Explore Novia! - a player event to see the sights!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Winfield, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

"Explore Novia!"
    A Casual Walking Tour of the Sights of Novia
    A Player-run Event

During the pre-alpha Releases (and maybe in Episode 1), I suggest a player event to "Explore Novia!". It is a sight-seeing tour or adventure to see the interesting spots in Novia. We could/should have tour guides showing us around and lore experts to tell us about the places we visit.

It's a time to relax, meet people, see places, and learn things.

We've heard of the "Welcome Quest" in these Releases. Now we could have a similarly notable event called "Explore Novia!" supported by many players, guilds, and travel guides.

Please use this thread to offer your ideas, questions, and comments.

RELEASE 9:

I am willing to gather up anyone interested to try this idea during Release 9 Part 2. I put the events on the Avatars Circle Calendar, so check there to see if there are any date/time changes. Time Zone Converter. Look for me in the Realm as "Winfield PaxLair".​

Starting Location: Owls Head entrance​
    • August 30, 2014 at 1200 PM (Noon) Central US Time​
    • August 31, 2014 at 1200 PM (Noon) Central US Time​
    • September 1, 2014 at 1200 PM (Noon) Central US Time​

RELEASE 11:

Spooky in Braemar -- see this post in this thread.​

See you at the next "Explore Novia!"

Zantul, Xandra7, Seon and 15 others like this.
  2. Skwal

Skwal Avatar

This is a great initiative! And I would love to have a sight-seeing tour!

3. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I think this is a great idea. A few folks who have helped with the SotA Travel Guide mentioned that they were interested in playing travel guides in game. It's a great opportunity to take the static information that can be found online and give it personality and life.

4. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Is your idea simply to test the concept?

As of now there is little of Novia to explore, and not much lore.

Is party creation enough to get around the mechanics of instancing?

RDouglas likes this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

Great idea Winfield! I would love to participate in this, but only after Ep1 launches. But for those that do, you'll have a blast. Winfield is an excellent host and guide!

I'm one of the few that doesn't plan on exploring the mainland prior to the game being complete. Well, currently anyhow. Not sure how much longer I can hold out. :)

But when I eventually do, I'll use the SotA Travel Guide which hopefully is also available as an in-game book, and any other guides that those of you doing these will write about, perhaps also as in-game "adventure" books I can buy.

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I was thinking more about this.

Considering that in most games, part of the joy of RPG is discovering the world on your own, how is this going to be done without stepping on the storyline? Spoilers could be unintentionally leaked. Besides, much of Novia may be revealed as the story progresses. If it's done after, is there a need? Will the story expose you to Novia in all its glory?

I think this idea fits more for a sandbox MMO. I still have hope that there will be a compelling story that will introduce me to the world to a large extent. Maybe tours of player created things but then again that will be more on the sandbox MMO and probably after the story.

I still have a weak hope that there will be a compelling solo RPG.

7. RDouglas

RDouglas Avatar

Exploring the mainland was the first thing this toon did/smile. I will attend any community held event in support of the game and its contributors/salute. Not worried about spoilers at this point, alpha remember.... we are helping build the game and questlines.... not tearing it apart due to personal desires or character building. MMO's are fun too, if I wanted a strict one person rpg/I would download the one player version. But how much fun is that? To me its the sharing and building together that makes the game and community stronger.... together we can not lose/Hurrah

Back to the studio/creations are waiting

8. smack

smack Avatar

Lum said here and here that access to the main story is being held off until much further into development. Also, Chaox repeated that here, saying much of the story and lore will not be revealed until they go live. And fear not, this is going to be an awesome story-driven RPG. Richard also recently posted how important the single player game (online and offline) will be.

And I have other committed players like yourself to thank for testing and building that community across Novia. While I believe that I can play on the mainland without fear of spoilers, as I mentioned above, I am keeping off it for one reason: the act of discovering a new world. I want that "first time" to be experienced only when the game is complete, not while it's under construction. With that said, go have fun everyone! I shall join you in a year or two...whenever this thing is finally done :)

Gaelis and RDouglas like this.
  9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Prior to Release....

I know that lore is farther out... that's why I'm wondering what the tour would contain? Descriptions of things would be quite simple. I'm wondering if a "customer service" desk might be better where new players (assuming there will be some from DragonCon) can talk to someone in game with their questions on anything. Will people be wanting to explore around this release? Who knows.

"Fear not?" That is a lot of faith you've go there. Very specific things about the story/lore/soloRPG that have been released/said have decreased my confidence. But I've already said my peace in other threads.

Post-Release...

I think the questions I posted originally about the interaction between the story and the open world needs to be understood.

10. Winfield

"Explore Novia!" is an idea to test in the pre-alpha. It could be see 4 cities in 1 hour, or see 3 spooky houses in 2 hours where a guide tells us haunted tales and rumors. I don't think it is any kind of walk-through or spoiler. It is to see the sites and maybe hear some real Lore about something or some fictional stories. People can always ask what will be on the tour before going, and decide if it will spoil their own explorations.

