Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

expired public vendor sales

Discussion in 'Release 32 Feedback Forum' started by Lazlo, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I've been waiting for this, must have missed it in the release notes. What NPC shops are selling vendors?

2. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Ooh, ooh! Ahem. "We are currently in development and many things are not optimized." Or is optimization considered a band-aid to you?

3. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It's the home deed vendor.

[​IMG]

Woops. what I meant to say was the change would be interfering with the mechanism that deter people from putting stuff up without having worry about the consequences.

On the side note, some optimization can consider to be a band-aid or work-around depending on how it is being implemented. One optimization may work well under certain circumstance, but once it grows to larger scale, it may no longer be optimized.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Mistake due to my inability to type, meant to put spamming and fingers got tangled :oops: Corrected now ....

5. Rebelweasel

Rebelweasel Avatar

At the very least, they should practice truth in advertising. If the public auctioneer trashes our stuff after it expires, he's not a sales vendor, he's a pawn broker. That's what pawn brokers do, you get a safe period of time to buy back the item you put up for pawn, well... sounds just like this system. So at least rename the npc's to be accurate, right?

6. Sixclicks

Sixclicks Avatar

Yeah, the 10% plus vendoring your item means you'll likely actually lose money on anything worth significantly more than the vendor value. I don't know how much experience you have with other MMOs, but their auction houses don't have limits on total posts (although there is usually limits per player) because they're interface isn't just a long list of everything at the vendor. This game's public vendors obviously aren't actual auction houses, but there's no reason they couldn't use the same or a similar interface that keeps everything organized through multiple pages and filters. It just makes things a lot more convenient and organized and allows for a lot more items to be posted. The only thing I would worry about with this though is that a certain town might eventually end up becoming the hub of all sales and everyone would just list their items at that public vendor and ignore the public vendors in other towns. I'm not exactly sure how to address that if that were to happen.

7. KikkiJikki

KikkiJikki Avatar

So if I buy a vendor, I still need a place to put it, right? So I need to buy a lot somewhere? Or can I just put the vendor in any public space?

Acred and Time Lord like this.
  8. Draco

Draco Avatar

I've read what was said on the previous 3 pages, and this is dumb. Once the listing expires it should just go back to the bank, the way it is is just dumb. You can come up with a bunch of excuses as to why it is a good idea and none of them are valid. Sorry, but if people wanted to vendor the items they would have. As it is the vendor takes a good chunk of the sale price and you are limited on how many sales you can have up. Those restrictions are already enough.

Time Lord and zyxe like this.
  9. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

This is ridiculous. Lag is not being cause by the number of items on a vendor. Regional and local economies cannot succeed by public vendor caps and destroying things that don't sell. There was a post from Chris or Starr last week showing the server load and it is tiny. Our problems are all client-side at the moment.

Search and filter need to be added to the vendor and total listing caps removed. Think of this as an actual second hand shop where a person sells our items for us - that is all this is. What kind of business would say, "I'm sorry, I have too many things to sell already so check back later!" Also, what pawn shop would overwhelm you with looking through a book at everything they have and give you no way to look for what you are interested in? No pawn shop is going to sell your item out from under you for rock bottom prices, either. That entire system is punitive and will result in players only listing through other players taking the risk that the player selling for them will be honest about selling price.

With paging and filtering there is no need to restrict the number of items for sale on a public vendor. Sure, limit a player from listing more than X number of items on all vendors (say 25), but don't limit a player on something they cannot control. The argument that capping listings on a vendor will help to ensure items are sold in other regions is debunked by the existence of private vendors.

The current system needs a lot of work and until it gets it I find it an abysmal waste of time. If I really wanted something I'd have to go searching randomly to find it checking town after town, region after region, until I lucked into it actually being somewhere. Why should I have to put up with that?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Since it takes so much resource to render each item on the gump. They're gonna have to revamp the UI and incorporate pagination or something. Right now it's not really scalable. My client crash one time when I accidentally hit "Take All" on my master chest.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. AndyCr15

AndyCr15 Avatar

I can't see how new players coming into this game are going to like this. I hadn't realised the item was lost if not sold, so I've lost 3 Gold Crowns of the Obsidians today and got 2 gold for the two auctions I had. I don't have a lot of gold, this would have helped me keep going in regs... but instead I lost around 5,000 gold pieces to this weird system. Reading again what the vendor tells me, okay, I was warned. I guess I just didn't believe it would be such an odd system as this.

It's almost as silly as NPC's going to bed, but that's a different thread.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.