Experience point loss has removed the incentive to adventure and explore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Why are you looking that much on your “possible loss” of experience? Did you pre-decay also looked at your pools and compared it to solo ginding and complained that you lose exp during group play? Or is it more the “additional loss” (lesser exp than in solo and now additional decay) that made you stop to play in groups? No offense I just want to understand it why the complains are that loud now with a clear indicator (decay) but not with an less clear indicator (solo vs multi).

I’m currently adventure level 69 (yay finally not 68 anymore :D) and just to get a feeling as I normally do not care that much about my pool I took randomly a closer look at my pool during some solo adventuring in the graff gem mine.
    My pool is currently around 60k and I would say I die a lot in e.g. the graff gem mine…at least once an hour. The reason is simple I pull accidently to many enemies or some join the fight when they see me fighting one of their friends.
    Solution to die less is simple too…just fleeing if I do not have a chance or if it is dangerous…but I mostly simply refuse to do so. They got me and I’m prepared to die and so I finally simply try to take one of them with me and I’m pleased if I was able to do so.
    Honestly with my adventure level the loss of decay is quite irrelevant. I did not count the exact number but I just lose some thousands exp and they are back quite fast…to tell the truth my active skills are sucking more on the pool. I think I maybe have to deactivate some skills as even if I do not die my pool stays around 60k and quite easily drop below 60k if I visit a starter scene with lesser experience gain.
    I would say the 10k daily bonus still compensate at least most of all decay loss I could be effected by dying multiple times.

Stundorn and Max Bennis like this.
  2. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Absolutely Correct...
    Also correct - AT LEVEL 69.

Come back when you get to mid-80's, and we'll talk again about how irrelevant skill decay is.

Colgarra likes this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Weins said "Middle of the road gamers are the ones who are affected and the one who will makle up the base of the game"

And i said. I'm one of those middle of the road players, and dont feel like he said.

That was my point :)

People should 1. Post their loss and 2. their total Pool.
    3. Say why they want to progress further and if they are able to solo t5 areas.

I'm still leveling skills to 80 and dont have any skill beyond 80, i also dont see or feel i need to do this.

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Defensive skills and practice not dying, many people neglect defensive skills and many do not run from a fight. I can tell you at the lower levels I ran all the time. Too many mobs get on me, and was running, just ask cind, all the time I was run cind run.

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

This is it!
    I allways have a plan to get out of Situation, if i'm suprised by respawn or too many mobs in general.
    I die when i group and want to safe the others as a healer and dont care for myself, because i then think if we need to die, we die together. Most Melee dont know when it's better to run away.
    Blink was in my deck from the very begin on and it saved my life more than once

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  6. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hmm, for me, at level 100 it is still irrelevant.
    I loose 150k or so on death (or was it 250k? meh doesn't really matter to me), that's absolutely nothing. And i don't powergame anymore, i play for maybe 15 hours/week.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    Stundorn and Sakarisei like this.
  7. Sakarisei

Sakarisei Avatar

I've got a friend who is Adventurer Level 96, and the experience decay of 200k since from one skill at lvl 120 is still irrelevant for him. The only thing which I'm surprised is about which people at level 80 has left the game because it. Seriously, 10k of exp decay is nothing... absolutely nothing.

8. ship2

ship2 Avatar

A friend of mine came to help me with a troll, died and lost 80k xp as a result. Took her a day to make it back, made me feel guilty my lame ass needed help. This death penalty xp loss system sucks.

9. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

If someone looses 80k xp already on death and needs a whole day to get that back then he/she is doing something wrong.

If you loose already 80k xp on death you should be able to kill 1k - 4k xp mobs easily.
    40 kills on 2k xp or 80 kills on 1k xp mobs don't take you a full day, more like 30 mins or maybe an hour if you are in no rush.

Of course if i am ADV Level 80-90 or so and i spent all my XP points into a few skills just to get them to 100 or even at 120 then i will loose a lot of XP on death and my overall ability to hunt for XP quickly will suck massively because all my other skills just suck or are not even trained...

Stundorn and Sakarisei like this.
  10. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

I've checked on QA Server how much XP i would lose on death. I didnt died for months but i would lose 300k. And i would need also a whole day to recover because of the way i play.
    Maybe even 2 days because i would be angry about the time Portalarium stole from me.
    And everybody knows stealing is not nice.

