Experience point loss has removed the incentive to adventure and explore.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrostII, Aug 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Probably because time is valuable and taking it away for a death is a tax on our game time and should be removed.

FrostII, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mykll like this.
  2. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Your Lot/House also has taxes, getting Gold to pay ingame Lot/House taxes is also consuming your time.
    Even if you buy COTOs with real life cash, getting your real life cash to buy COTOs ingame also costs time...
    So should we remove now theese taxes as well? Because it costs time?
    I fail to see the logic behind this.

But ok, let's just remove everything that "costs" us time.
    Really, i don't know what to think currently.
    What exactly do people expect when they are playing MMORPGs?
    If "time" is not want you can afford to play an MMORPG then you really, i mean really.... shouldn't play MMORPGs at all.

So what do you want then?

-full body loot?
    -massive dura loss on gear?
    -less xp loss
    - none of the above so basicaly no death penalty at all?

How would anything i just listed help with the "cap" and "balance" issues everyone is talking about?

Full body loot and massive dura loss wouldn't do anything to fix the cap/balance issue (what it would do thought is improving the economy, expecially for crafters).
    Neither would "less xp loss" or "no xp loss".

3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The amount is smaller than you might think from this bandwagon post.
    On the one side we have a couple of ppl that just hate the system itself and want it removed. You can spot them rather good because they kept this thread going for FORTY pages now. By purpose of course.
    Then we have a couple of ppl that just blindly belive the above mentioned people. A lot of them were never impacted by death decay and will likely never be impacted by it.
    You can't blame them though. Theory crafting isn't for everybody.
    The whole discussion was confused and rather agressive from the beginning. Now it just turned into pure hysteria.
    Ppl flinging around random numbers to proof points and arguments no average player can follow anyway.

Since the inception of death decay i wasn't impacted by it. I don't die often but when i die i hardly see any consequence to it.

Refining the decay system is all cool and froody. Nobody will be against that. But the way the system is discussed here... man.

Stundorn and GrayFog like this.
  4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Hehe, agreed.
    I don't really have to add anything to it :D

5. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

The death tax should only be walking back to the res anhk that is already enough time taken. I don't have taxes on my lots so that doesn't apply. The decay does not create a soft cap if it did I wouldn't have 97 adventure GMs. what is does do is slow down lower level players from catching up to me which is terrible. It also very clearly does what the OP said it limits players to only going to safe areas and not exploring and adventuring as freely as they are constantly worried about their deaths from doing so.

FrostII, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mykll like this.
  6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Underlines that it's more about the skillsystem and "classes" out of the classless system.
    Former these people get answered they need to skill more skills and selfrestriction is their own fault.
    I do the same, i selfrestrict me, because i want to RP a specific type of a Mage.
    A healer (i was too willing to be a healer) for example then needs always a group (to restock or even gain xp) or need to learn to sufficiently kill mobs when solo.

GrayFog likes this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

It didn't seem to slow down you though.

Sempiternal Dragon and Stundorn like this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I remember a friend saying:
    There were builds in UO that were crap and just "verskillt" , people maybe made bad choices. I did also, but i adapt to some degree and are fine. I learned and some compromises i'm still not willing to do, but i also say if you for example refuse to do magic in this game ( or like me refuse death and fire) you need to live with the consequences.
    And again, there we maybe should talk about this skillsystem instead of Decay.

GrayFog likes this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Then i am an exception.

GrayFog likes this.
  10. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Here is a CRAZY CONCEPT to help with this "so-called" "problem"...... its a crazy new trend SWEEPING the nation!!! Its called "DONT DIE". Its also called "GET STRESSED OUT AND RUN WHEN YOU THINK YOU WILL DIE AND ENJOY THE THRILL". Its also called "FEEL THE PAIN OF DEATH SO YOU DONT DIE ANYMORE" and last but not least, the best one: "DYING HAS CONSEQUENCES, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, DONT DIE!!!!!!!!!". I KNOW, crazy eh? Now stop all the crying and start implementing these concepts into your avatar's life, he/she will thank you BIGLY.

11. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

You can't be serious with what you are saying here.
    Walking back to the res ankh already takes enough time? Please.... it takes maybe 5-10 seconds in most scenes.

Good for you that you have no lots with taxes. So because you have no lots with taxes means that the system is fine as it is and it shouldn't be removed because it doesn't apply to you?
    But death decay now applies to you, so you want it being removed?

So i am going to quote you and tell you the same thing:

Lot taxes don't effect all players the same way. So declaring that it's easy for you is very self-center and doesn't take into account how it might be different for other players.

12. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Speak for yourself, the grind is the only way your avatar will accrue in value, its a basic economic concept. Exp needs to be worth something, and by takin it away when you die, it allows the value of exp to be more than if you didnt lose any upon death.

