Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

expired public vendor sales

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Lazlo, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It seems strange that the default for expired public vendor sales is for the item up for sale to be to be automatically sold at NPC vendor price. Wouldn't it make more sense for the default to be the unsold item being returned to the local bank?

I know that it's possible for players to cancel sales before they end, but it would be nice if we didn't have to. I'm guessing that the amount of times a seller is content to have their item vendored is close to 0%.

Bom, Tahru, Ice Queen and 11 others like this.
  2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yea, it seems like a really odd feature. I'd rather have it delist so I could try again at a different price point.

3. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Definitively. I have seen a vendor today, who tried to sell some of the pledge rewards. I'm not sure, what would be the NPC vendor price of those or if even one exists, but I am sure, that the player would be rather unhappy, if the NPC pays 20 Gold for his founder house deed.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

If you place stuff on a NPC Player vendor and it does not sell that is the seller problem and responsibility. If there was not time limilt and removal items would just sit there forever.

The system is PERFECT and if you fail to cancel or sell your item you deserves what you get, the game set price for an item.

NPC Player Vendors are not there for players to gouge the community for scalper prices they are there for convenience to move items.

If you want to list items for too much then they wont sell if you want to try another price point the merchant can take it out and relist it the game does not have to do a thing to help players out in this area.

If players fail to manage their market then they will fail as a merchant and this at least gives something for items.

The game nd developers do not need to do anything to coddle players.

5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

No one said anything about there not being a time limit on sales, just that it would be nice if players didn't have to cancel their sales to prevent items from being sold to a vendor for nothing and instead could just get their expired items at the bank just like they do with their gold from sales. There are plenty of items that don't sell that aren't listed at "scalper prices" and requiring players to cancel their sale before expiration does nothing to prevent people from re listing items. Charging a 10% non refundable fee does plenty to keep people charging ridiculous amounts for their items.

Celthon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

While I agree that it is up to players to manage their market, sorry, auto-sell is not acceptable. Returning unsold items to the bank or to an unlisted status on the vendor is not coddling players, it's protecting the player's right to reattempt to sell the items however or wherever they wish. This is supposed to be a player driven economy and the auto-sell to NPCs is a mechanic detrimental to that.

I completely support the idea that items have a time limit and are removed if they aren't sold before then. I would not be against the idea of vendors being auto-put away if they go more than so-many-days without an active item.

7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The system seems to be designed to discourage people to park their items and forget about it. So in theory, people may want to stick to certain region, so they don't have to go all over the place to pull the items that are about to expire off the public vendor.

Recently Owl's head is having issue with public vendor being overflown with items. I'll be interested to see what's gonna happen a week or two from now, when people who don't read the pop up instruction assume that the expired items will go back to their bank, which they are not.

Saosis, Acred, FrostII and 1 other person like this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Nope that is coddling , place an items on a vendor and manage the sale, not just drop and walk away.

Done here peace

9. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

What exactly is the difference between someone listing an item and forgetting about it and someone listing an item, writing down the time and location, showing up on the last day of the sale, and cancelling the item?

zyxe and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

How is it coddling? If your concern is that someone lists items and leaves, then how is selling their stuff back to the NPC the proper response? Just send it to the bank. If they truly have 'dropped and walked' then it doesn't matter, the item is gone insofar as it pertains to you. If they just got busy doing other things, like quests or even real life, then the only difference is that if it was at their bank they could relist it later on. Either way, there isn't much of a difference to you or your game.

If you want to complain about coddling, then find another target, like auto journal or something. Maybe you could get them to change that and you could buy stock in a pencil and notebook company.

Celthon and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  11. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I assume private vendors don't act in the same way? It is only the NPC Public Vendor that does this?

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

For the first option, there are no penalty for a person to dump 50 items on the entire Novia public vendors hence could potentially block everyone else from getting access to the public vendors. The 2nd options, the person will have to do all the micro management work to pull that off. I learned it a hard way when I put taming collars on 3-4 big cities a few releases back, just to find out that I only got 10 gp each from the expired collars. That's when I chose to use no more than 1-2 places.

Again, this is only my theory. It might be worthwhile to have the dev clarify their design during the next telethon or something.

Yes, that is correct. Private vendors do not have expiration on the items (at least the tax free ones.. No idea bout the in-game purchasable one).

Acred, FrostII and E n v y like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

The potential for people to hog vendor slots is exactly the same either way. If that is a problem, the solution isn't to inconvenience everyone without even preventing that behavior.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

I hear ya, but in theory, let's if the items were to go to the bank if expired instead being sold off to the public vendor at crappy price. If someone wants to be a jerk, he can fill up the public vendor with a placeholder items, then replace it with legit items when he needs the slots. If the items just went back to the bank, he would be able to keep doing it over and over. Eventually we're gonna have a post, "public vendor is being gamed and everything is ruined."

Ulrich Alpenglow and Acred like this.
  15. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The solution is to come up with a way to break the cycle without ruining the experience for others.

I would suggest the following limits:
    • number of active listings on any one vendor (for example, 5)
    • number of active listings over all of the world (for example, 20)
    • limit to the number of items that can be placed on the vendor in a time span, such as X number of items in Y days, rolling. (for example, ten items over a week)
    • shorter listing lengths (36 hours max)
    These things would all encourage people to save up for a private vendor.

16. smack

smack Avatar

Putting items on a public vendor incurs fees, even if it doesn't sell. Relisting them repeatedly can be a sink.
    Automatically removing the item (for 50% of item's base value) if it doesn't sell shuts off that sink from future relistings.
    And currently you can only have 10 items on a public vendor, and only for a week, I think.

Perhaps they're watching the metrics on this and will tune this accordingly? Lots of things can be changed here...(re)listing fees, % sell fee, # of total items, duration, % delist returned, etc.

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I could do that right now. Auto-sell has nothing to do with my ability to fill a vendor with junk.

18. Roycestein Kaelstrom

But would you be tenacious enough to withdraw the items before they expire to continue messing with the vendors? If the stuff got sold, then wouldn't you need to come up with new items.

Also there is an edge case where the items go to the bank despite the bank slot is filled up. So people could potentially use public vendor as a loop hole to put items on the bank after it's filled up.

Acred likes this.
  19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

The difference is: When you're tracking your own sales, you're being responsible for your own stuff and well being... When you just put and forget, well it must not be that important to you in the first place, so who cares what price you get for it, you obviously don't and you know the rules, why don't you live by them... Instead you complain and expect others to do it for you...

Saosis and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  20. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Loop hole isn't that big of a deal since it goes to the closest bank, and you're limited in the number of items you list anyway. If you go over, you aren't going over my much. Then there just needs to be a message that you can't stick anything in the bank until you get under the limit. Not really a problem, and especially not an issue for anyone except that player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.