
    And every lost player is a lost person to interact, to trade, to play with and a bad voice for our game and community eventually.

13. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

I agree, its a game and suppose to be fun. Wandering around the world map for 30+ minutes to find something is not fun. I understand many can travel faster, but its because they have houses all over the place and can zone to them or they know their way around better than newer players.

14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Another reason to hope for mounts, ships, and airships to come online sooner rather than later!

15. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Yes that will help with travel a great deal!

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I still have yet to hear how "regional economies" are going to make the game more fun. As it is, travel restrictions (i.e. control points) are not fun.

FrostII likes this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I cannot answer this question to you because I do not think I know what fun is for you. Fun is not the same for everyone, its very subjective. Why dont you just state what you think your version of fun is instead of asking me to define it for you.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

When we gets spells that's let us teleport long distances, if the spell is on the 1-100 rating could have higher skill equal able to carry more weight with you.

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Explain how regional economies will be fun for you. Perhaps some of that will apply.

[edit] BTW, what's fun for me is not wasting my limited gaming time.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    FrostII likes this.
  20. Brightstar

Brightstar Avatar

As suggested, mounts, ships and airships could help with travel time. Mounts should move slightly faster than on foot on the overworld map. Meanwhile ships and/or airships should be extremely limited (N to S, E to W) from one region to another region and could be set based on a timetable. The ship/airship would leaves every hour or 2 hours to said location, therefore giving players a schedule they can base their play time on. Also, there would be a 'not so cheap' travel fee for the conveniece for this mode of transportation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.