Elves NPCs

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Elwe Thor, Jun 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

(and, maybe, the playable race, in the future, if it will happen)

Elves in SotA are really too much awful: they seem much more martians. :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I nearly can't believe that a race which should be far more beautiful than humans is so terribly ugly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

please... PLEASE... :(

Cianna, Montaigne, Galamar and 8 others like this.
  2. Ariella Shadowdancer

Ariella Shadowdancer Avatar

3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

4. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

They kind of remind me of Skrull.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

The devs at one point said there would be a different look for the "good elves", with pupils and eyebrows to make them look friendlier and more human.

Was discussed in this thread,
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...n-new-britannia-lore.11837/page-7#post-202169

I suggested at the time that elves could look friendly, beautiful even if they had black eyes and no eyebrows, similar to the "bad elves", ie. for a partial example,
    [​IMG]

6. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Impressive HOW YOU'RE RIGHT!!! :eek: :(

[​IMG]

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Correct: whole black pupil eyes should be dark elves.
    BTW: I avoided posting your same image as it reminded me more fairies than elves... :D but I understood you posted it to highlight eyes' pupils. :)

Even if elves won't become a playable race (but who really knows?) they should be made extremely far beautiful than nowadays... I confuse them with goblins... :(
    (and, yes, I hate J.K. Rowling about the "house elf" she used... Dobby... soooo terrible)
    [​IMG]
    She really had no idea (other than to make money) of elves.

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

(Drinks from an elven skull filled with their tears and blood)

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Though, fairies and elves weren't really different in real world lore during the middle ages. :D Wherever the game goes with this, it doesn't necessarily need to follow models set by Tolkein, D&D, etc.; it can create its own lore.

I suggested they keep the black eyes and also lack of eyebrows to keep the "good elves" a bit alien looking, like fairies, and have something in common with the "bad elves" int he game. But they can be still made to look pretty regardless.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

By the way: I read the thread you linked... it seems incredible to me there still are players writing "just no", to avoid something they really don't care, just to avoid others to reach what they like.
    I don't like to insert controversy even here, as the topic is "something I'm asking to devs" not to players, but it's just sad to see (I'm not speaking about jokes or similar things, obviously).
    Seems too much obvious but, if I'm an archer, I don't go spamming a thread about swords or polearms with my "just no" sentences. At least this should be a collaborative place.

Cianna and Leostemplar like this.
  11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Strangely, I always considered the orc or headless far more beautiful than the elf. But then its not so strange to me, as I consider the coveting of Elvenkind strange and unnatural.

Elves, I could only see as cursed beings spat out, reviled, expelled, rejected as profane by Nature who unfurls her winds, casts her waves and sends in her animals to devour their race. That would have made a great intro to the game? Then the kobolds build a mausoleum from elf skulls., paint each other in elf blood, then engage in orgiastic ritu... (Wh is everyone looking at me funny)

12. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

You've written a musical about this already? :)

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  13. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Well, yes.

14. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I feel your concern. But at the same time, why do elves always have to be the same? Different takes on elves isn't a bad thing. This isn't DND or LOTR or EverQuest. It's SOTA! I'm ok with their take on elves.

15. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Share with us, I beg you. :D

16. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

17. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

I agree about your considerations but... I'm sorry to say, this post is about my one's. :D
    Also: in another thread some of us asked to have better human models... if humans had those "martians" models that would be your concern also. ;)

I didn't mention J.R.R.Tolkien, nevertheless I still think elves should be represented far better than the average goblin.
    That's come from northern's popular traditions: who can believe to an "ugly fairy"? it's a nonsense. The same for elves. That's my belief, not necessarily shared by all: I'm only asking the staff to use at least half of the effort they're using in shaping the human race.
    Maybe not today or tomorrow, but having time.
    Maybe that's not important to you, but it's important to me and to many others.

Alternative: call them with another name, please, I'm sure they don't lack the fantasy needed to forge a whole new name for a race that, with "elves" have nothing to do.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    Cianna, Lord Baldrith and Leostemplar like this.
  18. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

Why not call them jötnar then? or jotunn?

I'm only saying I suffered, when J.K.Rowlings used an "elf" which was like the worst of the goblins, into her Harry Potter's books, and I think I'm not the only one: that's makes me a little unconfortable to this side of the game.
    There is plenty of names, good and usable names, if they don't like to make "beautiful elves" (even if I've some problems in understanding why a company would like to make it's customers unconfortable).

Summarizing: I'm not asking why the "elves" (or "an NPCs population") have to be that way, as the devs are obviously free to create whatever they like. I'm asking to have "beautiful elves" OR every other name for those "martians".
    If they (the devs) like to understand a player's (and customer's) request it's ok. If they don't like, that's another element which will make me to choose to go elsewhere to spend my money. I'm not seeing that as "a problem" as there is plenty of games where to spend money into... if that's not a devs' problem. If they don't care, I won't care the same.

And that's not "only a name", but it's "a name with a meaning", at least to me.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

FWIW, I'd prefer they use a different name. I prefer original races that reduxes of trope races. But it may be too late for that.

20. Elwe Thor

Elwe Thor Avatar

My considerations starts from the reasons they do everything: devs are crafting "better humans" to please players (which will reward them with real money), the same they're crafting a good background story, nice houses and castles, nice environment, etc.
    If players will like what they're doing, they'll earn money for their efforts. If players will be displeased, considering some (players') adaptation to a "new world", they won't earn money. It seems simple to me.
    At the moment, I'm giving a feedback, I'm pleased about many of the things I saw into SotA... apart the targeting system (and I gave my feedback into other threads about that, and they worked on it) and elves: I'm giving them "a feedback".
    Up to them to take it or to trash it (trashing my money also). Half of the choice is them, half will be mine. That's simple too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.