Mata and Tetsu Nevara like this.
  11. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well if you can wait another year I will try to reach mid-80's till then. ;)
    Ok but then I think decay is really not a “problem” for casuals as even if you take it slow latest with mid-70’s you can finish the story and join end contend. I would guess growing stronger isn’t that important at that point and with mid-80s I would guess you can visit mostly every scene in a group of similar strong avatars and survive the challenges even if you still die from time to time. Of course I would say at mid-80’s decay will be quite expensive but I guess it will also be easier to get experience...maybe I'm wrong but I wouldn't think that it will be exorbitant more difficult to compensate the "loss" during adventuring in the mid-80's as it is in the mid-60's.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I don't really understand, do you need 10 Minutes to kill 1 mob? Maybe switch your farming zone if it is too hard?
    I mean, you can make 300-400k xp in one hour in a simple zone like Deep Ravenswood... Expecially if you are so high in level like you obviously are with loosing 300k xp already on death.

Stundorn likes this.
  13. SteelCore

SteelCore Avatar

No, but if i go mining gold in elysium mines i can kill only 5 mobs in 12 minutes. We all have different playstyles the way we like, i wouldnt demand others should copy my playstyle...

Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  14. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Not everyone is a damage producer. Healers don't exactly kill things fast. Since the healing tree is the second most expensive tree it is entirely possible for players of high levels not to be able to pull 300k an hour.

Mac2, Stundorn and Mykll like this.
  15. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

Actually it doesnt matter how much you lose or how long you need to regain the xp. This isnt or was never the problem for me and i think many people feel the same. Only Casuals will/could get problems later and thats none of my Business.

Since i play games with full body loot or massive dura loss on death again, i still think xp decay is the worst. People may like it as death penalty because it gives the death a meaning but only for 2-3 times a day. Then your meaning isnt existent anymore because you lose nearly nothing after it.

It failed as cap and is unbalanced because spec's have to pay more on loss as the JoaT. So even if you like it or not, it needs to be replaced or reworked, because it does not work and many players dont like it. I thought they listen to that what the players want, but atm it doesnt feel like they do anymore. Its like playing a Electronic Arts Game

Mata and Mykll like this.
  16. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Everyone can be a healer in this game, just level everything in the healing tree to 60 or 70 and you are good to go.

And if someone really specced in just healing/group play he shouldn't go out solo to hunt/farm for xp to begin with...
    If he doesn't have friends that help him to hunt/farm for XP then he really either should switch his build or look out for better friends...

Stundorn likes this.
  17. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I was mining for 1 week about 3 or 4 weeks ago, i made 3 million Adventure XP with just mining...

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Again you are making assumption and saying people have to play a certain way. The decay is a blanket amount for all player regardless of how their skills are put into a tree which does not effect all players the same way. So declaring that it's easy for you is very self-center and doesn't take into account how it might be different for other players. You will also note that your example that healers should be ok with the same decay when grouping does not yield the same experience as solo is laughable.

Mykll likes this.
  19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Agree!
    And that's the point where we should rather discuss the skillsystem instead of decay.
    How high is your Pool?

Totally agree, but we need to think about people who play for minnaxing and want their skills at 100+ maybe 120, 150 or even 200.
    Or dont we need to consider that and leave everybody find his personal border?
    Most i guess will exhaust and if there is nothing else they are playing for and cannot reach their goal, they will quit.
    I hope that Portalarium will find a compromise for all playstyles. But i doubt it or it will be again something what will be only accepted by the less extremes and more mediocre and compromise ready players.
    Like SP /MMO compromises we have already to make.

GrayFog likes this.
  20. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I have played pure mage, pure healer, pure dps, pure tank, so pretty much everything with 4 different accounts.
    I am just sharing my experience and giving out some honest advice.

Everyone can play how he wants to.
    But with some playstyles people shouldn't be surprised if they can't farm for enough xp "solo" to compensate for the death decay.

As for grouping with an healer, i never had problems farming XP with an healer.

I seriously don't understand what the fuss is here all about....

Sure, tweak the current death decay system for the better of all, i am fine with that.

But the amount of whining/crying here about death decay is really amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.