Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

It puts the lotion on the skin.

2. smack

smack Avatar

So following up on my earlier post about the nutritional value of the body, where I linked to the article that listed the amount of proteins and fats in each body part, it lacked any information about carbs. I found another article that talks about it briefly and I think I can put that info into a shared spreadsheet that details all these values.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/517328-the-main-storage-of-carbohydrates-in-the-human-body/

It should be really helpful to Richard as he's designing the food system now that depends heavily on those three values and we'll have a basis that can be used in recipes. Human meat pies, here we come!

3. smack

smack Avatar

Oh and because we can roughly calculate the proteins, fats, and carbs in each body part, we can integrate this into the character customization feature! So perhaps unbeknownst to the average player, the way they design their bodies may prove fatal as hungry adventurers and evil butchers and alchemists seek certain types of people out because of the distribution of those three nutrients in the body!

And that might also be a deciding factor into which body part the killer loots from you as his trophy -- which he could then either decorate or sell to butchers and crafters to make pies out of!

4. smack

smack Avatar

And how about poisons! We know that there will be a percentage of prions in the body, more so in some parts than others, and that will act as a "poison" of some sort against the cannibal. But what if we can actively poison ourselves as a last act of defiance against our killer? So let's say we're about to be cut down to death and our last act is to ingest a lethal poison that can be used to "taint" the body. Depending on the type of poison, the cannibal may be killed too or suffer a long lasting debuff of some sort.

This creates yet another layer of gameplay for the alchemist, as well as giving the victim revenge even after death.

Oh, and it can also be used in perhaps another skill such as detecting poisons in food -- which will of course include human body parts!

5. Floors

Floors Avatar

I dunno smack. Prions in a fantasy game ? That's kind of like how the force became "midichlorians"... I just don't want that level of real life detail :)

6. smack

smack Avatar

Well, I just used that term because it's the most common thing people know about as a negative effect of eating human body parts. We can make up any other term or some other way to act as a negating aspect to cannibalism.

7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Let's look Deeper into that Ultima spirit and see if we can see something Really BIG coming "our way" ;)!
    :eek: "Godzilla!" :confused:

:oops: History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men... (what is the ~Time Lord~ talking about?) o_O

I know that we need something that can fill many things that have been wished for in our coming New Britannia;

Playable monsters
    Player created events
    Player generated quests
    Community gathering motives
    Surpass other game designs bravado
    Sources of true player designed rituals
    Splash media value by way of the provocative
    Moral safety for our small children's protection
    Provide the player a darker pathway to engage in our game
    Have some representation and playable dominating evil in our game
    Give our Lord British something even more to sell our game through talking points
    A different and more challenging play character for our more challenge minded players
    Bringing back old Ultima ways by nostalgic content (the savage empire had the 3 stooges...almost;))
    Have the wearing of human skin be of some unique use to the players other than just another style of armor

So why or why not, "Godzilla?"
    If the "Feeding Frenzy" design could be built to accommodate and fill all of these desires, then it could provide "all of us" what we wish for.
    What if instead of such realism as that of a human form, the cannibal's diseases could lead to the Feeding Frenzy and then "change him or her into a animated monster". Then, if they can accomplish eating an ever increasing amount of fresh or well preserved human remains, then they could develop into an ever increasing larger and more powerful monster. But if they cannot continue the ever increasing Feeding Frenzy, then they starve to death because of the amount that they would need to stay alive and continue to grow, because if they are not growing, they are starving "to death". There after such a death, they are again free from disease and born again, yet in order to gain monster status again, they would have to follow the pathway of the cannibal way of life, in order to reach that monster status again... "which as described by our crossbowsoda in the cannibal document, is a very horrible trail into misery and challenge".

Ned888, Bowen Bloodgood, Lord Trady of Blix and all objecting players, I do thank you for all of your stone walls that I bounce this apple off of, or allow Godzilla to create some cracks in your walls, by way of your contributions to this idea already.
    Please let me hear some more thoughts from you all on how we all can create something that is not anyone's embarrassment to play our game, but an enhancement for it's better mass appeal.
    :oops: History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men... (what is the ~Time Lord~ talking about?) o_O "Godzilla!" :confused:
    "Dig in, fine young Cannibals!"
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

8. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Since you are implying that Godzilla is really just the natural progression and culmination of cannibalism, and essentially is still human, does this mean I would have to flag for PVP in order to defend with my stealth fighter and nuke-tipped missles? If so then I am totally against this because I will never participate in PVP.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
  9. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I don't know how the ESRB rates games... I assume that this game will probably be an 'M' rating with or without cannibalism.

Age of Conan, UO, ESO, World of Darkness, GW -- I believe these are all M ratings, and they're pretty tame.

10. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

We are working on crafting recipes that would allow all players to construct many 'Mecha-Godzillas' to counter this indirectly and avert the PvP flag, as we speak. ;)

11. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Quite a few of us could be tempted into paying an arm and a leg for it. ;)

12. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Hopefully in episode 1 it will at least see some 'story-time,' and maybe a pretty bare mechanic for necromantic reagents.

13. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Absolutely!

Hopefully they back this up with interactive NPC tribes, villages, etc.. It doesn't have to be a focal point by any means, rather a nice touch.

Still, harvestable organs for the purpose of alchemy/crafting/spellcasting.. meat shacks.. blood rituals.. some of these seem to fit the bill for the 'Underworld.'

