Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbrance

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't know. I can carry multiple houses in my pocket. :D

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think this is a first pass at encumbrance. I could see having reagent pouches that reduced that.

Themo Lock likes this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Or giving mages a skill that is beneficial to them that reduces enbumberance besides strength. I also think the weight of reagents is too high.

4. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

It's either that, or the deeds to the houses we place summon the fastest team of builders never seen before in the universe.

5. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

I suggested a Feather Spell just for this.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It's worth noting the current system does not calculate encumbrance strictly from weight alone.

For example: I had about 20 maps on me and my encumbrance was like 80 something. I think when they create a map case, this will not be a problem. :)

Tahru likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

May very well be the weight needs to be lowered.. but.. if I might shamelessly plug one of my ideas.. (yeah like I don't do enough of that right? ;) ) Processing reagents through cooking or alchemy could be a means to reduce weight significantly.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

It is a great idea Bowen...I hope they listen to that...I like the idea of working with reagents that I buy or find to make them better in many ways including weight and power!

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I shall have to go find and update that thread now.. where did I post it? :) *wanders off*

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I don't love encumberance either, but I do understand it is going to be in the game. At least if you go into the tactics tree you can balance it out. Have you guys seen the 'heavy lifting' tactic? It really helps
    a lot. I was really kind of mad trying to get my house with encumberance, also frustrated trying to locate the bank which was not jumping out at me, and trying to claim pledge items while I could not walk one little bit.
    It was a very claustrophobic feeling to me. I was also cursing the lack of recall at that moment. Amazing all the stuff encumberance brought up;)

Anyway I am doing better now that I've gone down the tactics tree and can carry more. I am not sure about the game having little in the convenience side being fun though. I understand some of it from peoples perspectives, but at this point in development with systems not optimized and the issues we have with early development, I don't like how we have to function. We have a slow map, slow load times for everything, if you're not next to a bank, don't have a home, don't have tactics selected then you are up sh*t creek. And true you do have to think about it which is exactly the point I guess, like call a friend to stand by a bank and zone to them,while we can still zone that is, but don't forget it needs to be YOUR bank if possible, altho you can put things in other banks and just don't forget that they can only be removed from that bank. Oh well I am hanging in there to see where we are going.

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Here, this was it. :) Reagents: Refining & Mixing Spells

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

My amazement never ceases that some people are so giddy sacrificing playability for "realism", over and over again.

Yes, PLEASE make us choose between wearing armor and buying house decorations. Yes, PLEASE make it so we can't change outfits on the run. Yes, PLEASE make us take more trips to bank items instead of fighting mobs or gathering resources. Such FUN. Yay. :(

Probably encumbrance, banking, random encounters, etc. will get better in future releases. But major changes are needed.

foobard, amaasing, Montaigne and 5 others like this.
  13. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Encumbrance is way unfair to warriors. When I add plate mail to my character, he can't even carry anything else.

You see what I did there. ;)

Yes he will get stronger, but that is the nature of my warrior's direction. And at that time he will be able to carry another set of armor but will likely still have encumbrance problems when it comes to carrying capacity and fighting.

amaasing and Tahru like this.
  14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

My mage doesn't really like to invest points in strength...unless it helps his spellcasting or fighting in some way... That's the biggest beef I have with it.

Kutas and Tahru like this.
  15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

How does encumbrance affect your ability to roleplay? Are you saying you can't roleplay without encumbrance? Can't you just roleplay in a world without encumbrance? I mean, in playing this game we're already suspending virtually ALL sense of reality. It is all made up. Why do we need real-life mechanics in a game that features lunar rifts, spell-casting and fictitious creatures? The whole frickin' thing is MADE UP.

I'd suggest roleplaying a dude who can carry everything. Name him Atlas.

foobard, amaasing, Montaigne and 5 others like this.
  16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Never had any issues with encumbrance, can't really test the full effect of balance until Thursday onwards........need to get to a reasonable level with point distribution etc. Never saw it as an issue in UO, cant see it being an issue here.

Senash Kasigal and Tahru like this.
  17. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

While there may be a realism component to the design, I want to believe it is more about choices and decision making. There have been times when Richard, Starr, or Chris have made mention to wanting players to have to make decisions about what to bring with them, what to carry, and how much of it. These are just more decisions and planning that you have to do, not just go do anything at anytime and damn the consequences. Hopefully as encumbrance gets older, things get more balanced.

18. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Why then have any restrictions on anything, it's only a game right?

Senash Kasigal and Tahru like this.
  19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

UO levels of encumbrance are fine. You can carry tons of stuff. At this point in SotA, you cannot.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I am sure almost everyone will agree it will need improvements, but we have to start somewhere. So hopefully, the devs will read this thread and compensate appropriately. Besides that, people should write bugs when it is unreasonable, squeaky wheel and all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.