Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbrance

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I found encumbrance very annoying. I do however understand why it's in the game.

A much higher weight limit would enhance the game's playability IMO.

One of the things I like about decks is that you can switch outfits by pressing I think "X". Now the weight limits are so low that I can't carry two outfits. Ruins a great feature of the game.

2. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I agree completely. Encumbrance makes me want to stab the game in the face.

Really needs to be eased up on.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

LOVE Encumbrance! It makes me want to double down on my pledge.

Leos, HokageFont, Pedro Luis and 11 others like this.
  4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I find there are two kinds of people in a game - those who enjoy being tortured, and those who enjoy fun.

There aren't many of the pro-torture people around - they seem to be a very small group of people in modern times.

Maybe they could add in a checkbox on login "Do you want the game to whip you and make you crawl around a lot YES Mistress/NO thanks I don't think so" and then people who like to be brutalised could have all the pain mechanics they like, while others could just get on with other things.

HokageFont, Lyran, foobard and 8 others like this.
  5. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

What about halving the weight of what you have equipped? It is easier, after all, to wear things than carry them.

6. Drocis the Devious

Everyone has an idea of what's fun and what's not. But it's important to remember that there are many other games that offer the version of "fun" you're talking about. There are not many that offer a version of fun where the mechanics support roleplaying.

The reason I spent 1000's of dollars on this game was so I could roleplay. Not so I could be on RPG Facebook.

7. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Want to be able to carry more, increase your strength should help. I like that we have to really think about what we can carry with leaving room for picking up items. IMHO, of course

8. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I find I can play at anything just fine without encumbrance.

I expect most people will find the current encumbrance far too restrictive, whereas you are making it clear you actually enjoy having these things forced on you. For that reason I'm not sure your feedback is going to be helpful for the bigger picture (taste of most players).

foobard, StarLord, amaasing and 2 others like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I don't speak for anyone but myself.

You should try doing that too. Speak your thoughts, don't project your style of play on "the masses". You don't have a right to do that.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I like it, but it could be improved by making it more transparent. Someone made a good suggestion about showing a paper doll when adding things to your inventory showing how encumbered you will be. That is an excellent idea. On top of that, the game should prevent people from being over-encumbered. A simple, "You are carrying too much junk already" message would be fine.

The argument about multiple gear is a fair one, but I think that is a price to pay. This is not WOW, but in wow, you pay the price by giving up bag space (or you used too). It is more or less the same thing. Think of weight as bag space.

11. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I find I am usually in "the masses" when it comes to things like that. Someone has to be, so I don't think it wrong to mention that when it's true.

amaasing and Lord Baldrith like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Using that logic, all it takes to discredit this statement is for someone else to show up and profess to be part of "the masses" while taking the opposite point of view that you have. Again, speak for yourself. You have a right to voice your opinion, not to voice the opinions of other people.

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Geez, there has to be encumbrance.

I pretty much knew we would get posts complaining about it when it came in.

This is a part of the equation of gameplay...it allows for control of the overall game by not allowing someone to basically cary anything they want.

Now, that's not to say their shouldn't be in game mechanics to help with carrying more things. Things like Mules you can buy or magic bags that allow more items to be carried.

But this is an essential part of the game that causes players to have to make choices and not just carry everything. It allows for the player to be more involved in the actual thought process behind what they are doing.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I ignore any comments where people say everyone else...or the majority feel...it is false to use those attributes to enhance your arguement.

15. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

In my opinion, the concept of "encumbrance" is not really understood well actually.

In this, and 99% of other games, encumbrance is tied to "weight" of objects exclusively.

That is only half the equation though. The other half of the equation is "size" of the object, and also what size objects can fit inside other objects.

So for example, in 99% of games, you can walk around with 40 chairs stuck in your backpack because their "weight" allows it. Of course this is ridiculous, because you cant fit even 1 chair into a backpack due to its "size".

Of course this is the realism/"fun" balance. If your going for realism, you should be able to carry 1 to maybe 4 chairs balanced precariously in your arms/hands only (not stuffed into a magically large backpack).

This goes further of course. In a "realism" game, you would never be able to carry suits of armor and weapons taken from bodies of NPC's/Monsters you killed. Especially walking around somehow magically cramming 10 suits of plate mail into your backpack just because your strength is high.

Again, it all comes down to how much do the Dev's feel "realism" must give way to add "fun" to the game. This balance will be different for every person, therefore this thread will never have a "right" answer.

16. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

You want to argue about who is right or wrong? Can you just let me have an opinion, and move on. How about you do that.

I can see you feel strongly about this, so do I. And so will a lot of other people. Right now encumbrance is too restrictive.

amaasing and Lord Baldrith like this.
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Solution to encumberance => pack animals ( go get em! ) :)

18. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Encumberance is wayyy unfair to mages. I picked up 100 of each reg to cast my ice field spell and found that I only had about 15 pounds left of weight left...I do not like the prospect of investing points in strength and encumberance relief on my mage...his spells are already not powerful enough to stay a mage thus far...(hoping I notice a difference at higher levels...can't fight anything higher than 18xp creatures thus far!)

19. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Got them, but seeing as they're not in the game yet...

I can see this as a real problem for us in decorating our houses, something that I see as a fun mechanism is suddenly made very unfun.

amaasing, Gaelis and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

That just allows you to carry more "weight", but it doesnt fix the problem of the "size" of the objects. How can a pack horse carry 139 chairs just because it has strength?

HokageFont likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.