GrayFog likes this.
  13. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Fixed.

14. Filter Bubble Algorithm

That is ridiculous and a bit offtopic, but I gotta mention how ridiculous it is to make a scene where everyone is equal. I do not like communism, I hate it with a passion. It has no basis in reality. It goes against nature and doesnt benefit anyone at all. Its fine for noobs and non-pvpers to come in and feel like they have a chance because of all the skills being equal but that will not make you a good player. It will give you a false sense of security and you will end up hating pvp even more after getting your feathers ruffled by pros. Who ever asked for FAIRNESS in pvp??? WHY????? When (in reality) 2 people start a fight, there is not system or referee that makes the 2 people automaticaly the same height,... same wieght... same strength.... same sex.... etc.... if they want to duke it out, its up to them and what they were given in this life. Fairness in PVP is a gross digusting political manure dump on the heads of people who seek COMPETITION. I WANT TO BE THE UNDERDOG IF I CHOSE TO BE. Or for the PKs out there, its their god given right to prey on the weak; its the only way the weak every get "fitter".

Back to topic; dont die. Pretty simple. It hurts FOR A VERY GOOD REASON.

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Didn't I predict it ?

Same round of arguments we can see even on page 1 alone, and now they accuse us of keeping the thread alive on purpose, it would have died a noble death if you guys just let it go instead of adding PAGES to it that repeat the same narrative "I won't read the thread but hear out my opinion".

We end up with situations like this, and now bullies that speak in ALL CAPS and disparage community members saying they are ridiculous and worse because they are so frustrated people won't stand for another tax on their fun time.

Sure, we are the hysterics.

@Berek @FrostII

I think we better start another thread that follows where you have left the last comment Berek, that there is going to be adjustment on the curve itself and then we can start discussing about the change without having to explain to people the stuff we settled on page 1-5 because they can't be bothered to read it and obviously do not respect forum rules.

Tetsu Nevara and Mykll like this.
  16. Filter Bubble Algorithm

If you die while "EXPLORING".... you arent exploring properly..... jumping into a group of archers without scouting the strength of 1 of them is just stupidity, its not a death decay problem. Seriously guys, get a grip. The death penalty does NOT prohibit exploring. If you want to go into a dungeon where everything is RED.... just turn around....and even then NOTHING CAN KILL YOU 1 SHOT (walk backwards, giving your back to an archer will allow them to crit, and a critical aimed shot straight to the spine HURTS, play smart!) except maybe a boss or a dragon etc but they are so big, you cannot just stumble onto them..... There is absolutely no way you cannot RUN AWAY from EVERYTHING in this game..... GET SERIOUS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!! Death decay does NOT prohibit exploring. If you can give me 1 example of a place you will like to "explore" and cant because of death decay, I will show you 20 ways to explore it without even getting hit once..... stop charging in like orcs.... this game demands your attention and rushing head first is not going to get you rewarded in any way. Just accept it. Feel the fear of death, its intended.

17. Filter Bubble Algorithm

All you basicaly said is that your team stopped grouping cause basicaly.... you all sucked at the game? Why would you let your teammates die anyways? You are in a group........... holy **** man...... I can understand if its a control point and there is nowhere to run to and you get overwhelmed, but that is part of the game..... the CPs are VERY PREDICTABLE and you can PICK YOUR POSITION BEFORE THE FIGHT STARTS OMFG

THIS ISNT A DEATH DECAY PROBLEM.

Stundorn likes this.
  18. Filter Bubble Algorithm

im 92 and die twice a session on average and play at least 5 times a week..... death decay doesnt even phase me, you are obviously doing SOMETHING wrong....

Stundorn likes this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

I did read the whining thread from page 1 up to 40.

Just change the death penalty finally so we don't have to deal with useless threads about "death penalty" anymore like this one...

But i can predict you something too, another one will arise as soon you change it.
    You can't please everyone, expecially with something sensetive like death penalty clearly is.

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sounds like a great concept for a niche game in 2017, NOT !

We GET that YOU have a STRONG opinion, really.

I agree with the basis of making a true RPG, which is what you seem to state, but with oracle protection and all the "soft" mechanics that prevent any type of negative alignement ? No Siege Perilous ? No moral system ?

This game wasn't meant to be what you want it to be, you should also get a grip, I know it took me a while but I have.

I have cried more than once seeing the unpopularity that goes with the true RPG decisions portalarium has made... I bet they have too, because its a better concept and always was since UO.

Just times change, and people now want to have pure fun.

They want to charge those 5 archers and then die and laugh ! And try again... and again.

The people you see against death decay here for the most part are for a harsher death penalty, so you confusing them just makes you look full of contempt.

Tetsu Nevara likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.