Excited for final wipe but seems like a catch 22

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Korim Rackham, Feb 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Depending on the type of game it was, maybe. Crowfall has continuous wipes for the gaming world (not character progression). But no, I would never suspect that SOTA would have an official launch and then later have a final wipe.

Really the developers could do whatever they want to do, all rules are imposed by the developers. No?

2. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm hoping Final Wipe means just that. No more wipes ever. :)

Acred likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

It does, the developers have stated that very well. No more wipes ever after the final one on July 28th.

Acred and Ice Queen like this.
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

By saying that it's intentionally incomplete and that's the only reason why it's a bad game and certainly not because of bad design decisions.

Peter Molyneux used to sell his games by over-hyping them and condemning the previous ones he worked on as being "really bad" or "rubbish". Makes you wonder why he released games he himself admits were bad in the first place... Why did he do it? Because it allows him to brush off his previous games as something that the audience couldn't use as a reference to criticize his current product.

"Yes, Fable 2 was bad but why are you stuck in the past? Fable 3 is going to be different and awesome!"
    ... Fable 3 was a trainwreck...

And now game devs these days go:
    "Yes, the game isn't fun but this is a pre-alpha! The final product is going to be different and awesome!"

*shrugs it off*

This is the current trend. "Pre-alpha" is an excuse to sell a product before it's ready. Whenever or not Portalarium is doing it isn't my point; I'm just pointing out that the trend is ugly.

It's not about asking for a finished game, it's about having a game (in any form) to be remotely enjoyable. If your prototype isn't fun then, chances are, your final product won't be either. The game "Indivisible" is a perfect example of how to present (and market) a prototype. While the prototype itself is slightly more polished than most, it's fun from the get-go while only showcasing 4 characters, a handful of monsters and 1 level.

"Darkest Dungeon" was on Early Access for a very long time and it was playable and had plenty of content. In fact, most of the entire game was already there, that particular dev team took the time to polish and fine tune various systems.

It makes you want more while having a good idea of what to expect instead of asking yourself "where's the game?"

Why are you selling a game that isn't fun and/or doesn't have content?

5. HairballHacker

HairballHacker Avatar

Agreed.

But some people like to try and make things black-and-white; you are either with-us-or-against-us; you can't both like-the-game-and-simultaneously-be-critical-of-it sort of mentality. Such are internet game forums.

6. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    [​IMG]

Stahlknecht and Korim Rackham like this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I for one sure continued playing UO 10 years after EA turned it un-fun... so its not really true there is no reason to play a game that isn't fun :p

The reason sometimes is because there is nothing better, that does very little to excuse a lack of innovation and ingenuity.

Korim Rackham and Ice Queen like this.
  8. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I had the same experience when I tried to play Black Desert Online. Yes it's beautiful graphically, but I turned it off to play SOTA also.

9. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

True, i preferred UO pre Trammel, but i still had fun with it after. I still play off and on now on the official servers. I feel the fun factor in UO even now offers more than im getting in SOTA at the moment. I have attended some events and they can be fun, but its mostly listening to the Radio deal, and then tons of people showing up and just dnacing everywhere or casting magic spells on dustballs. That been my experience so far lol

Ice Queen likes this.
  10. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

Keep in mind your "fun factor" comparison is between one game that has been finished for several decades, and another that is still in development.

Korim Rackham likes this.
  11. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

My point exactly.

12. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I'm not seeing the point you're making. I'm just pointing out that it is normal to find one completed game to be more fun than one that is not finished.

13. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

That im having more fun currently playing a game that was developed decades ago, however i did read through changes for the new release and im excited to check it out.

Jordizzle likes this.
  14. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Now that is something I'm looking forward to, I just hope it will be somewhat tied into roleplay and wont be some arena type combat with points and WoWesque sillyness :p

I'm not really complaining about SOTA and UO, its two games I learned to make my own fun in. But there are always moments where I swell up emotionally and I think "what would happen if we took the same people and gave them a human game instead of a machine".

The answer that comes to mind is most likely to make me burst into tears, but as per the forum rules "noone wants to hear about that". :p

Or as deadpool would put it : *censored*

Jordizzle and Korim Rackham like this.
  16. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

Understand where your coming from. /Cheers to hoping to be pleasantly surprised in the future!

Ice Queen likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh you will, there is no doubt about it, I'm not worried about the result (I loved every ultima, UO, Tabula Rasa, sometimes their music pops randomly in my mind and inspires) :) but the reason we're philosphying on the issue is how its going to be perceived by the masses we hope will be joining us on the journey.

Sometimes its not what you do but how you do it... port are very, very competent and professional and the service I received was without blemish everytime I had a problem.

I wish that everyone in the team was as passionate as @DarkStarr who obviously takes of his own personal time to clarify and communicate, just look at his official posts and you'll get that old UO feel which I appreciated before I even understood how hard it really is.

Nobody is perfect, but sometimes you have to dive head in and accept the precarious situation of working art and logic at the same time.

18. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

It was fun having so many people congregate in cities like that, made the game feel so lively. It was a bit messy at times with all the text everywhere but I'd love to see that many people in one city/scene in Sota. Currently it isn't possible. :(

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and rez like this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Because it would get very expensive very quick, thats the way cloud server pricing plans are done these days... its kind of a shame, I hoped there would be an option to pay a subscription and have some limitations lifted so the very passionate among us could enjoy a fully featured MMORPG.

Maybe @dallas can clarify why this feedback from some of us was not taken into account. Why the F2P model ? I think it might be because its easier to handle law-wise, cause subscription companies need bigger customer support structures etc...

Ice Queen likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We must remember than a 3-d game with collisions and how Unity is setup right now, the bandwidth is HUGE... its insane compared with UO... in fact I've been arguing about changing the model to no avail...

I'd bet quite a big chunk of our money goes to pay for those cloud central servers, even if a big part is hosted @portalarium, as it should be, but I sure wonder how much is rerouted.

Korim Rackham and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.