Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

"Falling" into scenes

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Mitch [MGT], Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Why do we "fall" into scenes?

If I move from a road into a forest wouldn't it be better if the scene transitions in such a way that I WALK into the forest, rather than fall?

Noric likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

It appears we're zapped into scenes with blue flowing energy. And then when we exit to the map, we're zapped again and again with blue flowing energy.

Its completely weird to me. I know that the blue flowing energy is meant to show our temporary invincibility, but its completely dissonant with what's actually supposed to be happening : which is the game is supposed to be shifting perspectives when we go in and out of an area. We're not being teleported between the overworld and a scene !

The invincibility is fine if the devs feel its necessary; but we don't need any visual cues for it... players will figure it out. There's no reason for this major weirdness and breaking of immersion.

Time Lord, Budner and Mitch [MGT] like this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

This blue wierdness is an echo of your entry into this world under the influence of the Oracle. Your spirit gets wrapped in aether upon death so you may be bound to flesh again. You were brought here to serve and serve you will. Death is not the end nor is it an escape.

Katrina Bekers and Mitch [MGT] like this.
  4. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I can appreciate the Oracle spin they've put on the blue energy when entering a scene but there's no reason I should FALL into a scene when I move from a country road into the forest...

Budner and Fister Magee like this.
  5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its not just entry into the world -- you get it every time you enter and exit a scene, where you're actually shown teleporting in and out of the scene. Why does that happen? When you approach a city, does the Oracle teleport you into the city and wrap you in aether? Then, when you approach the exit back to the road, does the Oracle teleport you out and again wrap you in aether?

I'm sorry, but its dumb no matter what explanation you create for it.

Time Lord and Budner like this.
  6. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I suspect Kvow had his tongue firmly placed in his cheek when he typed that.

redfish and Kvow Triumvir like this.
  7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Mostly I'm just not taking things too seriously these days and I'm enjoying myself more because of it.

If we glow blue all the time now at least it explains why all NPCs know I'm an outlander ;)

Mitch [MGT] likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are not seeing the falling animation on scene transitions, only when you resurrect. The visual effect indicates your invulnerability.

What scenes are you seeing this in? Are any other players seeing this falling animation? This was briefly playing on QA but never in live that we know of.

9. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Terribly sorry @DarkStarr I just logged onto R28 "live release" and it would seem the falling is now gone. Thank you.

EDIT: Perhaps entering a scene to a walking animation might work nicely?

10. Noric

Noric Avatar

I loaded into Hidden Valley from king's town and saw a falling animation.

11. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Oh, interesting!

12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Hmm. None of those names match scene names in our game. Do you mean Hidden Vale and Kingsport? We still cannot replicate this internally (the falling animation).

There is a separate issue that would be great if you could report in the bug forums where players are starting high in the air (not animation of falling) when exiting scenes in Hidden Vale.

13. Noric

Noric Avatar

Sorry, yes those two real names were the correct ones. I'll see if i can replicate, but i have no idea if i will be able to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.