Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

everytime I find a PvP area it's empty...

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by mike11, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Hi. I am writing about this concern, before I have highlighted it's importance to myself (and others like ofc) but I feel my concerns are left unheard.

I find that the lure to the PvP areas and towns is very poor ATM but the potential for them to be more popular play areas than they are currently, re: empty all the time.

I had found during a earlier release there was a easy to find method which would (attempt) to put players into the PvP zone in a manner that was expected of by other players.
    This really comes down to a playstyle debate as some people do like to have more easily playable areas outside of the main exploration areas which can take care of certain variables beforhand, in order to make ready some sort of meeting for two or more players.
    Two types are really possible and this can have ties with the Overland Map interactions as well (if such things ever developed...) Both friendly meetings or battle type meetings.
    Anyways some things are needed IMO in order to help start players to look to expect more readily available encounters with other players both solo and grouped is needed greatly.
    1. easy available NPC to whisk you away (or other type of method).
    2. some sort of method to earn money or loot by doing this.
    \cheers

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Multiple problems with PvP.
    1. Combat is unbalanced.
    2. Being good at PvP means you grinded for weeks.
    3. Risk outweighs reward.
    4. PvP has little meaning.

Retro likes this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

1. Pre-Alpha
    2. End of Release right before a wipe
    3 = 1 +2

As for your ideas, I am whole-heartedly against #1 in a medieval fantasy simulator game.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

and this again -

trying to figure out a way to bring the sheep to the wolves

LoL

do we really need to go any further with this?

5. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Weins mate, why always so negative? Pull up a barrel and tell Captain Jack what has happened?

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

lol, same ols $#!& different post muhahhaahahha

FrostII and Lockeydragon like this.
  7. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Yep, they don't want to pvp each other, they just want to gank the unsuspecting sheep.

8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@mike11
    I am so completely confused here...
    Are you asking for a way to have PvP introduced into our current system of "Random Encounters" ?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And what does that tell you ?
    It tells me that not that many peeps are interested in hanging out in a PvP area, since the chance of meeting another avatar interested in PvP is quite small.
    What does it tell you ?

10. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

They're wiping servers at the end of the month with the next release. What's the point of playing?

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Reporting bugs and providing feedback.
    Growing the game............;)

12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

yep I'm just reporting bugs at this point. I've never seen another player in chaos crossroads but I've only been there 5-6 times.

E n v y and FrostII like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

End of release before a wipe should mean more PvP, not less. The risk vs reward becomes non-impactful closer to a wipe. After the wipe players will be too busy grinding to become PvP competitive. It won't be until R24 before we see a real increase in PvP, then everyone that didn't grind enough will try to make up the curve and stop pvping.

People don't enjoying losing, and you can only win if you're a higher level, so the cycle is predictable. Anyone that says different is either lying or ignorant - sometimes both.

The biggest problem with PvP is that being good at it requires a huge time sink not pvping. Imagine if being good at say crafting required you to PvP. ;)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  14. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I've kind of given up trying to get people on to PvP.

They won't invest the time to train the chars up due to the wipes...........can't really blame them either.

I still think it would be better if players could actually set their skills during alpha / beta. I really can't see the point in the continuous grind........even if it is only every 3 months.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Why do all the wipes bother people so much? I thought the reason we're all here now was to test the game, report bugs, make it better, and have some fun along the way?

Wipes give the Devs a fresh set of data to analyze for the big changes they install and are extremely important to making sure there is balance in PVP and PVE. It also assures that people will play through the improvements in the tutorials and starter areas. If they never wiped, there would be little to no participation for the early stages of the game. And if there end up being bugs or exploits that don't get found in the new content... then you have a serious issue once you go live and everything is for real.

I know I'm not saying anything new and you've all heard this before. But when I hear people complain about a wipe, it makes me question why they are here right now. If it bothers you that much, then you don't understand the importance of focused data mining and you're being selfish about losing your personal (Alpha) achievements on a partially finished game. We need to test the stuff that they recently worked on and give feedback on it so they know whether it was a good or bad change.

16. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

By the way, I apologize to @mike11 for posting off topic. The thread was leading into "why the wipes are hurting PVP and overall participation and that they are the reason for all of this" (my interpretation) and I commented on that path of thinking instead of your original topic.

So I'll try to comment on your OP...

Sadly, I agree that the PVP areas and towns have low attendance because people do shy away from the game the few weeks leading up to a wipe. But it wasn't much better before the past couple weeks either so you have a valid point. I agree that something needs to be created to make PVP more of a staple in the game. And I don't think you were looking for an "easy to gank" situation as others have mentioned. I think what you are looking for is an easy way for players to join a PVP instance or battlegrounds type of scene where you know that going there gives meaningful rewards and as such will entice PVPers to go there often. I agree that this is sorely needed to keep the PVP fan base happy and active in-game.

firegold likes this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

If players aren't participating in PvP due to the grind and wipes, then allow for leveled alt character builds for testing. Most everyone here who is active during the Releases will have multiple character slots. Just allow any characters created on the 2nd slot to start at level 40 and the 3rd slot to start at 80, both with appropriate xp pools or preset skills or whatever. You can get more complex with this and say, the alts only unlock 2 weeks after a Release, or 1 month prior to a wipe, or only after the primary has leveled to 25 or the primary has done the grand tour or other quests or make up some other gating factors.

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Don't hold me to it but after this wipe I plan on doing that grind.

I'm sure there are some people that could use some release of the forums PvP aggression. I'm a willing target. Probably an easy target at first but that won't last long.

19. Retro

Retro Avatar

Without character levels and PVP skills to determine how powerful your opponent is how do we even gauge a fair fight now?

But here is your answer:
    Heck, I was even pissed that I had to gain a few levels to complete tour guide quest this release, having to grind, even a little before a wipe, is an instant turn off for PVP, at least for me.

20. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

On the plus side, XP gained had been carrying over to new releases as a boost, so not a compete loss.

Link_of_Hyrule and margaritte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.