A slow, more fictional and entertaining tour:
    "... and on the right here is the market where fish is sold. Smell how fresh it is! Oh no, that's yesterday's catch. Not so fresh.... let's move on to see the Lord's office. Quickly! Now look at this ornate table. Rumor has it that it was handed down generation after generation ..."

A different tour of more gathering resources approach:
    "... everyone be careful, spiders are around. My guards will protect you though. See how the trees are bronze in color, oh go chop one down Mr. Bluehat. Now, see over here see the rocks and how the ore sticks out. Mine it a bit, yes with your pickaxe. That's good. Let's wander around a bit and gather resources... would like everyone to go home with something in their backpack from our little tour..."

A city tour of more lore:
    "Owl's head was founded by ABC in the year 123, and many guards keep an eye on Outlanders. Now, we pass into the lower area and look at your city maps. You see walled areas so there is an inner city and outer city. We will see the main shops today and talk to some of the merchants if you like. But you need to talk them personally, as I won't tell you want they say..."

So it is up to the tour guides how they handle things, and it can be REALLY creative ... depends on the tour guide a lot to be funny and engaging perhaps.

We could also do fiction tours at night... like in real life the Jack the Ripper tour in London. Many possibilities! All worth testing during the pre-alpha, alpha, beta and onward.

RDouglas, Gaelis, Net and 2 others like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

@Winfield -- I'll participate in any tours that stay on the Vale. :)

EDIT: Or only do those portions on the Vale and meet up wherever the adventurers return back to it.

RDouglas, Gaelis and Winfield like this.
  12. stile

stile Avatar

I should be able to attend.

13. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

As an addition to this tours I thought of several guiding tours with the themes "How to craft", "How to decorate" and "How to fight" go give new players something like a short 1 hour ingame tutorial. Because now it is really heavy for new players to get into the game. We old wise people grew which each release and know the basics.

"How to craft"
    • how to gather and where
    • how to find the public crafting paviliom
    • how to use the recipe book
    "How to decorate"
    • How do I claim and find a lot
    • How do I give permision
    • How to place and rotate items
    "How to fight"
    • How do I get skills, armor, weapons
    • How do I build a deck
    • How to use the combat bar

Jynx, Winfield, smack and 6 others like this.
  14. Winfield

I like the ideas... If we think upon Real Life and some of the events and shows that exist today, we can pattern some ideas after those for New Britannia. Some ideas:

• "Explore Novia!" -- the original idea in this thread to meet up at times, have a tour guide, and go on some new (or old) route learning and seeing a few things (avoiding spoilers, as this is not a game walk-through).
    • Packaged Sightseeing Tours -- similar to: http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/sightseeing/sightseeing-tours - which is sort of how the "Explore Novia!" series could be extended into some packaged sightseeing tours
    • How To ... -- similar to: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tv/ask-toh/ - these could be hands on events or someone creates videos.
    • Sightseeing Videos -- similar to: https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/italy - these could be pre-recorded videos preferably without any spoilers, and narrated like Rick Steves does in his show.
    • Adventure Travel -- along the ideas of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_travel - well, how dangerous could they be? Hope our hosts can keep us from dying. (this would be great for those people who could never meet or find the evil Lich and live to tell about it)
    Yes, these ideas are more in the framework of "sandbox" MMO as they are not walk-throughs. I think/hope there will be enough sandbox aspects to keep our community entertained or entertaining itself for years/decades in New Britannia.

smack, Arianna, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  15. Net

Net Avatar

I am not sure whether I want to be guide or toutist yet, but I am already intrigued.What a splendid idea.

Jynx, Winfield, Arianna and 1 other person like this.
  16. Winfield

Reminder...

Meet at entrance to Owls Head tomorrow (Saturday, August 30) at noon Central US Time.

Around that time you can /zone Winfield PaxLair if there are any instance problems. We will start with a short discussion about this type of event... then Explore Novia (we will stay in The Vale for the first event... probably wander around Owls Head). Will last probably no more than an hour. Much may be fictional on this test run.

We will run the event again Sunday and Monday, more times if there is interest. Be prepared to take and post some screenshots... this could be another "First" in New Britannia for the news.

Arianna, Jatvardur, StarLord and 2 others like this.
  17. Winfield

Just finished our FIRST Explore Novia! event. Great turn-out!

Several Tour Guides led us to see interesting places in Owl's Head

Winfield, Net, Riya, Star Lord

We have images to share of course... and Tomorrow, same time, same place on Sunday, we will have an Adventure version of Explore Novia! We will not go to the mainland. We might do that on Monday.

Thanks everyone! Was great fun and a great test!

[​IMG]

18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Dungeon tours could be fun :)

19. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Here are some pictures taken at the Exploring Novia event. This is the dungeon version. I have to thank Winfield for yet another great event! This time our adventure took us to the Ravensmoor ruins.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Winfield

Our Sunday Explore Novia! event was a big hit! Lots of people showed up and Net led us to the Ravensmoor dungeon. There wasn't much of a chance to see many of the sights or learn about who was in which crypt, but we survived to tell our tales! Thanks Net for leading us and thanks everyone for good adventure fun!

The Monday Explore Novia! during this Release 9 part 2 is scheduled for noon Central US Time. I will probably not be there, but I hope to see the event go on and hear/see what everyone did in this thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.