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

(Meanwhile, while I'm highjacking this thread off of the more human based aspects of Cannibalism and into the realm of a fantasy Monster :p)

:eek: "Godzilla" :confused: (The "What if" Interview)

What if, a cannibal tribe just keep feeding themselves to feed the monster?
    Cannibals should gain nothing from eating other cannibals.

What if, a tribe or single lone wolf has multiple accounts and keeps feeding them to the feed the monster?
    There should be a way so that any single player cannot be eaten by any single cannibal more than once per real life day. This not only deters any penetrating effects into any city and also helps the cities population to be able to mount an offensive thus driving the monster out of town and back to his lair if the monster survives. Once a player has been turned into a monster, then that monster cannibal would need to eat more and more in ever increasing amounts each real day's time in order to not begin starving to death, thus limited raiding could be done using such a monster. Yet, please keep in mind, that if the monster is killed, it would be a very long time before that cannibal player would ever be able to regenerate back into a monster as described in the original Godzilla post.

What if, a tribe were to begin feeding a monster player?
    This is where ritual comes into the picture. Because if the tribe's aim is to create a super monster, then such ritual would need scheduling and also with a precession of offered fresh or well preserved human meat. Yet keep in mind too, that the amount of time it takes to feed the monster in such a ritual would become a factor, because all the while the monster is logged in, his eating timer for ever increased hunger is still ticking and thus the entire tribe would be very busy before hand searching for human meat in order to continue to feed and grow such a monster within the containment of the tribe's membership.

What if, a normal human guild was offering itself up for human sacrifice?
    I think we all know and understand that if and when we do die, we do loose something in the way of skill loss. "So sure, why not? The line starts here" :p

What if, a normal human guild begins saving their own death's meat to feed such a monster or to sell on the open market by becoming a human fresh body part collector. This is where the Cannibal Skill, is the only skill that allows any player to collect consumable meat from any NPC or player's human corps.

What if, when a cannibal tribe does bring out to a battle their super monster, how will that effect the battle?
    If you can imagine that it is like Star Wars, where the smaller ships can only go so far away from the mother ship... I can imagine that all the other tribe members would be scurrying back and forth between harvesting all the dead human remains and then back to the tribe's way of preserving the meat for later consumption or running back and forth feeding the "ever increasing hunger of the monster".

What if, "the farmers" want to create such a "counter monster" feeding it only vegetables in ever increasing amounts to grow it into a pet for protection?..... o_O
    I think we need to cross or better discuss something like that at another time in another thread if that could ever be possible. But why not... :D

Chew on that a while ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

@Crossbowsoda,
    I realize now our folly. I assumed this thread was resolved months ago, but as it now has more postings than it did when we "finished" it, I was obviously mistaken. You should have posted the doc in its entirety here when you finished it. There would be at least 4 less pages! But, I must admit, there has been some new, good ideas generated. And it is nice to see the 'anvils' passionate about their beliefs and concerns for this topic.

Please keep me in mind when you decide to run down what the mechanics of an 'angelic' character might be like. I hope the discussion about 'good' engenders as much passion and comment as this thread about a single evil concept does.

To reiterate what Crossbowsoda has said so eloquently, if you have not read the doc in question, you should. It is very well written and addresses many issues of benefits and penalties associated with cannibalism.

*edit - Time Lord, I like the monster idea. You should start another thread and run that down a little. I'd be happy to contribute to the possible mechanics, specially if Crossbowsoda is on board. ;)

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

An M rating is a fair bet though from what I've heard of Age of Conan it doesn't sound very tame.. but that's just an impression and relatively irrelevant anyway.

Player interactions (ie RP) can't be rated so they don't factor in at all. Otherwise you could justify giving some online games an AO rating. I shudder to provide an example but Sims Online was poorly executed and poorly managed. Players pretty much ran rampant. To give a tame example.. I was sitting on my lot by myself one day and someone popped in and the first (and only) thing they said was "wanna ****?" So which of course I replied no and they immediately left. The game was rated T but the players turned it into an AO environment. There was no regulation there at all. I generally didn't go looking for that stuff but I had heard stories of couples basically being on display among other things.

Basically all games are rated based solely on the content they ship with. I suppose that example wasn't really necessary.. perhaps it was a subconscious urge to take a jab at EA. :)

17. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Jivalax, absolutely!

I think that if we follow our initial pattern of building off of existing mechanics to lessen the burden on the design team and create something that players like, we could develop another pretty solid feature - one that will hopefully encourage PvP on the other side of the fence and also promote playing some distinct and challenging archetypes!

Someone had a pretty cool post on the forums recently.. a pic of this fiery paladin that said, "Lawful Good doesn't always mean Lawful Nice"

That's what I'm going for. :D

edit: found it! He's not fiery, just orange.. :p

[​IMG]
    Original credit to whoever posted this first! Very cool post, man/ma'am!

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually the doc was originally posted in its own thread. There were two threads after this one I believe.

19. Jivalax Azon

Jivalax Azon Avatar

Probably, it was submitted to the dev team and all. But it could have been posted here. If we do this for the 'angelic' concept, we will post it in the same thread, I am sure. And if that does go, Bloodgood and others who might consider yourselves PK killers, your input would be invaluable! Of course those who are pro-cannibalism here would have to act as the anvils there! ;)

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

oh yeah and TL's monster. A little too fantastical for my tastes.

Time Lord and crossbowsoda like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.